Wardrobe for Southern Mediterranean in Winter

molymoo

I’m hoping for some wardrobe advice from ladies who may have done the Southern Mediterranean cruise during the winter ( I think this includes you, Peregrina … my travel guru!).  We will be heading out on Christmas Eve and after three days in Madrid and two in Rome we will board the Sky for our cruise on the 30th of December.  I have been watching the weather and it appears that things are a little warmer than I originally thought they might be.   I know that it is still more than a month away but it is 17 degrees here in Chicago today and 69 degrees in Trapani.  It is hard to wrap my head around 69 degrees and sunny as I shiver here!  We did the "Iconic Cities" cruise last winter and it was pretty nippy in some of the cities .   I was glad to have had some warmer gear but maybe not this time.

I have dinner-wear figured out … keeping in mind the dress code. But want to be sure I have what I need for daytime excursions without having to pack the entire closet.  Generally planning on jeans and long sleeved t-shirts for daytime (perhaps one short sleeved just in case) and of course will have a sweater and light waterproof jacket should it rain.  I am guessing I should pretty much leave the winter gear at home(?). 

2 hours ago, molymoo said:

I’m hoping for some wardrobe advice from ladies who may have done the Southern Mediterranean cruise during the winter ( I think this includes you, Peregrina … my travel guru!).  We will be heading out on Christmas Eve and after three days in Madrid and two in Rome we will board the Sky for our cruise on the 30th of December.  I have been watching the weather and it appears that things are a little warmer than I originally thought they might be.   I know that it is still more than a month away but it is 17 degrees here in Chicago today and 69 degrees in Trapani.  It is hard to wrap my head around 69 degrees and sunny as I shiver here!  We did the "Iconic Cities" cruise last winter and it was pretty nippy in some of the cities .   I was glad to have had some warmer gear but maybe not this time.

I have dinner-wear figured out … keeping in mind the dress code. But want to be sure I have what I need for daytime excursions without having to pack the entire closet.  Generally planning on jeans and long sleeved t-shirts for daytime (perhaps one short sleeved just in case) and of course will have a sweater and light waterproof jacket should it rain.  I am guessing I should pretty much leave the winter gear at home(?). 

Oh, dear, 17 in the Windy City; are you telling me that a cold snap is heading my way?

We continued on to do Southern Med after you and DD disembarked in Rome last January. In short, I would plan for the same hodgepodge of weather that you found on Iconic Cities. The weather was variable. We did not make it to Algeria so I can't say anything about that and I was sick in bed for the last three stops. It can be warm in the direct sun but turn cold the minute you walk into the shade. Even in the Med, you can have a cold snap with below normal temps.

There is no way of predicting what the temps will be and certainly temps drop at night. Traveling from Boston, we had our winter outerwear and I had my Uggs (which I wore many times for touring--if my feet are warm, I feel warmer) and that was enough for dealing with any colder temps (which you may very well find in Madrid and Rome). Hats, gloves and scarves won't go amiss.

In Trapani, we did the hilltop town of Erice and it was at least 20 degrees colder than sea level with a cold breeze. We did not dress warmly enough to properly enjoy the day. I was in a light-ish sweater and I was freezing (plus, what I didn't realize at the time, I was running a fever). Locals were in winter gear with hats and gloves.

Madrid: allow plenty of time for the Prado (took the art history major and me a full day); check out the hidden gem Sorrolla Museum (my all time favorite small museum--and open past 5 pm); look into the 3 museum pass for the Prado+Thyssen+Reina Sofia.

• 1 month later...

We were there last Christmas time on Viking and made very good use of hats, gloves, scarves and layers!  I had a heavy sweater coat and a fleece pullover and wished I had brought an actual coat (a trench raincoat with a lining would be a good choice. And I wore my Ugg boots constantly.  We had lots of sunshine, a bit of rain and just peeled off or put on layers accordingly.  Enjoy!

I'm on that cruise. I like to check webcams before leaving for a cruise.  Helps me get oriented, and check out the weather. Here are some links to cams, some better than others:

www.webcamtaxi.com/en/italy/lazio/rome-city-centre.html  (Rome)

www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam.html  - look under Lazio for Rome

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam.html (Naples)

www.webcamturismo.com/webcam/index.asp?pag=webcamsng&webcam=5 (Trapani, where ship will dock)

skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/sardegna/cagliari/porto-di-cagliari.html (Cagliari)

www.webcamtaxi.com/en/spain/valencia/plaza-ayuntamiento.html (Valencia)

www.webcamtaxi.com/en/spain/barcelona/sagrada-familia.html  (Barc)

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/espana/comunidad-de-madrid/madrid/puerta-del-sol.html  (Mad)

Last night I was on a site that gives airline performance. It has weather conditions at each airport.  I was a bit surprised when I checked Rome, Madrid and Frankfurt - not exactly what I expected, given that it was 3 in the morning in those places.  But as others have said, you really never can tell, and layers are helpful.

See you on the ship!

Ruth

Edited by roothy123

Roothy, thanks for the links.

I am planning on a temperature range of anywhere from 70° to hovering around freezing (or even colder if I decide I want to go out on deck after dinner to see if there are any NYE fireworks).