Amount of local cash needed for South Pacific Ports

Hi,

We are going to Noumea, MAre, Isle of Pines, Lifou and Mystery Island.

I was going to get some South Pacific Francs to pay for incidentals like Coconut drinks, light lunch etc. I know we could use Aussie "notes not coins", but this would mean at least $5 each purchase for something maybe costing a lot less??

I am thinking we can pay local tour operators in Noumea with credit card if we need to? Also would the water taxi to Duck Island accept cards?

Thanks (:

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

You are likely to get some change from your small notes back in local currency, so I wouldn't stress too much.

So should I get cash converted or is that not advisable?

Looking through these forums I saw someone comment in Noumea they can be a bit picky about their currency only.

Do you use your credit/debit card for larger purchases eg tours?

All of them are fine with AUD and anywhere that isn’t e.g. Noumea readily accepts card payments so no issues there either. 

Also for Duck Island you can pre book it at the main cruise terminal where you get dropped off with a tour operator and it includes the bus and your prepaid water taxi voucher as well using AUD. 

7 minutes ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

Don't forget the reverse scenario when leaving some islands they are keen to exchange any AU coins (yes they get them in donation buckets etc) for AU notes.

Lets face it when you get back to Aussie, a dollar is a dollar!!

I have often exchanged coins for notes, particularly in Vila. Visitors should be aware that in someone comes up to them with a shy smile and holding out a handful of coins, that is what they are wanting to do. They cannot bank coins. The Australian lady Chrissie who used to collect funds for the hospital in Vila always had a lot of coins she needed changed to notes.