Cannes - port shuttle ?

mapleleaves

2 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

I'm on the Epic next Sept.  I understand that Cannes is a tender port, but is it one of those ports that requires you to take a shuttle out of the port area ?  or can we just walk into town ?  Thx.

The tenders will drop you at a small pier area adjacent to a parking lot at the old port area.  Once you walk out of the tender pier area you are in the edge of town right next to the nice Marina (with cafes and restaurants on the opposite side of the street).  Anyone who is mobile can easily walk to any part of the tourist section of town.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

Cannes is a small port - it cannot handle large ships so they use the lifeboats to take you to the shore.  The lifeboat is then called a tender.

In some ports they use local small boats as tenders  as well as or instead of the lifeboats.  It can be a problem for those with mobility issues and if affected should seek advice from the cruise line.

Edited by Aulanis

18 hours ago, dublindoll said:

sorry for jumping on here what do you mean by the tenders, first time cruiser,  cannes is one of our stops, so it not a long walk from port, thanks in advance

here is a YouTube video of tendering in Cannes.  Not the EPIC but it gives you an idea.

As previous poster said, tenders are lifeboats.  They can be a bouncy ride ..... I'll be taking my seasick meds !

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Frankmac said:

If your cruise starts in Cannes is embarkation by tender? Surely not?

I guess the other alternative would be to swim out to the ship :).   But seriously, there is no docking facility for cruise ships.

Hank

• Like 3