Carnival's Freeport Kayak & Nature Experience excursion...

Sarahg0915

has anyone done this with young kids? The minimum age is 6, which my youngest son will be. The ride appears to be a calm one that goes with the current, and I assume the guides help if you get stuck, but I am wondering how much steering my little guy will have to do. 

My husband and I did this excursion earlier this year and loved it.  You are correct that it is a very calm ride.  The guide definitely helps if (when😉) you get stuck - the mangroves make it very easy to get stuck, but it's also easy to get out.

The kayaks are all doubles. It might be easier in some sections for the adult to do all the steering/paddling.  My husband is 6' and I'm 5'4, so our strides were off, probably causing some of our difficulty in the narrows.  It really doesn't take much to alter direction and I think we were over-correcting.

• 3 weeks later...

Our tour was through Carnival and was different.  Our Kayaking was on a small river/stream with lots of mangroves, followed by a short nature walk that ended at a pavilion with a picnic lunch then beach time at Gold Rock Beach.  The beach was stunning, and very minimal development.  I actually liked it a little more than Half Moon Cay.  This tour did not include snorkeling.

Your snorkel/kayak tour looks great and I would love to try it if we make it back to Freeport.  It looks like more open water kayaking which should be easier for your son.  The stream was very calm and shallow - our guide said if the boat tips over (which is hard to make those kayaks do) just stand up.  We used our vests as back rests since the water was less than 3 feet deep 😉 The stream was quite narrow though, and it was easy to get tangled in the mangroves which could be frustrating for some (husband and I just laughed at ourselves).