Best River Cruise Line for a Couple?

Bejeweledj9

Looking for recommendations for the best cruise line for a couple?  We are celebrating our 20th anniversary, and while we are social people, we'd love the opportunity to dine alone at least a few times for dinner (breakfast too).  My understanding is that most cruise lines have open seating and there are very few tables for two on any of them.  Can anyone speak to this?  It's not a deal breaker, but definitely something we are considering in our decision since we'll (finally 😉 ) be without kids on a trip and want to celebrate us!  

Definitely Crystal. We are on board the Crystal Mahler at the moment and there are many tables for 2 and it is open seating - you can eat when you like which isn’t the case with other river cruise lines we have sailed when all guests eat dinner at the same time. We chose Crystal because of their dining arrangements and have eaten at a table for 2 at every meal. There is also the option of dining at the Bistro where there are also tables for 2. We are loving everything about the cruise and would highly recommend them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bejeweledj9 said:

Looking for recommendations for the best cruise line for a couple?  We are celebrating our 20th anniversary, and while we are social people, we'd love the opportunity to dine alone at least a few times for dinner (breakfast too).  My understanding is that most cruise lines have open seating and there are very few tables for two on any of them.  Can anyone speak to this?  It's not a deal breaker, but definitely something we are considering in our decision since we'll (finally 😉 ) be without kids on a trip and want to celebrate us!  

Congrats on your anniversary! We have celebrated ours the past 4 years on a river cruise. We love Uniworld. There are a few tables for 2, and like Crystal, on Uniworld you can dine at anytime. Many nights, we would have the lounge to ourselves during the dinner rush, or would enjoy some quiet time sailing, alone on the sundeck. We would then head to the dining room around 8, grab a table and enjoy dinner. 

And the Savoir beds on Uniworld......sooooo comfortable! We do plan on sailing Crystal someday, but Uniworld holds a special place in our hearts.

Robin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, acwmom said:

There are a few tables for 2, and like Crystal, on Uniworld you can dine at anytime.

We've had the same experience on Uniworld and often prefer a quiet dinner to ourselves.

8 hours ago, acwmom said:

And the Savoir beds on Uniworld......sooooo comfortable!

Ahhhh, yes! Can't wait until I board soon! Heaven!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, luv2travel90266 said:

Leaving in 2 weeks for Vietnam/Cambodia on Uniworld which will be my 3rd cruise with them. Table for 2 no problem. I also believe it is less formal than Crystal so less luggage to haul.

Crystal river cruises are not formal at all. Have done 2 cruises on the Crystal Mozart and have 2 on the Crystal Bach booked for next year.

20 minutes ago, sbjornda said:

On Scenic, if you pay for the high-end cabins (Royal or Junior suites) you can get room service from your butler. It's nice to socialize, but it's nice to get away from the crowds and be pampered once in a while too. 

On Crystal everyone has a butler. Room service has a limited menu except during meals and  you can get your whole meal dining room meal via room service.

46 minutes ago, sbjornda said:

On Scenic, if you pay for the high-end cabins (Royal or Junior suites) you can get room service from your butler. It's nice to socialize, but it's nice to get away from the crowds and be pampered once in a while too. 

Likewise on Uniworld, room service is an option. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 7:20 PM, sbjornda said:

Scenic has butler service and in-suite dinning for all cabins.

I just returned from Crystal Mozart. Plenty of tables for 2 and 4 - most were this size. We often had to have them combine tables for 6 (which they will gladly do for larger groups). There was room service but I never ordered from it. Every cabin had a butler.

It was a great ship! Highly recommend.

Edited by Coral

4 hours ago, Balloon Man said:

Not according to their web site and my one cruise with them in 2015. Butler service for all cabins, yes, but full in-suite dining only for the high end cabins. Other cabins have a "beverage service". If you have other information I would be happy to know of it.

18 hours ago, Balloon Man said:

I am not sure that that is correct.  We haven't been yet, going next October, but when I booked they said that all cabins could have room service from a small room service menu, but only the higher end cabins can have a full breakfast, lunch or dinner served in their room.
We booked a Junior suite specifically for this reason, I think on days with an early start, breakfast in the cabin would be great and we might want one dinner by ourselves.

We've cruised with Scenic a number of times, usually on Diamond Deck, but never bothered with room service. However I was simply quoting their web site which says under the heading Crystal Dining "In-room dining served by a butler". If that's incorrect I apologise on behalf of Scenic.

It may well be that in the top suites there are more options. I'll have to wait until next April to check that out!

Edited by Balloon Man
Wrong month
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Balloon Man said:

We've cruised with Scenic a number of times, usually on Diamond Deck, but never bothered with room service. However I was simply quoting their web site which says under the heading Crystal Dining "In-room dining served by a butler". If that's incorrect I apologise on behalf of Scenic.

It may well be that in the top suites there are more options. I'll have to wait until next April to check that out!

Well please post a review Balloon Man.  This will be our first cruise, and I only know what to expect from reading on here and my parent's trips.
Some people have commented that their butler was fantastic, but others have said that they never saw him/her, which would be disappointing.

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎04 at 2:00 AM, djh1959 said:

Well please post a review Balloon Man.  This will be our first cruise, and I only know what to expect from reading on here and my parent's trips.
Some people have commented that their butler was fantastic, but others have said that they never saw him/her, which would be disappointing.

The impression I get is that the butlers are more solicitous and take more initiative with the higher end cabins. With the lower end cabins you need to make a point of reaching out to them if you want something (e.g., drinks, laundry pickup). 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are booked on our first river cruise for our 25th anniversary this October.  We chose Avalon due to many recommendations and love the idea of their scenic room suites.  We wont have anything to compare to and hear really good things so we think we will love it!

Definitely Crystal. You can have more details on my blog "Travel with Wismergirl".

We were on the Crystal Mozart last July before the drought and loved her so much that we will be going on the Rhine (Crystal Bach) this April. Crystal is not formal at all on the river cruise (only smart casual needed) and everyone gets the same service including having a butler. However, why do you need a butler? By just calling the front desk or your room attendant will get the same service even faster...unless you need packing and unpacking of luggage.

Also, the so-called "suites" are only between 200-300 sq.ft., with the high-end suites just around 350 sq. ft. I don't think I want 3 people (a couple and a butler) to have dinner in such a crowded space. Where is your dining table in your room? Crystal's suites are already much bigger than her competitors, even the smallest room size for a couple is close to 200 sq. ft., whereas most other cruise lines' average room size is 150-170 sq. ft. Check out room size and location carefully before making your booking, e.g., Do you want water with garbage splashing against your stateroom window when you are on the lower deck? Do you want to face the concrete pier when you dock if your suite is on lower deck midship?

Besides, Crystal's whole fleet is brand new, with Mozart's maiden voyage in 2016, plus 2 in 2017 & 2 in 2018. I just don't like the idea that I have to pay in full to Viking 1 year before I sail. With Crystal, I paid $200 deposit when I was on board Crystal Mozart and the final balance is due 60 days before sail date. The best thing is there is no upsell on Crystal, you don't need to spend 1 extra cent after full payment, unless you want extra services like spa, hair or premium wine. We also loved Crystal's self-service laundry on board with detergent & drying sheets provided.

1 hour ago, wismergirl said:

Definitely Crystal. You can have more details on my blog "Travel with Wismergirl".

Besides, Crystal's whole fleet is brand new, with Mozart's maiden voyage in 2016, plus 2 in 2017 & 2 in 2018.

Technically - the Mozart is a 1987 ship that Crystal remodeled. I am sure wismergil will agree with me that she looks all brand new inside. I am guessing they gutted the interior when they were working on her and "Crystalized her".

Edited by Coral

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Technically - the Mozart is a 1987 ship that Crystal remodeled. I am sure wismergil will agree with me that she looks all brand new inside. I am guessing they gutted the interior when they were working on her and "Crystalized her".

Yes, other than the outside of Crystal Mozart that doesn't look modern and appealing, the interior looks absolutely stunning, especially the top deck. I hope I won't get disappointed when going on Crystal Bach that is half the width. I'll miss "Blue" for sure. That's my favourite lunch venue on the Mozart.

11 minutes ago, wismergirl said:

Yes, other than the outside of Crystal Mozart that doesn't look modern and appealing, the interior looks absolutely stunning, especially the top deck. I hope I won't get disappointed when going on Crystal Bach that is half the width. I'll miss "Blue" for sure. That's my favourite lunch venue on the Mozart.

I doubt you would be disappointed on the other ships. There are several of us who have sailed on the Mozart on this board. I haven't seen as many recently about the other ships. Maybe I haven't looked as hard.

I am also looking at the other ships as I put a deposit down on an open booking.

I took too long to decide which river cruise I should go on next so there were only 5 S2 left when I booked last November. I'd prefer the upper deck but there was nothing left. Now the boat is all full, unless someone cancels before the Feb 1 due date. It's a pity as we are attending a wedding in England the last weekend in March, so we don't have a lot of other choices.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

They gutted her to the structural elements.  She is the closest thing to a brand new ship that you could do.  To the extent that a ship is like a person, 'she' probably doesn't even remember 1987 any more than my 7th grade students do!