New York 2020 - 2 ships???

Stick93

I remember back when Splendor was new they tried year-round cruising from NYC. They gave up on it pretty quickly - it's just not Carnival's "sweet spot."  I know NCL does it, but I also remember some lovely photos of our neighbors' sons having a snowball fight on deck on one of their cruises at Christmas. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yes. two sister ships in NYC. While they are refurbished like new ships, they do not compare to the quality of newer ships in the NYC area for 2020 from other cruise lines.

I rather have something newer like the Vista or the Horizon in NYC doing cruises instead of two identical ships

When the Splendor did year-round cruising, the pricing was VERY VERY CHEAP!!! but the itinerary was crappy stopping at Port Canaveral (Florida) and Freeport and Nassau

We sailed the Miracle and splenor along with the Norwegian Gemand Anthems of the seas all out of New York in January. We left in a blizzard on the gem and it was our most memorable moment throwing snowballs on the same deck as we were sun bathing 3 days later. If they did Carnival journey cruises 9-12 days I believe many loyal carnival cruises would jump. Lots of areas around NY that  people could drive to port. The other cruise lines keep their  loyal  customers coming back all winter with their itineraries. We met people who for the prices were going B2B and B2B2B - pretty amazing. 

With that said I am a realist and know they are not coming back for the winter. 

I am am more surprised that they are bringing in 2 ships for the summer - and essentially the same ones.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:

Sailing out of NY year-round doesn’t really make much sense given the climate of the Northeast. Who would want to sailing out during a blizzard? That is, if the cruise didn’t get cancelled altogether. 

My feelings exactly, but to each their own. Even sailing outta Long Bch to Hawaii in Jan was disappointing. Weather was cool and headwinds all the way there + back. Got to sunbathe 1 day on a 15 day cruise. Nope, for me, Florida departures in Jan + preferably Miami. Even out of Canaveral first + last days can be iffy.

• Like 2

Carnival had two ships in New York from late April until October for many years. One would do the 4/5/7 day Canada cruises, and the other would do two alternating 8 day Caribbean cruises. They tried doing winter cruises with both the Miracle and the Splendor and they did not sell well, except for the longer cruises which Carnival didn't seem to want to do on a regular basis. :classic_cool:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Carnival had two ships in New York from late April until October for many years. One would do the 4/5/7 day Canada cruises, and the other would do two alternating 8 day Caribbean cruises. They tried doing winter cruises with both the Miracle and the Splendor and they did not sell well, except for the longer cruises which Carnival didn't seem to want to do on a regular basis. :classic_cool:

On 11/13/2018 at 8:20 PM, nybumpkin said:

I remember back when Splendor was new they tried year-round cruising from NYC. They gave up on it pretty quickly - it's just not Carnival's "sweet spot."  I know NCL does it, but I also remember some lovely photos of our neighbors' sons having a snowball fight on deck on one of their cruises at Christmas. 

Carnival used to sail to San Juan, St Thomas and Tortola during the summer and Port Canaveral, and the Bahamas in the winter. If they'd offer the reverse I think more people would choose to cruise in the winter. Why they picked such cold ports for the winter time is beyond me.

On 11/13/2018 at 8:52 PM, Stick93 said:

We sailed the Miracle and splenor along with the Norwegian Gemand Anthems of the seas all out of New York in January. We left in a blizzard on the gem and it was our most memorable moment throwing snowballs on the same deck as we were sun bathing 3 days later. If they did Carnival journey cruises 9-12 days I believe many loyal carnival cruises would jump. Lots of areas around NY that  people could drive to port. The other cruise lines keep their  loyal  customers coming back all winter with their itineraries. We met people who for the prices were going B2B and B2B2B - pretty amazing. 

With that said I am a realist and know they are not coming back for the winter. 

I am am more surprised that they are bringing in 2 ships for the summer - and essentially the same ones.

I guess it sounds like a unique experience that may be worth trying. Did it take 3 days to find heat? Did that mean you had to dress warm on the last few days?

I would much prefer NYC if it was warmer, personally.

On 11/13/2018 at 8:41 PM, shof515 said:

Yes. two sister ships in NYC. While they are refurbished like new ships, they do not compare to the quality of newer ships in the NYC area for 2020 from other cruise lines.

I rather have something newer like the Vista or the Horizon in NYC doing cruises instead of two identical ships

When the Splendor did year-round cruising, the pricing was VERY VERY CHEAP!!! but the itinerary was crappy stopping at Port Canaveral (Florida) and Freeport and Nassau

I would agree that it has much more to do with the itinerary of the ship (in regards to how popular it is) then the ship.  I have not seen the booking engine, but if they want success (in a bigger scale) it needs to be more then Port Canaveral and Freeport.....  

7 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I guess it sounds like a unique experience that may be worth trying. Did it take 3 days to find heat? Did that mean you had to dress warm on the last few days?

I would much prefer NYC if it was warmer, personally.

We love the sea days out of NYC - no matter the weather. Obviously warm weather is better but not having to fly and stay in a hotel on the way out and then flying home and waving weight restrictions are reasons to leave from a home port. The sea days from cold weather encourage you to relax and find activities. We use the gym, read, play trivia and of course drink! It’s a relaxed and chilled time before the hustle of the ports and warm weather. Also less chair hogs on the decks on cold days. 

The other cruise lines make it happen and carnival has opened the market for them to take from them. Carnival could entertain better ports and longer sailings to make the cruises more attractive. Florida and Bahamas are not a draw like the Caribbean is - even if its just PR and Grand Turks. 

I do love cruising carnival for many reasons and usually chose “fun ships” over other ships. But it’s funny that I have chosen other companies and ships once I am flying and as always if there is a ship leaving in the winter from NYC when I am available I will not fly for carnival. That is how I came to cruise on Norwegian and royal Caribbean. I even have a celebrity cruise booked now! 

I will continue to dream about a ship in NYC that would let me take a last minute cruise or two in the winter even though I know it will not happen.