Carry On Soda and Water

plandcl

Now that it has been a couple months since the new carry on policy for soda and water has been in effect, I want to know what experience people are having with regards to this policy.

Are they strict with the 12 count per state room and 17 oz?  Are they checking close for this or are they not that picky.

You don't need to post what the policy is, I have read it and here it is:

Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom.

I really want to hear from those who have first hand experience.

I have not sailed yet since the new policy has gone in, but on the site we can't mention, there have been posts where people have posted that they were only allowed the 12 pack per cabin.  One person in particular explained they had 3 in the cabin and brought 3 six packs of soda and were only allowed to bring on 2.  

Several others have posted they were no longer able to send their water/soda as luggage as they had previously.  I know you wanted first hand experience, but this is what I have seen via several posts.

45 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

I have not sailed yet since the new policy has gone in, but on the site we can't mention, there have been posts where people have posted that they were only allowed the 12 pack per cabin.  One person in particular explained they had 3 in the cabin and brought 3 six packs of soda and were only allowed to bring on 2.  

Several others have posted they were no longer able to send their water/soda as luggage as they had previously.  I know you wanted first hand experience, but this is what I have seen via several posts.

We boarded Symphony out of Miami last week with handcarry water. Security didn’t even look at it. 

54 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

Curious. Why can’t “the site we can’t mention” not allowed to be mentioned?

1 hour ago, katiel53 said:

but on the site we can't mention,

it should be allowed to mention that site since cruise critic without the app is not the same and is not active as before lol

btw folks the other website is not that active as cruse critic so you are not missing much either

1 minute ago, mcatmcat said:

it should be allowed to mention that site since cruise critic without the app is not the same and is not active as before lol

btw folks the other website is not that active as cruse critic so you are not missing much either

Yes cruise critic is more active but I like the other site as well. Just curious why we can’t mention it. Competition? Falling out? 

1 hour ago, shirazcruiser said:

Anyone sent to the "naughty room" for packing 4-5 17oz bottles of water in their checked luggage as opposed to lugging it in your carryon?

Just like before, other's experience might not determine what happens to you. You might have to go, or your luggage might arrive no problem. Depends on if they choose to bother.

We'll see how this pans out for others, but I suspect that like wine, soda/water will now become a situation where the rule says "per room", but they don't always check who is in what room at security.

I am new to RCI and have only cruised once in general over 12 years ago....

Where is the best place to store beverages?  If you have a carry on, do they check every one?  On larger luggage, do they go through each bag?

As dumb as it sounds (and maybe I am clueless), I want to pack beverages in the most efficient way possible.

On 11/12/2018 at 4:34 PM, plandcl said:

Now that it has been a couple months since the new carry on policy for soda and water has been in effect, I want to know what experience people are having with regards to this policy.

Are they strict with the 12 count per state room and 17 oz?  Are they checking close for this or are they not that picky.

You don't need to post what the policy is, I have read it and here it is:

Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom.

I really want to hear from those who have first hand experience.

Checked my bag at Fort Lauderdale while boarding last Friday, was carrying on 12 Bottles of Soda. They opened and counted... Saw another have to take extra 12 pack back to car, ONE FAMILY MEMBER WAS CARRYING ONE, ANOTHER CARRY ANOTHER 12 PACK...

Edited by ONECRUISER

4 minutes ago, chikinyellow said:

Where is the best place to store beverages?  If you have a carry on, do they check every one?  On larger luggage, do they go through each bag?

As dumb as it sounds (and maybe I am clueless), I want to pack beverages in the most efficient way possible.

Carry on, they will open bag and pull out the soda/water to verify. Had mine in backpack

19 hours ago, chikinyellow said:

...  If you have a carry on, do they check every one?  On larger luggage, do they go through each bag? ...

All luggage goes through scanners.  If they see something on the scan that they cannot identify to their satisfaction, they will ask you to open the luggage so they can inspect.

if you are 2 people in a room and each want to bring a 12 pack of soda/water, can you just separate yourselves in the security line by letting a few people go in between you, so security can't easily identify you as both in one room? I was going to give a 12 pk of water to my parents who are in another room so they could walk it in for me, while I take my soda myself.

1 hour ago, threedogsmom said:

...can you just separate yourselves in the security line by letting a few people go in between you, so security can't easily identify you as both in one room...

Shhhh.... don't let RC hear you.:classic_dry:

Again, YMMV. It's worked for us, but other cruises I read where they took inventory of every person, whether they were together or not.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:16 AM, chikinyellow said:

We were just on the Anthem earlier this month and I packed a case of 32 bottles of Dasani in a duffle bag and sent it with checked luggage.  We were called to the naughty room, however, as soon as they determined that it was water, we were allowed to take the bag.  This was in Cape Liberty (Bayonne), NJ.

• 4 weeks later...

So we are a group with 3 cabins booked and want to take a total of 24 bottles of soda plus 2 boxes of shelf stable milk.  We also would like to put this all together in one small wheeled suitcase.  Looking for anyone who has experience showing them that they have more than one cabin and are splitting the soda?