Viking - Budapest hotels

Jammy Bun

We'll be staying in Budapest for a couple of nights following our Viking Danube river cruise next September.  Yesterday we received an email from Viking saying that our hotel had been changed. We were originally allocated the Hilton Budapest, Castle district, but they've changed our reservations and we're now at the Hilton Budapest City.  This is next to the railway station on the Pest side of the city.

My question is - does anyone have experience of either of these hotels?  Also their proximity to restaurants, sites of interest, etc.

Grateful for any advice!

Janet

Edited by Jammy Bun
typo

We stayed in the Hilton Castle District.  Very nice hotel, with some very nice restaurants nearby.  It tends to be a little isolated being on the Buda side, but it was in a beautiful setting next to the Mathias Church and Fisherman's Bastion and overlooking the Parliament building.  We went to the National Art Gallery (sp), and there was certainly enough to see in the immediate area for the couple of days we were there.  Now having said that, and all things considered I probably would have preferred staying on the Pest side of the river.  Much more to see and do, and many more restaurant options.

I am not familiar with the hotel you are referring to, but my experience has always been good with Hiltons.  I'm sure Viking has made a nice selection.  Why don't you Google it and see where it is, and what people are saying about it.

Below is a picture of the front of the Buda Castle Hilton.

606.JPG

3 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

We'll be staying in Budapest for a couple of nights following our Viking Danube river cruise next September.  Yesterday we received an email from Viking saying that our hotel had been changed. We were originally allocated the Hilton Budapest, Castle district, but they've changed our reservations and we're now at the Hilton Budapest City.  This is next to the railway station on the Pest side of the city.

My question is - does anyone have experience of either of these hotels?  Also their proximity to restaurants, sites of interest, etc.

Grateful for any advice!

Janet

The Hilton on the Pest side is more convenient for sightseeing but the Hilton atop Castle Hill offers spectacular views overlooking Parliament & the city. Guess it is a trade off. Don't miss Matthias Church - practically right next to the Hilton (Buda side). It's very easy to get around Budapest.

FYI - in case you are changed again to the Buda Hilton: it is easy to get to the Pest side by taking bus #16. The bus stop is across from the Hilton & ends on the Pest side at Deák Ferenc tér. From Deák Ferenc tér you can easily walk or take tram #2 (follows the Danube on the Pest side) or the metro. 

https://moovitapp.com/index/en/public_transit-line-16-Budapest-602-6121-527684-2013985

BTW, your included tour with the cruise should include the Mathias Church and Fisherman's Bastion, so you'll get to see that area, but your hotel location should provide you with easy access to many things that we did not get a chance to see.  Budapest is one of my favorite European cities.  Very nice people, and very good food.  I hope you enjoy your time there.

• Thanks 1

We stayed at the Hilton Castle District in August 2015.  It is one of the nicest HIltons we ever stayed in and if you (or anyone reading this booked at the hotel) have access to the Executive Lounge we highly recommend it.  It had hot and cold dishes along with free wines and beers available throughout the day topped off with a spectacular view of the river and the Parliament building (as did rooms on that side of the hotel). 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

Grateful for any advice!

Janet

I have stayed at the Hilton Budapest City.  The hotel itself is fine.  Not in the most touristy area.  Just remember the trams are your friend.  Fairly easy to take a tram down to the inner city/chain bridge area.  Mass transit day passes are cheap and it is easy to get around the city. Fairly close (about 20 minute walk or 5 minute subway ride) to the Szechenyi thermal bath next to the zoo.  

• Thanks 1

Really helpful replies, thank you so much everyone!  I'll start making a 'must see' list and include the transport information that you've very kindly provided.  I'd forgotten that we'll have an included tour will give us a good overview, so we really need to do some more detailed research into the less obvious places.

Janet

we used the hop on hop off as basic transport while staying 2 days pre cruise and found it very easy and conv' ... much better than in many other cities we've tried.  Note there are several HoHo companies so check the respective maps b4 you buy.  We stayed in the Castle Hilton and a HoHo stop was a short walk away.  View from our room

enhance

enhance

• Thanks 1

Earlier this year we stayed in the Budapest Hilton City.  The hotel is part of a modern urban shopping center next to the railway station.  The hotel lobby opens directly into the shopping center.  Our room faced away from the street and was quiet.  I would describe the hotel as a modern, business hotel, that met the Hilton standards.   Public transportation is readily available.  It took us about an hour to walk down to the central market and rode the tram back.   We walked through the Hilton Castle.  It had great views, but seemed to be a long ways from any thing.  

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Just a follow up to my post, in case anyone else is thinking about the Budapest Hilton City hotel.  Our stay was excellent - probably the best part of our vacation, as the cruise down the Danube had been badly disrupted by low water levels.  

Viking had a desk in reception, which was manned 9am - 6pm with the most helpful staff.  We were given a 40 minute orientation tour when we arrived, in which Viking's Peter walked us through the attached mall to the nearest train station, explained public transport procedures (btw, if you're a EU citizen, public transport is FREE on production of photo ID!), showed us where to get trams, and where they went, advised on currency, restrooms, etc etc.  We were all given a list of useful information and recommended restaurants.  On both nights of our stay the Viking staff booked us tables at one of the recommended restaurants and we were absolutely delighted with both.  

Our room was large and quiet, with a big comfortable bed.  Breakfast was superb.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.  In fact, was glad we'd not stayed in Buda which, while by far the prettiest place, is nowhere near as convenient for everything else!