Sash Bag

SadieN

Saw these years ago at the LA County Fair and lately I've seen them being advertised.

Thinking of getting one but would like to hear from the Hive Mind.

Thanks

(I have no connection to this company at all.)

They are a bit pricey (I'm an eBay shopper), $79 to $149, but it appears the principle is sound. 

I wear tunics and have a couple flat-lying belt-bags designed for runners, and dr'spin wears cargo pants. So we're good for now!

I also just bought some stitch-on zipped pockets off Amazon. To make my own travel garments from things I actually wear (instead of the high-priced vests and jackets in such limited sizes and colors). They are bright white is the only off-putting thing! I may dye them, after I figure out what toppers are going to get some.

On 11/13/2018 at 2:32 PM, SadieN said:

Saw these years ago at the LA County Fair and lately I've seen them being advertised.

Thinking of getting one but would like to hear from the Hive Mind.

Thanks

(I have no connection to this company at all.)

I don't get it.  It sure looks like it has as much bulk and pockets as a well organized (but much less of a profile)cross body bag.  It is still a 'purse' despite its talk about 'not needing a handbag'.

Personally, in a town with expert pickpockets, this has too many zippers easily exposed and not securable. I would be nervous.  I much prefer a more compact cross body purse with internal pockets. Sure, external pockets are okay for non important items, but this bag will take a little more getting used to; in my opinion. The leather version looks heavy and the design seems way too "here is my purse and my valuables" for me.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, mef_57 said:

I don't get it.  It sure looks like it has as much bulk and pockets as a well organized (but much less of a profile)cross body bag.  It is still a 'purse' despite its talk about 'not needing a handbag'.

Thought it was just me ;)

None of those who responded have actually used one. I have one and I really like it for travel. It has too many pockets for me for everyday  - I do like to used a wallet at home. It actually fits very close to the body ( it is designed for that purpose) and has a low profile. You wear it with the zippers next to the body, so it is no easier (probably less easy) to pickpocket than a regular crossbody bag, and the card slots inside are RFID protected. They are a bit pricy, but I got a gift certificate last year so it was more in the $50 range. I will probably bring it on the next cruise for pre-cruise travel, but will switch to a small wristlet on ship.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m a Sash lover and I also love to cruise. I’m taking one (actually 3 or 4)this February for the first time although I used a Sash bag in Las Vegas in October and LOVED it. Normally I like it to rest at my hip but when I was in situations in Vegas where I was worried about pickpockets I brought it up a bit shorter. I’m a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I’ve gone with cheap bags and had things happen while I was away. Zipper broke, strap broke, hole in the bag itself, which forced me to hunt for a new purse while I was traveling. That’s why I started paying more for my bags years ago. ;)  I’m already very comfortable with my Sash so cruising with it won’t be an issue.  It allows me complete freedom to use my DSLR which I carry in my hand constantly :). 

88BB5AEA-2FAB-406F-B8E3-8212B287A30B.jpeg

I own a couple Sash bags. I am also a penny pincher. I could spend a lot more on bags that don't work as well. I am not associated with the company in any way. Took reversible black/grey to Japan. Was able to change with wardrobe. Worked very well. I have shoulder and back problems. Bag sits securely over shoulder and rests on my hip. Protects my joints. No shoulder pain. Strap is adjustable. Do not carry wallet, since multiple RFID slots are in both sides of bag. carry small coin purse for bills and coins. One side has open pockets for ex. phone. Other zipped pockets to protect money, passport. Plenty of room, but has made me not carry everything except kitchen sink. Watch video on the website and see everything that someone could fit into a bag. Cloth and leather bags, vegan and faux leather all lie close to the body under coat. They have sales. Customer service is excellent. I will take one bag on a cruise to Iceland and Ireland this spring. 

• Like 1

Thanks to this thread I found out about Sash bags, and just picked my parcel up from the post office. They didn’t have any fabric ones in store when I ordered on the website, so I got the black & brown leather one, and a light colored “pleather” one for Summer (and Caribbean)

On 1/21/2019 at 5:53 PM, azpika50 said:

I own a couple Sash bags. I am also a penny pincher. I could spend a lot more on bags that don't work as well. I am not associated with the company in any way. Took reversible black/grey to Japan. Was able to change with wardrobe. Worked very well. I have shoulder and back problems. Bag sits securely over shoulder and rests on my hip. Protects my joints. No shoulder pain. Strap is adjustable. Do not carry wallet, since multiple RFID slots are in both sides of bag. carry small coin purse for bills and coins. One side has open pockets for ex. phone. Other zipped pockets to protect money, passport. Plenty of room, but has made me not carry everything except kitchen sink. Watch video on the website and see everything that someone could fit into a bag. Cloth and leather bags, vegan and faux leather all lie close to the body under coat. They have sales. Customer service is excellent. I will take one bag on a cruise to Iceland and Ireland this spring. 

Thanks for the info.

My Ameribag is on its last leg so looking for a replacement.

That open outside pocket  bothers me.  

The outside pocket is just big enough to hold a cell phone. No one can stick their hand into it when the phone is there. On the other side of my bag I tuck my sunglasses. Not big ticket items to be stolen.  If I feel really conscious of them I flip the bag so the zippered pickets face outward and the open ones hug my body :) 

• 4 years later...

Have been looking at Sash bags for awhile and they look interesting.  Saw that Free People's Idle Hands bag looks similar but for leather costs half as much.  Any cruiser gals out there tried their version?  

I'm not involved with either company, just didn't know which one I should try.

I didn't know about sash bags until this thread.  They don't look particularly functional; looks kinda like an apron with only one side.  

Someone mentioned an Ameribag (also called a Healthy Back bag).  They are GREAT.  Very casual.  Very well designed.  A couple people mentioned pickpockets:  these bags are designed to be worn cross-body style, and you can "swing them forward" when you think you need to "hug your bag" or when you need to get out your wallet.  Multiple exterior and interior pockets.  They come in several sizes ... I have the small, and it's larger than you'd think a small would be.