MAN to ELP premium economy

Alaskanb

Hello: In November 2019 we will be returning to the US, post cruise and visiting family, from Manchester UK; For the first time we will use Princess EZair. The Virgin Atlantic / Delta option currently provides a one stop route with a 4+hr layover in Atlanta. I am unfamiliar with either airline and would like comments on their premium economy product. Thanks. 

Delta's strength is its predictability- the have fewer problems like  seriously delayed flights, cancelled flights delayed baggage, etc. than their peers and they empower their front line customer service employees to fix problems if they do happen. (And a pretty high percentage of those employees do a good job using the power given to benefit customers)  I've also had their CS reps move heaven and earth to find me a minimally disruptive option for a somewhat complex international routing that went IRROPS when I was on a cheap fare bucket ticket. And also good luck rebooking simpler tickets on their phone app because I like to play with danger and book 39 minute domestic connections through ATL because it's cheap. (the minimum sensible connection time for domestic routings in Atlanta is realistically somewhere north of an hour) 

Not always the most proactive cabin crews when all is well, but again, they shine when something goes wrong- the purser was very kind and helpful when I had a sinus infection go acute on the way back from Paris a few years ago. 

ATL is too large of an airport but it's got a nice logical layout and has a common airside area that's is easy to get around there once you clear immigration.  The most common delays there are during summer thunderstorm season and the three times a year when it snows there (Atlanta has  somewhat similar winter weather to London and handles the white stuff about as 'well' as LHR does) A four hour connection time under normal circumstances is long enough to consider a day pass to a lounge or a couple hours at minute suites. 

Edited by sumiandkage

5 hours ago, sumiandkage said:

Delta's strength is its predictability- the have fewer problems like  seriously delayed flights, cancelled flights delayed baggage, etc. than their peers and they empower their front line customer service employees to fix problems if they do happen. (And a pretty high percentage of those employees do a good job using the power given to benefit customers)  I've also had their CS reps move heaven and earth to find me a minimally disruptive option for a somewhat complex international routing that went IRROPS when I was on a cheap fare bucket ticket. And also good luck rebooking simpler tickets on their phone app because I like to play with danger and book 39 minute domestic connections through ATL because it's cheap. (the minimum sensible connection time for domestic routings in Atlanta is realistically somewhere north of an hour) 

Not always the most proactive cabin crews when all is well, but again, they shine when something goes wrong- the purser was very kind and helpful when I had a sinus infection go acute on the way back from Paris a few years ago. 

ATL is too large of an airport but it's got a nice logical layout and has a common airside area that's is easy to get around there once you clear immigration.  The most common delays there are during summer thunderstorm season and the three times a year when it snows there (Atlanta has  somewhat similar winter weather to London and handles the white stuff about as 'well' as LHR does) A four hour connection time under normal circumstances is long enough to consider a day pass to a lounge or a couple hours at minute suites. 

Thank you so much. The flight will be on a Virgin Atlantic plane. I am happy with the long layover as we can clear immigration and customs then get dinner before the next flight.  

With 4 hours in Atlanta and an expressed interest in dinner go to One Flew Over for the best pork belly ever. I could not appreciate the hype until a layover there this past July. As someone who books restaurants before hotels when I travel I will just say it exceeded my expectations.

13 minutes ago, Chairsin said:

With 4 hours in Atlanta and an expressed interest in dinner go to One Flew Over for the best pork belly ever. I could not appreciate the hype until a layover there this past July. As someone who books restaurants before hotels when I travel I will just say it exceeded my expectations.

Sounds amazing --great way to end a vacation.

8 hours ago, Chairsin said:

I'll second this. A couple of years ago, I finally got a chance to route a trip through ATL, so got a chance to try out the restaurant. Very good indeed.

20 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

Hello: In November 2019 we will be returning to the US, post cruise and visiting family, from Manchester UK; For the first time we will use Princess EZair. The Virgin Atlantic / Delta option currently provides a one stop route with a 4+hr layover in Atlanta. I am unfamiliar with either airline and would like comments on their premium economy product. Thanks. 

12 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

Thank you so much. The flight will be on a Virgin Atlantic plane.

I'm a Delta frequent flyer, and as mentioned, while ATL is huge it is laid out very efficiently with good signage.  All concourses are connected airside, and the plane train runs quickly and frequently between them.

One note:  Presumably for the ATL-ELP leg you will be on Delta, not Virgin Atlantic.  Delta does not offer premium economy on that route, only Comfort + which is NOT the same.  It is just regular economy with a little extra leg room.

10 hours ago, Chairsin said:

The restaurant is actually called One Flew South (not One Flew Over), but yes, it's been a go-to for me for years.  It's in concourse E.  Another good option that I only recently tried for the first time is Ecco in Concourse F.

• Thanks 1

Waterbug, 

Thanks for correcting the name of the restaurant .  I’d hate to have been responsible for Alaskanb wandering around looking for the wrong place. 

And as an added note we waited 40 minutes for a table. I was told by the hostess that this was not unusual so my guess is that it will not usually work out without a long layover. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chairsin said:

Waterbug, 

Thanks for correcting the name of the restaurant .  I’d hate to have been responsible for Alaskanb wandering around looking for the wrong place. 

And as an added note we waited 40 minutes for a table. I was told by the hostess that this was not unusual so my guess is that it will not usually work out without a long layover. 

It can really vary.  I've gone to OFS and been told likewise....long wait.   Other times, such as a few weeks ago, our party of 4 was seated immediately.

We have flown Virgin PE a couple of times. Probably not as good as some of the Far East operators, but much better than the BA equivalent. Separate check in area, roomy seats, friendly service and pretty good food.  Thoroughly recommended. 

• Thanks 1