Live from the CB 11/11-25/2018

satxdiver

I am on the CB right now and will post some things I am seeing.  First the important officers:  Captain Mario Ciruzzi (Italian), CD Michael Reitano (Aussie), Maitre’d Guido Ascolani and CSD Elke Pointecker. 

Formal nights: Monday, 11/12 (at sea), Tuesday 11/20 (at sea) and Friday 11/23 (at sea). 

TD dinner 5:15, 5:30 and 7:45 - we are doing 2nd seating

Theater shows: 6:45 for late seating and 8:45 for early seating.

Since the Regal was in port, CB boarded from slip 4 located next door.

We advanced the clocks at 2:00 AM Monday.

CD announced at the show Sunday night that there were about 1100 US, 500+ Canadians and 500+ UK aboard and that there were over 30 countries represented by the pax.

We pre-booked 3 ship excursions last spring.  I noticed that of the 3, one now is $20 more, one $15 more and one was the same price. 

Internet speed test from cabin near aft.  upload 2.12 Mbps download 26.31 Mbps

Questions?

• Like 1

Outstanding!! Thanks very much for your live report. 

Our cruise begins when yours returns so are eager to learn about your experiences. 

Any and all postings were eagerly anticipated!!

Happy Sailing!!

Edited by Ep010835

5 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Questions?

Assuming you are Platinium or Elite:

a) Was the unlimited Internet still at no cost?

b) If not, when you signed on for your minutes was there an option to switch to unlimited at a reduced rate?

c) If the unlimited was free, what level is it: social, surf or stream?

Thanks

OM

Because I had downloaded the app and input our information all we had to do was present our passports.  We were given our OM and were on board by 11:15 AM.   The OM is encased in plastic (~4 inches square) and attached to a lanyard along with a plastic holder for the older cruise card which can be easily detached.  Upon boarding we placed our OM on their hand held readers and they took the customary pictures.  The readers have a circle on their displays where we place our OM and it turns green.  At the safety briefing the crew was having problems using the hand held readers and did not seem to know how to use them resulting in delays reading the OM.  Security at the boarding areas did not have any problems.

Cocktail servers are still looking at the cruise card to get the folio number but other places like shops use the OM which we hold up to the reader.  Nice touch is that as we approach our stateroom, the door is automatically unlocked so that we just turn the handle.  I keep mine in my pocket.  The door automatically locks when we leave the room like before.  The computer pad mounted where the old mail box was located displays whether the door is locked or unlocked.  Our names (first and last) are displayed on the pad along with room number plus the room number is also displayed below the pad.  When we approach the pad, it displays our pictures which we uploaded on the OceanReady app before boarding.  We order breakfast in the stateroom on the app the day before and I bought a FCD for each of us using the app.  I am able to monitor our folio from my smart phone using the app.   Our steward is leaving the patter and the junk advertisements on our bed each evening.  We brought a folder with magnet to mount on the door for mail but so far the steward is not using it.  So far OM is looking good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Assuming you are Platinium or Elite:

a) Was the unlimited Internet still at no cost?

b) If not, when you signed on for your minutes was there an option to switch to unlimited at a reduced rate?

c) If the unlimited was free, what level is it: social, surf or stream?

Thanks

We are elite and get the usual 250 minutes (14 day cruise) free but not the unlimited internet.

Yes  we were offered the unlimited internet but instead of the free time I believe.

I am able to surf the internet.  I have not tried to stream. 

3 hours ago, satxdiver said:

We are elite and get the usual 250 minutes (14 day cruise) free but not the unlimited internet.

Yes  we were offered the unlimited internet but instead of the free time I believe.

I am able to surf the internet.  I have not tried to stream. 

We are also on this sailing. Even though we get the 250 free minutes, I purchased the unlimited prior to the cruise for $99.  When I tried to log in I was only given the option of my free 250 minutes, nothing else.  One of the guys in the internet café had to activate my unlimited package for me.    The first day they had a 50% off special for "as low as $9.99 per day."  So far, internet is great. 

I'm just curious as to how the OM works when you are in your cabin. Once you enter does your picture disappear? Can anyone walking by tell if there is someone in the cabin? I imagine that it's useful for the room stewards to know that. If I was travelling solo though I might not want that fact broadcast.

Thank you for sharing your experiences - it's extremely useful!

Camelia

satxdiver/Sea&SkiCruiser,

My parents are on this cruise. I haven't heard from them since they embark. They usually send me a message every day.

May I ask a favor? They're in L236. Would you please talk to them or their room steward?. If they're not in room, please leave a note asking them to contact me.

Thanks a lot!

April

Can you tell me if "Ocean Ready" is the same as "Ocean Compass"  We have a B2B on CB next year. If I go to Ocean Compass (we have set up an account, but it won't let me add a reservation number. Is "Ocean Ready" only available just before your cruise.?

Any information you can provide will be appreciated.

26 minutes ago, kjg46 said:

Can you tell me if "Ocean Ready" is the same as "Ocean Compass"  We have a B2B on CB next year. If I go to Ocean Compass (we have set up an account, but it won't let me add a reservation number. Is "Ocean Ready" only available just before your cruise.?

Are these apps on the iphone that go with the OM program?

32 minutes ago, kjg46 said:

I recently set up our OR account. It accepted the reservation number of our cruise leaving later this month. However, when I attempted to enter the reservation number for another cruise leaving in 2020, the system told me it could not find the reservation. My assumption is that since final payment has not yet been made for the 2020 cruise, the system will not accept and display that reservation. Just a guess. 

When I search the App Store for "Ocean Compass", it takes me to "Ocean Ready". Seems they are one in the same. 

Edited by Ep010835

4 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Are these apps on the iphone that go with the OM program?

Seem to be. I have an iphone and did a search in the App Store for "Ocean Ready" and it popped right up. Kinda neat being able to add all of this info before boarding. 

Edited by Ep010835

I was able to access my Ocean Ready account on my Iphone today for a cruise in late February on the Regal today.  Finally payment isn't due for over 3 weeks and have not made final payment.  Downloaded the app and was able to put in all my travel info.  Could also bring up my cruise personalizer from the app.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, franktown said:

I was able to access my Ocean Ready account on my Iphone today for a cruise in late February on the Regal today.  Finally payment isn't due for over 3 weeks and have not made final payment.  Downloaded the app and was able to put in all my travel info.  Could also bring up my cruise personalizer from the app.

Good to know  thanks for posting this

20 minutes ago, franktown said:

Fascinating. I just went back and tried to add the 2020 cruise that the system would not accept last night. It still won't accept it. Given that franktown was able to get the system to accept a 2019 cruise, maybe it's function of 2020 being too far out? Who knows!! 

Fantastic - enjoy the cruise & thanks for posting. I have a small favor/question, have they added any new beer to the menu yet? Princess announced in August that they would be adding many more beers, even some crafts this Fall. I was on the Crown in October and they had still no added any.

Thanks...

Wednesday night

While OM is working great (so far) in opening our cabin door, it has a lot more problems.  I was not able to get online last night because all my minutes were taken away.   I went down to the internet café this morning to talk about it and they immediately returned my account to 250 minutes with no questions asked.  Others I have met on the ship are saying they are having problems staying connected.  Now my android smartphone will not stay connected to the intranet so back to the internet café tomorrow morning.

Tuesday night there was supposed to be a production show called Broadway Ballroom but due to the rocking of the ship it was canceled.  The comedian took their place for the two shows in the theater.  We had a rocking night.

Today the ship called on St Thomas.  It was interesting to see how well the island had returned after enduring two hurricanes one year ago.  There was some noticeable damage but it appears most tourist areas have returned.  We spent the morning walking around Havensight mall since we have been here many times.  The NCL Epic and Regal were in port with us.  Entertainer in the theater was Nathan Foley. 

I have noticed that there are 10 window cabins on the Emerald deck that have been torn apart and are being remodeled.  The ceilings are down and they are replacing ventilation ducts along with other improvements.  There are workers aboard that are not Princess employees.  We have been notified that there will be a filming crew aboard making a Princess film but we have not seen them yet. 

At lunch we again went to the Steamers/Planks area for the ramen noodle station which has been great.  Yesterday lunch I had gone to the grill for a beef hotdog and remembered how I did not like Princess hotdogs. Dinner for us is in the Palm MDR (6 aft) and we can feel and hear the engines below. 

Tomorrow we will be in Antigua where we have been before.  We will get off the ship and walk around the downtown area with ms diver doing her usual shopping.   

On 11/14/2018 at 10:57 PM, satxdiver said:

Wednesday night

While OM is working great (so far) in opening our cabin door, it has a lot more problems.  I was not able to get online last night because all my minutes were taken away.   I went down to the internet café this morning to talk about it and they immediately returned my account to 250 minutes with no questions asked.  Others I have met on the ship are saying they are having problems staying connected.  Now my android smartphone will not stay connected to the intranet so back to the internet café tomorrow morning.

Tuesday night there was supposed to be a production show called Broadway Ballroom but due to the rocking of the ship it was canceled.  The comedian took their place for the two shows in the theater.  We had a rocking night.

Today the ship called on St Thomas.  It was interesting to see how well the island had returned after enduring two hurricanes one year ago.  There was some noticeable damage but it appears most tourist areas have returned.  We spent the morning walking around Havensight mall since we have been here many times.  The NCL Epic and Regal were in port with us.  Entertainer in the theater was Nathan Foley. 

I have noticed that there are 10 window cabins on the Emerald deck that have been torn apart and are being remodeled.  The ceilings are down and they are replacing ventilation ducts along with other improvements.  There are workers aboard that are not Princess employees.  We have been notified that there will be a filming crew aboard making a Princess film but we have not seen them yet. 

At lunch we again went to the Steamers/Planks area for the ramen noodle station which has been great.  Yesterday lunch I had gone to the grill for a beef hotdog and remembered how I did not like Princess hotdogs. Dinner for us is in the Palm MDR (6 aft) and we can feel and hear the engines below. 

Tomorrow we will be in Antigua where we have been before.  We will get off the ship and walk around the downtown area with ms diver doing her usual shopping.   

Were you sitting in the show lounge last night, center stage, second level about 4 seats from the right isle with your wife drinking a bottle of wine?

We are also on the cruise and have the same issues with the internet dropping off.   I have had issues trying to log off.  One time it said I was logged off and when I came back from breakfast, I was still connected and was down to a few minutes.  They added the minutes back on my account.  My 250 minutes only lasted less than three days and I switched to unlimited.  They say we do not have to log off but I still do.   Some dancers and some none Princess Medillion people have been manning the internet cafe.  The manager left after the last cruise and the new one was suppose to join us yesterday.   They are doing a great job to help the passengers.  That is probably why they are just giving people minutes back.

We noticed a few suite changes.  No more big fluffy robes - we experienced that a year ago.  Now, the nice thick towels are gone and every cabin gets the same ones.  They stopped giving roses on the first formal night - I would put them in a glass in the bathroom but not that important.  And the plant is gone now - never cared for them so no loss.   I do miss the beautiful flower arrangements of the past.

Club class is outstanding.  We have grown to enjoy breakfast there rather than going to Sabitinis.

The food has been great.  Way too much - we have skipped dessert half the time.   And the Crown Grill was outstanding, as usual.  We have a wonderful steward.  We do not have to ask twice for anything and he remember everything.   I see some big tips being given this cruise.

We have been to all the islands so this cruise is just to relax and we certainly have been.  I went scuba diving with a great new buddy yesterday and we have another one booked.  First time to experience a pig joining us.  She was so good in the truck on the drive over and seemed to love the boat, even with the very rough seas.   But she was very vocal when we docked.  Our dive master brought his small dog alone too.   As usual, we have met some very nice people so far.