Princess Advanced Prices

Has anyone noticed the super high and ridiculous prices that Princess are advertising for 2020.

For example I love going to Japan and have been there each year since 2014 for several cruises a year. At the moment I am seeing new cruises just released with one example $13,263 for a sole occupancy balcony cabin for a 18 night cruise. On past years I have always got this for around $6,000 or less. Do Princess honestly believe people are crazy enough to purchase these.

If I really want to go then I will use the Future Cruise Deposit and if they do not honour the price change I often cancel and re book immediately after. Surely Princess are a wake up to this. It would make more business sense to me to offer reasonable prices up front.

What are other peoples thoughts on this and how do you get around advanced high prices. I always prefer to book direct with Princess and avoid travel agents regardless if they can do it cheaper or not.

My replies may be slow as I am studying hard for a Japanese language test I must take in 3 weeks time.

That seems excessively high for an 18 night cruise solo. Is it in a high season period in Japan or a particularly interesting itinerary?

Essentially if a cruise is well above my budget I don't book it, otherwise I use a FCC and have usually managed to get a price drop

Good luck with your test. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I've noticed Princess' prices regularly increasing.

Though that's not unique to Princess as a cruise line either...

There's a reason I've booked fewer cruises lately - they're just not "a sufficient value" - to use an American expression. Have you considered a land option instead? $736 a night covers a lot of nice accommodation, transport and dining options in Japan, outside Tokyo.

Edited by The_Big_M

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That seems excessively high for an 18 night cruise solo. Is it in a high season period in Japan or a particularly interesting itinerary?

Essentially if a cruise is well above my budget I don't book it, otherwise I use a FCC and have usually managed to get a price drop

Good luck with your test. 

How do you purchase the FCC and do you get a price drop because you have the FCC? Thanks.

30 minutes ago, phoenixx said:

How do you purchase the FCC and do you get a price drop because you have the FCC? Thanks.

When you are on a Princess cruise you are able to purchase a FCC. It doesn't give you a discount but it comes with OBC depending on the length of your cruise. And as stated above, the ability to cancel before final payment and get your FCC back.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

When you are on a Princess cruise you are able to purchase a FCC. It doesn't give you a discount but it comes with OBC depending on the length of your cruise. And as stated above, the ability to cancel before final payment and get your FCC back.

I have an idea the conditions changed and you no longer get the FCC back if you cancel the cruise in the period when you would lose your deposit or part of the cruise fare. If you cancel in the period marked as "full refund" maybe the FCC comes back to you. I am not sure on that.

Edited by Aus Traveller

1 hour ago, phoenixx said:

No, you don't get a price drop automatically but if you see the fare has dropped you can ring Princess and usually they will refare your booking. Actually I think you can do this regardless of whether you use an FCD ( Sorry, I typed it wrong in my earlier post). The advantage of an FCD, other than the OBC, is that each FCD only costs $100 per person (you can buy more than one per person) and that is all you need to put down as your deposit when booking a cruise. You do need one FCD per person on your booking though. I usually ensure I have at least one FCD "in stock" on my Princess account just in case. FCD's can also be used when booking through a TA.

27 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have an idea the conditions changed and you no longer get the FCC back if you cancel the cruise in the period when you would lose your deposit or part of the cruise fare. If you cancel in the period marked as "full refund" maybe the FCC comes back to you. I am not sure on that.

Yes, you lose the FCD if you cancel within the cancellation period - which is often six months prior to the date of the cruise. They did this because too many people were booking multiple cruises using FCDs then cancelling most of them just before final payment. If you cancel before that period I'm not sure whether the FCD goes back on your Princess account or is refunded to your credit card.

Brisbane41, have you considered looking at the luxury cruise lines? I believe some have a lower solo cruiser surcharge. Crystal does but unfortunately they don't have many cruises around Japan other than on their new mega-expensive expedition ship. It might be worth checking the other lines though as it may end up costing close to the Princess fare with more included.

the year 2020 is Tokyo Olympics year so prices are likely to be inflated.

I have used a Future Cruise Deposit to book a hold on a Cherry Blossom type cruise during the April School Holidays. Perfect with work schedule.

I prefer to stick with Princess in Japan as I know the product, am at the top of the loyalty scheme and know to many people who I keep meeting on the ships every year. It is becoming a habit.

Even on board at all the ports I can have an inexpensive cruise. My advantage is that I can speak Japanese and can get around with great ease and see much more in any port than a Princess shore excursion will do at a small fraction of the cost.

I have done land travel in Japan before on my own and the only downside is packing and lugging your luggage everywhere and the hotel check-in times being late afternoon.

The way I am thinking I can either refare the cruise when I see it drop or cancel and re book when the price is right down. The loss will be only $100 but if the saving is $8,000 then I consider the loss worth it. I anticipate that I will see the cruise drop by $8000 before full payment is due.

<<<<<<<The way I am thinking I can either refare the cruise when I see it drop or cancel and re book when the price is right down. The loss will be only $100 but if the saving is $8,000 then I consider the loss worth it. I anticipate that I will see the cruise drop by $8000 before full payment is due.>>>>>>>>

when you refare a cruise cruise do you still have the same cabin you booked originally 

Cheers Carole

On 11/14/2018 at 5:56 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Brisbane41, have you considered looking at the luxury cruise lines? I believe some have a lower solo cruiser surcharge. Crystal does but unfortunately they don't have many cruises around Japan other than on their new mega-expensive expedition ship. It might be worth checking the other lines though as it may end up costing close to the Princess fare with more included.

i just researched a 10 day Azamara Greek Island cruise which was $13,000 plus for a single.  Who actually pays over $1,000 per day for a cruise?

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Exactly, it really depends on the method.

I

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Exactly, it really depends on the method.

I generally only get the same cabin if they re-fare it as stated above. However I only accept what is known as paid upgrades. That is an upgrade offer where a suite is available and Princess comes to you and says at the last minute as suite is available and asks for more money on top of what you paid for the suite. Generally it is a modest amount like $400 per person or $800 for a single. I have done this before and ended up in full suites with all the perks.

Just to clarify with my work at the moment I mirror the NSW school holidays. I work with school children and have flexibility either side of the school holidays to take extra time if I need it. For me an overnight flight to Tokyo suits my holiday routine well and while ever I keep taking my school holidays time off I am only ever going to undertake overnight flights. So for me Japan is the best option. Going to places like Europe, USA or further would cut into too much time of my holidays where as Japan and Asia is really an overnight flight.

Also recently I did a 3 night relocation cruise on the Golden Princess when it arrived in Sydney. Great ship but I had it booked with a Future Cruise Deposit. By balance due day the price was advertised as much lower and I could not re-fare so I let the cruise auto cancel and was able to re-book the exact same cabin for considerably less money all at the loss of a $100 deposit. I had a full suite booked on that ship and generally the party cruises I sometimes go with a group of friends and prefer the space so it is another way of beating the fares. It was a gamble but one worth taking to get the savings I thought as other cabins were still on sale.

On 11/16/2018 at 4:44 PM, MMDown Under said:

i just researched a 10 day Azamara Greek Island cruise which was $13,000 plus for a single.  Who actually pays over $1,000 per day for a cruise?

I

Who pays that much?

From my experience on SeaDream, it’s mostly reasonably wealthy and well travelled people who want 5 star service, all inclusive fares and no crowds. 

On 11/16/2018 at 3:44 PM, MMDown Under said:

I

Those poor impoverished plebs who can't afford one of these😮

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_(motor_yacht)

If you can't even afford $300 million, what can you afford?

Edited by SinbadThePorter