Advise for gifts for a world cruise

dcassetta

Hello all,

My folks will be going on the Viking Sun world cruise in January.  They have never done a cruise of this length before, although they have sailed on the Viking Sun previously in the Med.   I would like to get together a little gift basket of items that might be helpful on such a long cruise.  Is there anything people who have done a world cruise with Viking would recommend? 

TIA

Suggest checking the World Cruise Board, as they have a number of threads listing suggestions.

While our Viking WC isn't until 2020, we have completed a previous WC with another line. One of the biggest help for us is small magnets and/or 3-M Command Strips and hooks (various sizes). We will bring a World Map with the route, which is attached to the bulkhead with magnets. We keep track of progress on the map. We also bring printed schedules, listing ports/sea days, any tours booked, specialty restaurant bookings, etc. These are also attached to the bulkhead.

A good pair of binoculars always come in handy, while VO supplies a pair, I heard they might not be best quality. If they are avid photographers (I took > 10,000 photos) they may require extra cards and also an external storage device (I use a portable hard drives). Notebook for maintaining a written journal.

DW takes a supply of hand sanitisers (large bottle + smaller one she refills),  hand towel wipes, small packets of kleenex (cruise ship crud), small pill box for taking a few pills to breakfast, collapsible shopping bags,  individual lens cleaning wipes, few nylon shopping bags (light weight and used for laundry), insulated tea/coffee mugs, laundry pen for removing stains 

Heidi has given some great tips.  We were on last year's inaugural WC and if the same holds true we received a large magnetized map with a dot to move as we traveled.  Since your parents are returning Viking passengers they might get a returning gift offer which included 3 great nylon bags that fold into themselves which were great for shopping and taking "stuff" to the pool.  I misplace my room key routinely and a lanyard is helpful (guest services punched the hole for me).  There is NOT a bedside clock (which your parents will know) so if they do not want to use phone or a watch a small travel clock is great.  Viking has terrific LARGE umbrellas in each cabin however a small travel umbrella is useful to put in a day pack/purse &/or a rain ponchos. 

Viking really did a great job providing everything we needed!!!  We had the most fabulous time of our travel lives thanks to the Viking itinerary/excursions the beautiful ship, the awesome CREW of the Sun and our fellow travelers!

Edited by deec
misspell

3 hours ago, dcassetta said:

Hello all,

My folks will be going on the Viking Sun world cruise in January.  They have never done a cruise of this length before, although they have sailed on the Viking Sun previously in the Med.   I would like to get together a little gift basket of items that might be helpful on such a long cruise.  Is there anything people who have done a world cruise with Viking would recommend? 

TIA

3 hours ago, dcassetta said:

Hello all,

TIA

What a lovely idea!  We will be on the WC with your parents in January!  We haven’t done a WC before, but several other cruises, two with Viking.  I would reiterate what Andy says about hooks and magnets.  And we got an inexpensive ($125) pair of binoculars, because the ones Viking provides are worthless, imo.  Other ideas:  a travel clock (I had real problems with my iPhone, which I use as our alarm clock, not resetting quickly enough as we crossed time zones, and we will do that A LOT on the WC); a small hand held luggage scale; Viking recommended, and I bought, an evaporative cooling towel for extremely hot places where we will be doing walking tours; metal suction hooks for the bathroom for extra towels; and maybe some hangers—I have one for men’s pants with four stacked pull out bars, and one with six rows of hooks for shorts or skirts (which doubles as clips for drying things that can’t go in the dryer). These fold flat,  but still may be too big for your “basket.”  I also bought a digital room thermometer, because you can adjust the temp. but there is no thermostat to show you what you are getting.  You can get all of this on Amazon.

If if you feel comfortable sharing, I’d love to know your folks’ names so I can look them up onboard.  Hopefully they are on our CC Roll Call and Meet and Mingle.  

Christine

In addition to the great mentions above, what we came to miss most was junk food!!  Potato chips, pretzels, salted nuts, cookies, m&m peanuts, etc.  Viking has great food but the fancy bites at the bar get real old.  Many times we asked for pretzels, peanuts, chips and were told they are working on it.  If we saw a grocery ashore we made junk runs.  Usually saw lots of crew doing the same.😎

Thank you all for the tips.  My parents are not on Cruise Critic or social media, or I would encourage them to join the roll call. 

Can any of you tell me if laundry soap is provided on the ship?

Edited by dcassetta

20 minutes ago, dcassetta said:

Thank you all for the tips.  My parents are not on Cruise Critic or social media, or I would encourage them to join the roll call. 

Can any of you tell me if laundry soap is provided on the ship?

Yes.  On our WC I believe it was Persil.  DW did NOT like the scent.  Bought her own on a trip ashore.  Your mileage may vary.

I’ve never been on a WC...but just off the Star for 15 days in the Caribbean....

i purchase magnetic hooks at Walmart ...they were great for hanging my nightgown/housecoat during the day....for my “pool” cover up...    I also bought along a bathroom nightlight.   Viking does have a bathroom nightlight... but the running lights that go along with it on the outside of the bathroom were far to bright.   Snacks!  Pretzels are something we have found are not sold world wide!   Clothespins....they help with the small clothesline in the shower!      We asked our room steward the day we boarded for additional hangers...he bought us 15 lovely silver hangers!  I wouldn’t waste luggage space with hangers.   

Wishing your parents a great cruise!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 3:59 PM, SantaFe1 said:

Viking recommended, and I bought, an evaporative cooling towel for extremely hot places where we will be doing walking tours; metal suction hooks for the bathroom for extra towels; and maybe some hangers—I have one for men’s pants with four stacked pull out bars, and one with six rows of hooks for shorts or skirts (which doubles as clips for drying things that can’t go in the dryer). These fold flat,  but still may be too big for your “basket.”  I also bought a digital room thermometer, because you can adjust the temp. but there is no thermostat to show you what you are getting.  You can get all of this on Amazon.

If if you feel comfortable sharing, I’d love to know your folks’ names so I can look them up onboard.  Hopefully they are on our CC Roll Call and Meet and Mingle.  

Christine

Christine,

What brand did you buy? There are quite a few of them. Thank you!

12 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

i bought Alfamo Cooling Towel  on Amazon.  It’s a bit bigger than I thought, maybe 2 x5 in it’s package.  But I tend to get almost heat stroke, so thought it was wise for walking tours in Rio and the like.

Thank you!! 🙂 it’s an excellent idea and I’m so glad I stumble on your post 😉. This our first time to go that far in the South and during summer months so I try to find as many tips as possible.