First time cruisers IAH to Galveston

FrankNBrew

We will be taking our first cruise on RCCL out of Galveston in February. We fly in to IAH Saturday morning, but our ship does not depart until Sunday afternoon. We plan to spend Saturday night somewhere other than Galveston, and make our way to Galveston Sunday morning. Our plan is to rent a vehicle from IAH Hertz at noon and drop it off in League City by noon Sunday (I have enough Hertz points for a 1 day 1 way rental) and grab an Uber/Lyft to the port . The Hertz location will be closed and I'll have to drop off the keys in a drop box. Has anybody dropped off a rental at this location and can see any issues we may have with this plan? Is Uber/Lyft popular in this area? Or will we be waiting a while for a pickup? If our ship leaves at 4:00 PM what's the earliest, or best, time to arrive at the port? All responses appreciated!!

Looking at the office info for the Hertz in League City for Saturdays it appears they close at noon so a Saturday drop off would be no better than Sunday.

A quick search on Google maps shows there's a Spring Hill Suites less than 2 miles from the Hertz location. As for Uber/Lyft I would go online and do a fare estimate to get an idea of the cost depending on the size of your party.

blob.png.d73f209156a416d0650f4ad0a9d248fa.png

As to what's the best time to get to the port I usually plan on getting to the terminal around 10:30 am or so. I've done this the past two years and have had no problem getting right on the ship after getting through security and registration.

One important thing to keep in mind since you will be sailing out in February is to remember that Galveston can and will have fog delays during that time of year. Keep checking local weather sites along with the Port of Galveston website to keep informed of any delays that might happen which means you would have to plan accordingly.  

Have a great cruise on Liberty, she's a great ship with a great crew and you'll find that the majority of the passengers are good people as well if my past two cruise's on her are any indication.

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate the info. I've since determined I can rent a car from Budget for $50 and drop it off in Texas City. That will get me closer to the port, and not burn up enough Hertz point for 3 days elsewhere. Still finalizing plans on where to stay Saturday night. Spend the night in Texas City and Uber to the port in the morning, or drop the car off Saturday night and Uber to a hotel in Galveston? So many decisions...if only there were a Hertz office and Mariott hotel steps away form the cruise terminal.  Maybe Galveston was not the best choice for our first cruise.

Hotels rates in Galveston should be good for you that weekend in February as long as it’s not Mardi  Gras weekends . 

There is a good reason for two night stays! 

There  is so much to do on the Island .

If you want to vacation  versus a one time night crash..... stay on the island . 

I can say there is more to do on Galveston Island than in  most ports of call destinations ....you will visit on you’re cruises . 

Galveston is a major tourist destination . 

Events and times of year affecting lodging rates are : 

High Summer Season 

Spring Break 

Lone Star Motorcycle Rally 

Dickens on Strand 

Mardi Gras 

Feather Fest (birding) 

Many Smaller festivals , fun runs and etc. 

Large Conventions at two convention centers.  

Weekends with great weather for day trippers    

from all over the Great State of Texas . 

Weekends with three or four cruise ships 

Two night minimums are economic driven . 

Nothing set in stone by policy or laws .  

New hotels have been built, do you’re homework . One night stays are available . Galveston is a wonderful destination, that’s why it’s in demand .

Come for a stay before and after the cruise , like we do traveling to far away places . We just do not go for the cruise . 

Edited by ssb

• 1 month later...

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I would update this one. 

So we finalized our trip plans several weeks back. I booked a full size car from Budget, one way from IAH to Texas City, for $31 through Costco. We have friend in Beaumont who suggested we stay near the Galleria in Houston, and she would meet us there and show us around. Well here we are, flight leaves tomorrow morning, and she cancelled on us due to illness. We used a Marriott voucher (value up to 25,000 points) to book a room in the Galleria area, but now I'm wondering if that voucher would be put to better use staying elsewhere. I was planning to drop off the rental in Texas City around 11:00 and take an Uber to the port. We're both late 40ish, like a good meal and a cocktail, but prefer to get to bed at a reasonable hour. Should we stick with our Galleria Houston hotel, as we'll be hard pressed to find a better area? Or can you think of a better way to spend an afternoon and evening in the Houston/Galveston area?

With one transfer versus multiple transfers , come on down to Galveston . And  try these hotels  in Galveston . Galveston Express or Galveston Limo or Uber 
Saturday night 

2.8 mi
th?id=A9OBqMXqLl%252fmyKg480x360:AYBPcvo
$107
3+ sites
3.3 mi
$104
3+ sites
3.3 mi
$95