flight at 10:45 to Fort Lauderdale airport from dock

wolfatlga

Personally I would take the 11:55 AM flight, but I am very conservative when making travel plans. However, you shouldn’t have a problem making a 10:45 AM flight doing self-assist debarkation, as long as there are no delays with debarkation that morning. The airport is right next to the port. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

A couple of things. First, the airport isn't exactly next to the port. It may seem like it, but it's actually about a 15 to 20 minute ride. Second, keep in mind that you'll need to be at the airport at least 90 minutes ahead of your departure time. The lines at the TSA security check-in point at the airport can get pretty long when cruise ships arrive back in port. If, and this is a big"If", you can be off of the ship and in a taxi and on your way to the airport by 8:30, you should make it with a little time to spare. Personally, I would take the later flight and make it a stress-free Debarkation morning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfatlga said:

Greetings,

We are on the Conquest in April.

There is a flight at 10:45 and one at 11:55.

Do you think we can make the 10:45 if we no self disembark?

Thanks,

Roy

There two issues. You still need transportation to the airport and with traffic, waits for transport, etc,. it has taken us 20-30 minutes to get to the airport. You will need to be at the airport to check in and do security at least an hour to 90 minutes prior. I have been in lines at FLL for over an hour. And delays can be caused by ship being late, customs clearance, actual debarkation chaos, and other items. I would go with the later flight just to not be so rushed. :classic_smile: Yep, some people have made flights even earlier and I am sure they will jump in here but I never book anything that early because..you know...it won't work for me.

I always back up my timeline:

flight: 1045

need to be at airport for 1045 flight 90 minutes before: 915

travel to airport takes 30 minutes IF ALL GOES WELL AS MAYBE 500-1000 PAX from just that one ship try to get to the airport to fly out of FLL: 845

ship docks: let's say 800

So you have 45 minutes for the ship to dock, leave the ship, clear customs, get a cab, go through security, etc. Everything has to go smoothly, bam, bam, bam.  One thing goes wrong and you could be out of luck, rushing, stressed.  Have you ever self-embarked?  I've seen folks in wheelchairs pulling their bags self embark!  Pax with 3 pieces of luggage each try to manage it and all it does is hold up pax like me who travel with 1 carryon. Go with the 1155 flight and end your trip as happy as you started out. And depending on your airline ticket, if in fact you arrive in time for the 1045, you could always ask if you can switch flights.  My philosophy is that it never hurts to ask! 

Yes, you can easily make a 10:45AM flight doing self-disembark providing there is no major delays (there rarely is).

I'm guessing "no self-disembark" was a typo and you meant "do self-disembark"...

Just go down early and do self, you'll probably end up with a couple hours to burn at the airport.  All of the horror stories, TSA lines, etc... is for people who do NOT self-disembark.  I mean, the entire point of getting off the ship early is that you avoid all the crowds of people during general. Which also means you'll be at the airport early and avoiding any sort of potential crowds there as well.

Pretty much every single person who asks this question, and it gets asked a lot, who ends up doing it.... will come back and tell us how they were at the airport with tons of time to spare.

As an example, I self-disembark and live 20+ minutes from the port... well past the airport which is about 10 minutes from the port.  We are almost always home before 7:30AM doing self-disembark.  Which means you would realistically be sitting at the gate waiting for your plane around 8AM and bored for a couple of hours.

HOWEVER.  Since there is a 11:55 flight.  It's only 1 hour later.  And delays, while rare, can happen... all else equal, I'd take the 11:55 flight.  If the later flight is not direct, more expensive, or whatever, then I'd take the 10:45 flight in a heartbeat and not worry about it one bit.

I have a friend who takes early flights and cruises often, she is always sitting at the airport super early and has never once missed a flight. You'll be fine.

Wev'e done that several times. We self-debark right after diamonds, head to the cab line and then a short ride to the airport. We're TSA Pre-Check and after checking luggage curbside head through security. Our most recent trip we were at the gate at 9:10am.

1045 vs 1155.  You know yourselves--would you be better off getting the 1155 and knowing you have lots of time or possibly stressing out that something would occur, you'd be late, etc.  

Another alternative--1155 flight: get up, early self disembark, get yourself to the airport, have a nice breakfast at the airport while you are waiting as with an 1155 or even a 1045 flight, you're going to miss lunch but with a big late breakfast you'll be all set.

I made a 10:10am flight out of FLL and my ship sailed from Miami,  I am Diamond and had #1 tags, did not do self assist. I also have Global Entry and TSA Pre check. I used Uber for my ride to the Airport, the lines were short at FLL. FLL has new TSA security area now that just opened I think it has more scanners now. Now, if I did not get free stand by on Southwest I never would have tried it, but I was at the airport by 8:50am and through security by 9:10am and the ship was the Horizon.

It's completely doable and definitely should not be a 20-30 minute drive from Port Everglades to airport unless your driver is taking the long route and ripping you off.  It's 4.2 miles from port to airport.  I book early flights all the time but I know the risk and for me it's a risk worth taking.  In September I booked a 9:30 flight out of FLL and my ship was in Miami.  I was off the ship by 7:20 and sitting at my gate in FLL by 8:15.  It's a risk and only you can gauge if it's worth it!  Good luck!