barcelona train station

brandybit

We are disembarking in Barcelona (ship arrives 5 am).  How much time should we allow to get to the train station for a 9:30 train to Paris?  Not sure how far from the terminal the train station is, or how complicated it is to find our train....   Any info is appreciated.  We plan to just carry our luggage off the ship.

Google maps gives the weekday morning travel time to Sants station at between 16-35 minutes. Spain is unique in Europe in having x-ray screening for baggage of passengers embarking any high-speed train, so I would probably want to give myself 30 minutes before departure, so aim to be there no later than 9. So if you're off the ship by no later than 8:30 you should be good, but of course if you're like me you will want to pad that a bit to allow for time to get a taxi and such.

Sants is fairly large, but quite easy to navigate. You check the big board to see what platform you're train is departing from, then make your way to the associated security checkpoint. The security check isn't that big a deal - just x-raying of bags, usually goes quite quickly. Then you go down one level to the platform, via either escalator or elevator.

The Man in Seat 61 has a video of the journey: 

I think it took us about 20 min to get to Sants from port with taxi. But of course it could be longer. Security is fast; I suggest having tickets printed as sometimes they can't read the barcode from the phone 

• 4 weeks later...