Accommodation Honolulu/Waikiki

subaru94

We are now having to fly a day earlier before we get on the Radiance of the Seas next May, looking for recommendations for accommodation as first time to Hawaii for us, not really wanting to go over $300 Australian unless it is something special.

We’ve stayed in Waikiki many times. Are you only there for one night? In April we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki on Kuhio Ave...great location only one block to the beach and many restaurants nearby. There is also the Hilton Waikiki Beach still on Kuhio Ave. We also stayed at the Doubletree Alana which is close to the Hilton Hawaiian Village and about 10 min or so walk to the busier section of Waikiki. Check those out....

On 11/13/2018 at 5:48 PM, subaru94 said:

We are now having to fly a day earlier before we get on the Radiance of the Seas next May, looking for recommendations for accommodation as first time to Hawaii for us, not really wanting to go over $300 Australian unless it is something special.

We’ve stayed in Waikiki many times. In April, we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki on Kuhio Ave and really enjoyed the rooms and location. You’re only a block to the beach. Also the Hilton Waikiki Beach on Kuhio Ave is another great Hotel. These hotels are right in the heart of Waikiki and there are restaurants everywhere. We’ve also stayed at the Doubletree Alana which is located near the Hilton Hawaiian Village and a 10-15 min walk to the heart of Waikiki. Check out the prices....

I love Waikiki and think that having a hotel on the beach is important.  I know that many do not mind walking a block or two to the beach, but I like walking out of my hotel and having my toes in the sand.  For 300 Australian dollars I think you can get a room on the beach of Waikiki.  Join the SPG/Marriott program and they usually have discounted rates for members.  There is no cost to joining their loyalty program.  My favorites on Waikiki are the Outrigger Waikiki, Moana Surfrider, and Sheraton Waikiki.  All of these have rooms where you do not even know the rest of Waikiki exists but you have access to the beach, restaurants, music, and activities.  The Park Shore Waikiki is a nice hotel across the street from the beach with a pool deck that looks out to Diamond Head and Kapiolani Park, great ocean view and ocean front rooms.  The Waikiki Shore is another option.  I think they are less expensive than the hotels previously mentioned but great locations.  As a first time to Waikiki and for only one night I would want to really be able to enjoy the day/evening.  I think mornings and evenings on Waikiki are magical and the crowds are gone.  Have a great time.  Cherie  

• Like 1

The Marriott branded hotels in Waikiki are having strike actions. Hotels affected are: Sheraton Waikiki, The Royal Hawaiian, Westin Moana Surfrider, and Sheraton ‪Princess Kaiulani‬i.The hotels have brought in scab labor. Normal hotel operations are disrupted. The strikers are rather loud and disrupt things further. I would avoid those hotels until the strike is over. I say this as someone who stays in Marriott hotels almost exclusively. There is no end in sight for the strike. 

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2018/10/08/hotel-workers-strike-against-kyo-ya-owned-hotels/

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/11/14/breaking-news/striking-marriott-hotel-workers-hold-noisy-waikiki-protest-ahead-of-negotiations/

Yes, the Marriott Hotel and Spa and all the previous Starwood properties, now owned by Marriott, are in the middle of a strike.  By next May this will most probably be over.  So...If Op finds a great hotel location at a great price, why not make the reservation and cancel if you change your mind?  Most Hawaii properties require cancellation 14 days prior to arrival, so this gives the OP plenty of time.  So, Op my suggestion would be to choose a couple properties within your price range when a great rate appears, and cancel the one you do not want prior to a penalty.  Of course, the Park Shore and Outrigger properties are not part of this union dispute with Marriott.  I hope you enjoy Waikiki as much as I do.  Cherie  

Another thought is the New Otani Kaimana hotel at the Diamond Head end of Waikiki.  It has a good beach, good restaurant, The Hau Tree Lanai, and views back to Waikiki Beach.  I think it is a great spot for relaxing after a long flight and getting ready for a cruise.  You can walk or take a short taxi ride into the middle of Waikiki if you like.  Cherie

• Like 1