Southampton Cruise Terminal

paumarier

Is it possible to find out which terminal/dock/berth the Oceania Marina will be located at on April 19 2019 in Southampton, UK?  I'm looking to book a rental car and Auto Europe has a rental return office at Southampton Port Office, Dock Gate 8.  I'm trying to find out if that is close or walking distance to the Oceania berth or will I have to walk a long way to get to the ship. Other return offices are at the train terminal and the airport.

Thanks

It’s about a kilometer or so away from the Cruise Ship terminal. You’ll need a taxi to get there upon disembarkment. I believe they’ll reimburse your taxi fare , so get a receipt. They will typically either drop you off or pay a taxi to do if returning a car.

A word of warning. After sitting in the que the taxi drivers might not take a 1 kilometer fare!

We have picked up hire cars in Southampton a few times and had no problem getting a taxi to take us the short distance,  for which the hire company paid. 

.As you seem to be returning a car it  is worth asking in advance of your hire company if they will take you and drop you off when you bring the car back. Quite a few companies do offer this I know Europcar do. 

We have dropped off rental at Hertz at the docks, near the Holiday Inn and then picked up a rental from Europcar after our cruise we walked from the ship to the car rental with our luggage in tow, both were quite close will check out which dock as there are two main docks, both rental companies were near the holiday inn Southampton.  Hope this info helps.....

On 11/14/2018 at 5:13 PM, pinotlover said:

It’s about a kilometer or so away from the Cruise Ship terminal. You’ll need a taxi to get there upon disembarkment. I believe they’ll reimburse your taxi fare , so get a receipt. They will typically either drop you off or pay a taxi to do if returning a car.

A word of warning. After sitting in the que the taxi drivers might not take a 1 kilometer fare!

It won’t be a problem getting the taxi to take you a short distance. Licensed taxi drivers here are not allowed to turn down a journey because it is too short. And they will be doing almost all short journeys anyway, such as to the railway station.

3 minutes ago, marylizcat said:

It won’t be a problem getting the taxi to take you a short distance. Licensed taxi drivers here are not allowed to turn down a journey because it is too short. And they will be doing almost all short journeys anyway, such as to the railway station.

that is good to know

we will be doing  a short trip  to the hotel 

I believe that if the taxi driver came into the taxi que area they took whoever was in line. Most taxis weren’t doing that. They were parking elsewhere, would come in and solicit a fare, then they could drive up to the area for hired cars and pick the passengers up there. Since those drivers weren’t in the que they could pick, choose , and negotiate their fares. There was a line of passengers for taxis, but very few taxis in the que..

10 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I believe that if the taxi driver came into the taxi que area they took whoever was in line. Most taxis weren’t doing that. They were parking elsewhere, would come in and solicit a fare, then they could drive up to the area for hired cars and pick the passengers up there. Since those drivers weren’t in the que they could pick, choose , and negotiate their fares. There was a line of passengers for taxis, but very few taxis in the que..

That sounds odd. I have never seen that happen when I have been in the queue for taxis there. I can only think they were not licensed taxi drivers, but what we call mini-cabs, which operate to different rules. There may appear to be few or no taxis at the line, but they keep coming very frequently as they are doing such short runs, so nobody should have to wait more than a few minutes.