Sydney port to airport travel time

We will be arriving in Sydney (Circular Quay) off the Celebrity Solstice on Friday Jan. 4 at about 7AM. Ā We are thinking about booking an international flight that is scheduled to depart at 1:30 PM (1330). Ā That seems to be sufficient time to make the flight, but is that a safe bet? Ā Ā We will probably leave the ship ASAP but will have bags to pick up on the quayĀ and check at the airport. Ā Given the bags, I'm sure we would plan to take a taxi. Ā Any help is appreciated.

13 hours ago, jan-n-john said:

We will be arriving in Sydney (Circular Quay) off the Celebrity Solstice on Friday Jan. 4 at about 7AM. Ā We are thinking about booking an international flight that is scheduled to depart at 1:30 PM (1330). Ā That seems to be sufficient time to make the flight, but is that a safe bet? Ā Ā We will probably leave the ship ASAP but will have bags to pick up on the quayĀ and check at the airport. Ā Given the bags, I'm sure we would plan to take a taxi. Ā Any help is appreciated.

Ā 

Easily done. There won't be any need to hurry.

Ā 

With luggage, always grab a taxi.

Ā 

Without luggage, the train is easier and quicker.

Just keep in mind that '3 hour window' of airport transit time - check in - baggage, immigration, security etc and you will be fine. So say 0900 leave the ship, gives you one hour to go through bag collection/immigration/customs and half hour to travel by taxi from Circular Quay to Sydney Airport.

Ā 

Above all enjoy.

I did this recently. Flight was 12.50pm. We took the option of RCI shuttle to airport as we were advised by many that taxis can be difficult to come by due to demand and we also had a lot of luggage. It took more than half an hour to the airport, once we hit the airport outskirts it was very congested and slow moving but we were there in more than enough time.Ā 

I hope it's o.k. to piggy back on your question as it seems you've gotten great answers...

Ā 

Our Solstice cruise gets into Sydney at 6:30 a.m. on March 29 (a Friday).Ā  We would like to make a 10:45 a.m. flight to Yulara (Uluru).Ā  Google maps says it's a 16 minute cab ride to the airport.Ā  We are fit and seasoned travelers.Ā  As long as we take our own luggage off, can we make that flight?

6 hours ago, lovestx said:

I hope it's o.k. to piggy back on your question as it seems you've gotten great answers...

Ā 

Our Solstice cruise gets into Sydney at 6:30 a.m. on March 29 (a Friday).Ā  We would like to make a 10:45 a.m. flight to Yulara (Uluru).Ā  Google maps says it's a 16 minute cab ride to the airport.Ā  We are fit and seasoned travelers.Ā  As long as we take our own luggage off, can we make that flight?

Maybe.

Ā 

Check In will close about 10:15.

Ā 

goolge maps canā€™t get any worse 16 minutes might be with no other cars on the road, maybe 1/2 hour, if your lucky. That time on a Friday canā€™t get any more rush hour so personally Iā€™d budget an hour.

Ā 

walk off is normally around 8:00 ish

Ā 

one problem and you miss your flight

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lovestx said:

Ā 

I agree with GUT's comment that the drive to the airport would take 30 minutes (if everything goes OK). The 16 minute estimate would be with absolutely no other traffic on the roads and obviously that doesn't happen, even in the middle of the night. Will you get there in time for a 10.45 flight? You should be OK if (as you said) you arrange to self-disembark. The earliest this will happen is after 7am. Allow 30 minutes for Immigration and Customs. There is usually a Taxi Marshall outside the terminal. When we have been short of time to make a flight, I go up to him with a smile and ask him to help us get a taxi quickly as we are running late to catch a flight. Within literally a couple of minutes, he has a taxi there for us. (By the way - no tip is required for this service:classic_biggrin:, just a "thank you".)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree with GUT's comment that the drive to the airport would take 30 minutes (if everything goes OK). The 16 minute estimate would be with absolutely no other traffic on the roads and obviously that doesn't happen, even in the middle of the night. Will you get there in time for a 10.45 flight? You should be OK if (as you said) you arrange to self-disembark. The earliest this will happen is after 7am. Allow 30 minutes for Immigration and Customs. There is usually a Taxi Marshall outside the terminal. When we have been short of time to make a flight, I go up to him with a smile and ask him to help us get a taxi quickly as we are running late to catch a flight. Within literally a couple of minutes, he has a taxi there for us. (By the way - no tip is required for this service:classic_biggrin:, just a "thank you".)

Aus Traveller and anyone else with lots of experience at this, would you say that the advice I was given "thatļ»æĀ ļ»ætaxis can be difficult to come by due to demandļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æĀ ļ»æā€ is incorrect, thank you

3 minutes ago, phoenixx said:

Aus Traveller and anyone else with lots of experience at this, would you say that the advice I was given "thatļ»æĀ ļ»ætaxis can be difficult to come by due to demandļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æĀ ļ»æā€ is incorrect, thank you

I would not agree with the advice that taxis are difficult to come by. We have always got one within a few minutes.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I would not agree with the advice that taxis are difficult to come by. We have always got one within a few minutes.

Hmm I did wonder. Can you give a ballpark figure of taxi to airport price for 2 people+normal amount of luggage please?

10 hours ago, lovestx said:

Ā 

Ā 

You might want to check your itinerary a bit more carefully. I'm booked to board Solstice on March 29 2019 - in AUCKLAND.

Ā 

It would be a bit tricky making a 10:34am flight from Sydney to Uluru if you've disembarked in Auckland.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

40 minutes ago, phoenixx said:

Never had an issue e getting one if you follow the directions to the right spot.

35 minutes ago, phoenixx said:

Hmm I did wonder. Can you give a ballpark figure of taxi to airport price for 2 people+normal amount of luggage please?

$50 to 60.

Ā 

i think the fare estimator comes out at just under $50

1 hour ago, phoenixx said:

A GUT said, the fare estimator is a bit under $50. Taxis will usually take the toll-roads unless you ask them not to. Drivers prefer to take the toll roads because they can complete the trip in less time and then get another customer. Obviously if you are short of time you need them to take the toll roads, even though it adds several dollars (I think it is $8) to the cost.Ā  I would expect to pay close to $60 from the OPT to the airport, using the toll roads.

Ā 

Your luggage won't cost any extra, but we usually round the fare up (example: We give the driver $60 for a $57 fare.)

Edited by Aus Traveller

42 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The train from the OPT to the Domestic airport would be around $37 for the two of you and you would have to drag your own bags. Takes about 15 mins on the train.

Plus the time to get to the railway station, then a short wait for a train. At the other end, you also have to drag your luggage to the check in area, rather than being dropped at the door by a taxi. I vote for a taxi every time. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1