4th of July

TwinMommyByGrace

I realize that the ship's registry isn't American and most of the crew is not, as well, but was just wondering...We'll be on board the Oosterdam on the 4th of July.  Does anyone know if they do any celebration or special meal because it's American Independence day? We're in Sitka, AK until 4pm.  Does anyone have any experience with being in an American port on a national holiday? Will most of the stores and restaurants be closed?  Thanks in advance for any information. 

We were in Juneau one year on the 4th. Everything was open and we arrived just as the local parade was in full swing. On board the ship (I think it was the Westerdam but don't remember for sure) there were all sorts of decorations, baked goods, etc. It was definitely celebrated on board. 

Karen

1 minute ago, luvteaching said:

We were in Juneau one year on the 4th. Everything was open and we arrived just as the local parade was in full swing. On board the ship (I think it was the Westerdam but don't remember for sure) there were all sorts of decorations, baked goods, etc. It was definitely celebrated on board. 

Karen

Thanks, Karen! It's also my husband's birthday so any extra little celebration will be fun. 😊

3 hours ago, TwinMommyByGrace said:

Thanks, Karen! It's also my husband's birthday so any extra little celebration will be fun. 😊

Wow  having a birthday on Independence Day got to be a double  fun day con a ship that celebrates the 4th of July :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TwinMommyByGrace said:

Happy Birthday (a bit early) to your husband from another "firecracker"!

1 hour ago, TwinMommyByGrace said:

We're in Camas

We're across the river in Gresham... :classic_smile:

It seems we just missed the 4th on our last Alaska cruise but I asked when we were in Juneau (I think the 5th) and they had fireworks (in town). As I recall there was a bar-b-q on deck that night but I don't believe they're doing those these days.

Dare I tell my 4th of July story again?  It was 2002 and I was on a third party trip with a Canadian company.  We flew to Inivuk, far above the Arctic Circle in the Northwest Territories and had a coach ride down the Dempster Highway all the way to Whitehorse and Skagway.  I was the only American on the bus with about 25 Canadians.  As our itinerary worked out we reached Whitehorse on July 1 and I joined them at Whitehore's Canada Parade and then we all boarded the Zaandam on July 2.  July 3 was Glacier Bay and then July 4 in Ketchikan.  I came prepared with bookmarks from Ft. McHenry as a little memento of our July 4th together (as well as one for our bus driver) and after our tour there was a great parade in downtown Ketchikan. I don't remember exactly what was done on the ship but you will certainly have a 4th of July experience.

Roy

• Like 1