Garden Villa and Panama Canal - NCL Star

kskelley40

We are looking to bid on the Garden Villa suite for our January 14 day full transit Panama Canal cruise. 

Right now we have an AFT penthouse suite and  we have done a partial transit in the Forward Penthouse suite before. 

Just wondering how the view of the Canal during transit will be in the Garden Villa?  I realize it is only 1 day out of 14 but we loved the transit, although it was only a partial transit, the last time we were there.  Just want to make sure the view will be worth the extra cost. 

Also have a bid in for the Deluxe Owner's suite with 2 balconies.  I know that one would be great for the transit but I don't see any of those opening up.  The Garden Villa is still available 53 days out so an upgrade might be possible.  Only 2 of us, but the space would be awesome, just worried about the Canal view.

Has anyone personally sailed the Canal in the Garden Villa and can give some input?

Has anyone personally sailed the Canal in the Garden Villa and can give some input?

No I haven't - but I have sailed in the GV on the DAWN (sister ship) and you should be

aware that you will only have views on your side of the ship and a peek to the other side.

The OS with 2 balconies would be a better viewing choice forward and one side.

I would definitely bid for an upgrade to the GV - but you might also consider bidding for

the OS 2 balcony with the hope that the occupants of that move to the GV.

If you bid and are successful that GV with two is going to stress you out - NO NOT REALLY

All that room - 3 bedrooms and some 5000+ square feet of space - noting that go up one

deck (15) and the view will be all yours albeit on your side of the ship.

Reviewing the itinerary - Los Angeles to Miami - only stateroom 14000 (starboard) is available

thus your views would be to the South America side of the canal from your stateroom.

It is a toss up as to which side is better and if you would be in the old canal or the newer one.

If in the newer one your view would be of the old canal.

Here is another hint - make friends with your neighbors in 14500 and have the crew open

the connecting deck doors on deck 15 to share the whole top of the ship for viewing.

This while transiting the canal.

If you are part of the Roll Call for your sailing and participate in the Meet & Greet you might

consider having a deck party for CC members.

While I have not sailed the GV thru the canal I did sail from Miami to Los Angeles on the STAR

deck 12 balcony penthouse. 

Beware that the weather may not be cooperative for viewing - hot - humid - rainy - whatever

mother nature throws to the wind - but make the best of it.

One must do cruise off my bucket list !

Can't speak for the Star but on Jewel the GV has full front and side views.

We had an aft penthouse suite on our Panama Canal cruise on Jewel. The day of the full transit hubby was running all over the ship looking for the best view and finally decided it was on our balcony. I kept the TV on for the commentary on what we were seeing. It was awesome. 

Edited by Aprille

Decided to keep my bid in for the GV until the 30 day mark, so 20 days to go.  It is still available on the NCL website so might have a chance.

Also have a bid in for the Owners Suite with 2 Balconies and will probably keep that one going until the 15 day mark.

I realize I could win one of these up until 3 days before sailing, but it is just a mind game with me.  Figured if NCL can't upgrade us by the 15 day mark, then I don't want to give them more money.  

On 11/13/2018 at 8:37 AM, kskelley40 said:

We are looking to bid on the Garden Villa suite for our January 14 day full transit Panama Canal cruise. 

Right now we have an AFT penthouse suite and  we have done a partial transit in the Forward Penthouse suite before. 

Just wondering how the view of the Canal during transit will be in the Garden Villa?  I realize it is only 1 day out of 14 but we loved the transit, although it was only a partial transit, the last time we were there.  Just want to make sure the view will be worth the extra cost. 

Also have a bid in for the Deluxe Owner's suite with 2 balconies.  I know that one would be great for the transit but I don't see any of those opening up.  The Garden Villa is still available 53 days out so an upgrade might be possible.  Only 2 of us, but the space would be awesome, just worried about the Canal view.

We have done this cruise twice on the Star aft cabin. It's great location because you see the handling of the ship behind you fairly close to you.