The Aurora Changes Schedule

I_r_a

We are booked for The Aurora' Northern Lights cruise starting 28 Nov.

We've just been told that they will be leaving Tromsø @ 11:30PM the night of Dec 3 instead of 03:00 AM the morning of the 4th.

All of the Northern Lights excursions I have been able to find leave between 6:30 PM and 7:15 PM, meaning that we would greatly curtail our tour even if we can arrange for a cab back to the ship by 10:45 at the latest.

Any suggestions?

Ira

Dont know the itinerary of this particular cruise but when we did the "In Search of the Northern Lights" P&O excursion it was when we were overnight in Alta and not in Tromso. We returned to the ship about 1230am-1am and even though very cold -26c it was an experience I will never forget.

Edited by majortom10

I agree with majortom10, when we were on this cruise last November the "In Search of the Northern Lights" P&O excursion was when we were overnight in Alta and not in Tromso. I have just looked in our Holiday Information booklet for last year’s cruise and there were no P&O northern lights excursions on offer in Tromso last year.

Ships log says we arrived in Tromso at 8.30am Wednesday 15th November and departed 4.00am Thursday16th November.

There are plenty of attractions in Tromso but we were able to do our own thing visiting all the sites we wanted to see and still be back on board early evening and well before 11.30pm.

My advice would be to do your Northern Lights excursion in Alta as hopefully there is no change to the overnight stop there.

We did our own privately booked ‘Hunting The Northern Lights’ and ‘Husky Dog Carting’ trips in Alta which were fab.

Log says we arrived in Alta at 1.00pm Thursday 16th November and departed 2.40am Saturday 18th November.

Hope you have a great cruise as we did last November.

BTW, as you disembark on the 10th December we will be boarding Aurora to start our Christmas market cruise.

Hi PP, Mjr Tom and PLB,

Thanks for the responses.

No nightime ship's tours from Tromso except for a recital at the cathedral.

We are booked for a tour out of Alta.  We had hoped to improve the odds of seeing the Lights by going from the two ports.

Happy Holidays to all.

Ira

10 hours ago, I_r_a said:

Hi PP, Mjr Tom and PLB,

Thanks for the responses.

No nightime ship's tours from Tromso except for a recital at the cathedral.

We are booked for a tour out of Alta.  We had hoped to improve the odds of seeing the Lights by going from the two ports.

Happy Holidays to all.

Ira

If you leave Tromso at 11:30, it is possible that you may see the lights while at sea. Worth stopping up for if the night is clear. When we did a similar cruise a few years ago, our best and most memorable sighting was whilst at sea - far better than the excursion we paid for in Alta.

On 11/12/2018 at 7:42 PM, I_r_a said:

We are booked for The Aurora' Northern Lights cruise starting 28 Nov.

We've just been told that they will be leaving Tromsø @ 11:30PM the night of Dec 3 instead of 03:00 AM the morning of the 4th.

All of the Northern Lights excursions I have been able to find leave between 6:30 PM and 7:15 PM, meaning that we would greatly curtail our tour even if we can arrange for a cab back to the ship by 10:45 at the latest.

Any suggestions?

Ira

We had a fantastic display of the Northern Lights from the ship. It was quite emotional really