Are there Fjord tours from Oslo?

sinned19

I don't know about other excursions, but Oslo sits at the head of the Oslofjord and the sail in/out is lovely.  We had a great day there on our Baltic cruise in the summer of 2009.  DIY touring is very easy and interesting.

Unfortunately the Oslo fjord is not the nicest fjord. Oslo is too far away from the famous fjords. If ever try to sail to/from Geiranger or Flam.

The Oslofjord is technically a fjord, and it is a long, scenic sail-in/sail-out. However, it's nothing like the iconic fjords on the west coast. The Oslofjord is surrounded by low hills, and the scenery is similar to what you'd find in a large dammed-river lake. The western fjords are where you'll find the towering fjord walls, waterfalls, and surrounding mountains. As mentioned above, you should consider a future cruise that visits Geirangerfjord, Sognefjord (Flåm), or any of the several other fjords and fjord ports.

It is technically possible to visit the western fjords on a very long daytrip from Oslo. This is called "Norway in a Nutshell" and includes the train from Oslo to Myrdal/Voss, the Flåmsbana mountain rail between Myrdal and Flåm, and a fjord cruise through Sognefjord and Nærøyfjord. However, it is extremely unlikely that your ship would be in port early enough and long enough to make the trip.

Edited by kaisatsu

Thank you to those who expanded the answer to the original question to include other Norwegian fjords.  We're looking forward to a mid-June cruise entitled Land of the Midnight Sun (we'll be above the Arctic Circle for the solstice) that visits Stavanger, Flaam, Geiranger, Trondheim, North Cape, Tromso, Gravdal, Alesund and Bergen.

It is technically possible to visit the western fjords on a very long daytrip from Oslo. This is called "Norway in a Nutshell" and includes the train from Oslo to Myrdal/Voss, the Flåmsbana mountain rail between Myrdal and Flåm, and a fjord cruise through Sognefjord and Nærøyfjord. However, it is extremely unlikely that your ship would be in port early enough and long enough to make the trip.

Hmmmmmm ... I don't think so or at least agree with extremely unlikely that your ship would be in port early enough and long enough to make the trip.

I just did Norway in a Nutshell one way Bergen to Oslo with an overnite in Flam altho you can book it as one day trip - LONG day.  Problem for the above plan is the train ride from Oslo to Flam is 5 hours as I recall. To go Oslo to Flam and return is 10 hours alone ... before you take any form of a boat ride or even the train - Flam Railway ... a different train than the Oslo one ... down to the fjord. You can't even see the fjord from the 'Oslo train' station, you need to transfer to the Flam train and go DOWN the mountain.

Bergen/Flam train is a couple of hours and the Oslo/Flam train is about 5 (each way) b4 you add in the boat ride and the Flam railway

You can explore the options yourself at https://www.norwaynutshell.com/

boarding the 'ferry' for the fjord tour as part of Norway Nut

IMG_1148.JPG

Pictures fron our stay in Flam ... very peaceful once the cruise ship left!  An YES that is people swimming!

IMG_1160.JPG

now THAT's a fjord!

IMG_1165.JPG

Edited by Capt_BJ

1 hour ago, Capt_BJ said:

You can't even see the fjord from the 'Oslo train' station

This doesn't make any sense. You would definitely be able to see the Oslofjord from the Oslo train station, as long as you were at the south side exit. The only issue is that the construction staging for the new library may be in the way at the moment.

I'm guessing you mean the Myrdal train station? Most of the long-distance rail lines in Norway terminate in Oslo, so the Oslo-Bergen rail line that passes through Myrdal is referred to as the Bergensbanen -- i.e. the "Bergen train" rather than the "Oslo train". (Unless you're from Bergen, obviously! 🙂)

13 hours ago, sinned19 said:

Thanks everyone,

In my case it is not feasible, the ship arrives at 7 and leaves at 2 PM.

Then if it was my decision, I would focus on the museums on Bygdøy... My favorites were the Viking Ship, The Polar Ship Fram, and the Folk Museum... Bygdøy is very attractive and the museums are great!

10 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

Then if it was my decision, I would focus on the museums on Bygdøy... My favorites were the Viking Ship, The Polar Ship Fram, and the Folk Museum... Bygdøy is very attractive and the museums are great!

Thank you naturelovergirl I will check it out!