Pros & Cons for golden Princess

mcrcruiser

In 2020  Princess is using Golden Princess for a 14 night round trip La to LA ,Alaska  cruise .This cruise interests us 

For those that have recently sailed on the Golden Princess what are your thoughts for the pros & cons . We appreciate all information as we would book a balcony cabin .

Also what are the best balcony cabin locations for a Alaska cruise  on this ship

Thanks in advance for your help 

Hello...  we just booked this cruise this morning.   We have previously cruised to Alaska twice, 2007 and 2011.

We have been on the Golden four times to Hawaii in 2010, 2011, and 2012.    It's been a few years, but we must have liked the Grand enough to take four round trips from LA to Hawaii. 

I do remember it being a roomy ship.  And one nice thing is it has an ENCLOSED pool with two jacuzzis.  It's an older ship, built in 2001 and refurbished in 2018.  SO, the refurbishments will be 2 years old by the time we take this cruise.

We usually book a balcony on the Caribe (deck 10).  Mid ship or Mid Aft.  This time we are splurging and got a mini suite on the Dolphin Deck 9.   On both of our previous Alaska cruises, we had balconies.

We live in Orange County, and most of our cruises are out of the local ports... San Pedro, San Diego, and San Francisco.

This cruise has a GREAT itinerary and it should be great!    If you have any questions, let me know

Edited by mikjr

Hi neighbors!

I am looking at this cruise too. I was told it would be come book-able by non-Elite on the 15th, and the website shows no prices today. Are you (both) Elite? or can we call and get a jump on the 15th?

I am not fixed on a category room but have some choices laid out (in a Word Doc) for my mom to make a decision -- an oceanview by herself, or third person in a mini-suite with us. So really I'm not ready to call anyway, I was just excited to see someone talking about the Golden!

10 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Hi neighbors!

I am looking at this cruise too. I was told it would be come book-able by non-Elite on the 15th, and the website shows no prices today. Are you (both) Elite? or can we call and get a jump on the 15th?

YES, we are Elite and were able to book TODAY - November 13, so we got a great cabin, Mid Ship.  

From what I understand, Elite booking was only one day, Nov 13, and booking will be open to everyone tomorrow.   

9 hours ago, Brooklyn Bridget said:

Princess headquarter is in San Francisco right?   Maybe you are in luck!  Another 33 minutes!

Princess is in Santa Clarita,  which is the San Fernando valley area, just north of Los Angeles.  

It appears bookings are now open for everyone on this cruise

Edited by mikjr

Just off a 28 night transpacific cruise on Golden. There were a few times/areas where water was leaking from ceilings, but the ship was very clean and well maintained... especially considering its age. Food was better than expected and service was great for the entire four weeks. I would prefer a newer ship... but I would have no problem booking Golden again. The ship HAS been slated for transfer to P&O.

Edited by teecee60

Booked also! I made the executive decision that the five of us would be better off in two mini-suites than three oceanviews... My mom will bunk with us (we did 2wks Cape Horn in a HAL balcony which is about the same layout as a MS). The price for the third person was 40% less than the launch fares Coral linked a couple weeks ago, but the rooms were a bit more than what I saw there bc I chose midship (just aft midship). 

Wound up calling to make the booking and (1) found out I've been assigned to a PVP I didn't know about (the one in my previous booking's email was on leave of absence WHEN she was given to me and still is!), but that person wasn't available either so a member of the support team handled today's booking, and very nicely. (2) I was expecting the deposit to be about $2000 but for reasons I don't know, it was only $400!($200 per room) Refundable at that! Which sort of makes up for the midship premium. 

Well that was today's news. Now to go check if someone has started a Roll Call! 

I grabbed a cabin this morning just as soon as I got up (CST). Was able to get the exact one I was aiming for. 

Like everyone else, I loved the small deposit.  I assumed it was nonrefundable but now after learning that is a refundable deposit, all the better! 

The Golden is the only Grand class with Suites on Sun Deck 15 - they are very nice in a quiet, nicely appointed area.  8 Premium and 2 Owners. Other than Dolphin Aft Vista Suites, these would be my choice on Golden.

There are also 2 OV cabins with floor to ceiling windows - S702/704 - steps to the rear Sun deck area. 

We looked at the pricing for this 14 night LA R/T Alaska cruise .IMO way too high ;as we have already done Alaska 5 times including the interior on our own .  Looked at the Dec 29.2020 Hawaii cruise on Emerald Princess & booked this 15 night cruise with the 3 for Free promotion  .Can even see if a better deal might be on the Nov 20th Cyber Sale promotion . In any event got a ton of OBC ,ppd gratuities ,free upgrade from DF to BB balcony & 2 coupon books .  The net price per day is very very reasonable vs the Alaska cruise & a newer ship :classic_biggrin:

Last June we did a Caribe balcony.  Great cabin and balcony.  I am a "balcony" person and do not sail without one.  Mainly because of the weather we really did not use the balcony.  It was a waste this time.  Depends on the weather but it is a gamble whether a balcony is worth it.  If you have plenty of money, go for it.  Otherwise that money is better spent on a helicopter tour or something of that nature.

Had a great cruise on The golden.  Room service was not an option though. They never answered the phone on our seven night cruise.   

It is a lot of money, but booking early you get the cabin(s) you want, and (if you live in the US) you can always re-fare under a future promotional. As long as your category doesn't sell out which is one reason I didn't ask if there was a family suite open!

Also, FWIW, I dummy booked the HAL 14-day on the Maasdam (R/T Vancouver) that was released yesterday, and apples to apples (that is Vista Suites on the Maasdam to our Mini-Suites on the Golden) -- the Maasdam came out 25% more expensive, just for the fares. And for us not as interesting ports (Haines and Valdez over Skagway and Sitka!). Then there is international airfare both ways and for us, hotel rooms in YVR, whereas LA is our "home port" and we can put up the rest of the family pre- and post-cruise.

So I'm sitting pretty satisfied with my situation. Two Mini-Suites for five people came out less than three OceanViews, a bit above 3 Obstructed OceanViews. And we get sofas and the BIG WINDOW (even if weather precludes using the balcony much). Plus there is a year and a half to watch for promotions!