Here’s an odd one...perogies for dinner in MDR ?

zdad59

My gang loves the MDR.    We like the service and the relationship building with the service staff.     Every year I ask for orange sherbet for dessert every night.   Even though it’s never on the menu, it comes every night, every year.    They find a way.     Now one of my gang has wondered out loud if she can get perogies one night for dinner.   Now I know I’ve never seen them on a cruise ship, but for giggles I thought I’d ask the august group.  

And secondly, to to make this fun, what is your “special order” item when you cruise??

Edited by zdad59

Ask, all they can do is say no.

Most likely, you will have to ask one night and come back a later night to have them.

They are not really that off the wall.

Now asking for kim chee or baluts would be different. 😄

2 hours ago, NorbertsNiece said:

Borscht. I'd love that!

Only ordered borscht once (not on a cruise) but the blood-red color was so off putting I couldn't bring myself to eat it!  I'm sure it is very good though as I know quite a few people who love it.  Perogies though I would love to see on a ship but I doubt it will happen!

• Like 1

Last year took a Med cruise with 12 in-laws and my wife.  I was the token caucasion and a cousin was Thai, the rest was Filipino.  The maitre' d was Filipino and as we later found one of the sous chef's (\was Filipino.  One of the uncles asked them if they would fix a Filipino dish each night and they did.  When the sous chef heard the request he came out and they all discussed which islands they were from etc.

The dishes were good.  Alas one of the dishes was not dinuguan.  ;}

I've never had luck in the MDR with special odd requests at all, but we stopped going to the MDR maybe 15 sailings ago.

Windjammer I've had TONS of luck with crazy specialty requests.  Not all of them worked out well but so far I'm batting .500 I think.  Gluten-free dairy free key lime pie?  They did it.  Chicken-crust "pizza"?  Was terrible but they tried.

Eggplant lasagna (noodle-free) was really good (think it was the Majesty) and they put it out as a full service item the next night but the first one was just a gigantic plate of it for me.

Never hurts to ask.  Pierogi are easy to make, so it's possible they could take the order a few nights early and do their best.  I'd also suggest asking in the Windjammer when it isn't 150% full.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:30 AM, SRF said:

Ask, all they can do is say no.

Most likely, you will have to ask one night and come back a later night to have them.

They are not really that off the wall.

Now asking for kim chee or baluts would be different. 😄

You'd probably have more success with either of these, considering the wide variety of ethnicities of the crew.

A halfway decent pasta chef could make perogies in a heartbeat. They already have all of the stuffing ingredients available as regular menu items, and the seasonings are all kitchen staples, and making the pasta from scratch takes all of 10 minutes.

Edited by orville99

3 hours ago, dada2199cc said:

Never hurts to ask.  Pierogi are easy to make, so it's possible they could take the order a few nights early and do their best.  I'd also suggest asking in the Windjammer when it isn't 150% full.

Easy, but time consuming.  

Our friend has decided she's going to ask on night #1 and see if anything comes of it during the week. 

My wife loves curry dishes.  Last cruise the dining room manager brought a fresh curry dish for her each night.   She thought they were quite tasty.   Manager said that on three nights it was an offering on the crew cafeteria.   The other three nights, he had a sous chef whip up  some.    This is the over and above we have always experienced with the MDR staff.   They have been amazing to us.     As I mentioned in the original post, I always ask for orange sherbet for dessert.   Never fails I get it.   Two cruises ago, we are having our last night specialty dinner at Giovanni's (on Adventure OTS).   As dessert time comes, our MDR waiter comes in with 8 dishes of orange sherbet.   One for everyone.    He said he couldn't miss a night.   Such great service.

93 days to go !!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spookwife said:

Easy, but time consuming.  

Not really - you can go from pantry to table in under an hour. No more time consuming than tortellini, which they already make fresh on the main menu. In fact, if they're already making tortellini, then all they need to do is reserve a bit of the dough and stuff it as a perogie.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1