Power Strips on NCL

gooch47

Can someone point me to where on the NCL website it says power strips aren't allowed?  My husband swears he read a list of prohibited items and it wasn't on there and I can't even find the prohibited items list.  Senior moment, I guess.

Here is the link to there page with prohibited items

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items?cid=PS_TSI_GENERIC_GEN_GOO-g_LEN_SRH_NA__aud-394908862990:dsa-19959388920&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImtKD9o_S3gIVCCSGCh179AChEAAYASAAEgL_UPD_BwE

I don't see power strips on the list unless i'm blind and that is entirely possible.  I believe they dont want any strips that would have surge protectors though, Again i don't see it listed.

If you've got an Ikea nearby, they sell a pack of 2 power strips with no surge protector and it's super cheap, although I can't remember how much.  I also carry an extension cord, which could double as a power strip.

I’ve read several posts where people took a power strip on board with them. 

Just make sure it does not have a surge protector. The surge protector is what isn’t allowed. 

All my charging is done through USB ports. So I bought a four USB charger on amazon. Plugs right into the wall and charges my phone, iPad, and watch. 

This one...

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-Foldable-PowerPort-Samsung/dp/B00VH8G1SY/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1542150614&sr=8-12&keywords=usb+charger

Edited by Ironworker808
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gooch47 said:

Can someone point me to where on the NCL website it says power strips aren't allowed?  My husband swears he read a list of prohibited items and it wasn't on there and I can't even find the prohibited items list.  Senior moment, I guess.

Power strips are allowed on NCL ships. 

12 minutes ago, Cruise Cynic said:

It's only Disney Cruise Line (at the moment) that prohibits power strips - for some reason.

Also, if you want to bring a fan on Disney for use in your cabin, the ship's engineer has to approve it.

The "Mouse" is special, apparently....

RCI does as well, as well as all extension cords.

1 hour ago, barric said:

Not only do I bring standard extension cords, I also bring a Euro to US converter plug. This gives me an extra outlet at the desk area.  It reduces the voltage from 230 to 110. 

That would be a power transformer if it changes voltage, a "converter plug" only changes the orientation and shape of the outlet pins to allow dual voltage equipment to use the 220v outlet.

Most of time, you don't need the voltage converter to step down from 220-240v to 110-120v. Just a simple 2 pin adapter plug will suffice, especially when it's for recharging one's iPhone/iPad, smartphone & tablets, etc. as virtually all of the OEM charger/adapter itself are auto-sensing dual-voltage.  

If you are on the mid-sized Gem/Jewel/Dawn class ships with fewer total # of available outlets, plug any 110 volts only devices (i.e. CPAP ??) into the 110v outlet and make use of the 220v outlet for charging other gadgets (i.e. Anker USB charger w. 4 ports ... connected here on the GEM earlier in the year, and with a short extension tap, still provide an usable outlet for another 110v device.) 

IMGOS0616_1012.jpg

NCL Gem 110 outlet 02A.jpg

Edited by mking8288

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:12 AM, chengkp75 said:

RCI does as well, as well as all extension cords.

I just read over Royal Caribbean's security policy.

It states "electrical extension cords" are prohibited items, but it says nothing about power bars/strips or surge protectors. Also nothing about voltage converters....

Edited by Cruise Cynic

6 hours ago, Cruise Cynic said:

I just read over Royal Caribbean's security policy.

It states "electrical extension cords" are prohibited items, but it says nothing about power bars/strips or surge protectors. Also nothing about voltage converters....

A power bar is nothing more than a fancy extension cord.  If you feel the need, go ahead and try to bring one. There are multiple posts on the RCI forum reporting that extension cords, power strips, and muti-chargers are being confiscated.  The whole reason for the prohibition on extension cords and power strips is surge protectors.  These are not needed on ships (none of the ship's vital electronics including the navigation equipment or engine room automation is protected by surge protectors), and are a serious fire hazard, even when a brand new one is used under supervision, as a fault anywhere else on the ship can cause your brand new surge protector to catch fire.  It all has to do with the differences between land wiring and shipboard wiring.

Voltage converters are fine.  Also, it is reported that "pure" USB chargers (another form of voltage converter) (ones that do not have 120v power outlets as well, just USB ports) are allowed on RCI, as these devices are not surge protected.  As noted, most devices that use USB for charging will work on 220v, and the multi-USB chargers will as well.  You just need a plug adapter to fit the 220v outlet.

3 hours ago, gooch47 said:

Just as a followup, we ended up taking a regular extension cord.  It wasn't confiscated and we left it out (visible) in the cabin a few times so our steward saw it and left it alone.

Plain extension cords are fine on NCL.  However, the simple fact that a cabin steward, who depends on passenger good will for a large portion of their salary, and who are trained to not offend the passengers, would not say anything about a prohibited item is not evidence that it is allowed, or okay.

On 11/14/2018 at 3:59 AM, Cruise Cynic said:

It's only Disney Cruise Line (at the moment) that prohibits power strips - for some reason.

Also, if you want to bring a fan on Disney for use in your cabin, the ship's engineer has to approve it.

The "Mouse" is special, apparently....

We had a small fan confiscated on Celebrity. 

• 5 months later...

Looks like power boards/strips are now banned!

https://www.ncl.com/au/en/about/additional-terms-conditions-au

Banned items

You must not pack in any luggage or bring onboard any item specified as dangerous or illegal (e.g. guns, explosives, drugs, animals, flammable items, etc.). Power boards, irons, candles, electrical transformers and drones cannot be brought onboard.