Which Galapagos cruise?

goin'toalaska

Trying to decide on a Galapagos cruise for spring 2019.  We are looking at the National Geographic Lindblad 10 day Northern Loop on the Endeavor II, or Celebrity Expedition Northern Loop 7-day.  Which would you recommend for a family with kids ranging from 8 to 14 years old?  The National Geographic seems much more expensive, even taking into account the longer trip, so. I guess I’m slightly leaning towards Cellebrity, but would be willing to pay more if the Nat Geo would be a better experience?  Any feedback?

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 1:10 PM, goin'toalaska said:

Trying to decide on a Galapagos cruise for spring 2019.  We are looking at the National Geographic Lindblad 10 day Northern Loop on the Endeavor II, or Celebrity Expedition Northern Loop 7-day.  Which would you recommend for a family with kids ranging from 8 to 14 years old?  The National Geographic seems much more expensive, even taking into account the longer trip, so. I guess I’m slightly leaning towards Cellebrity, but would be willing to pay more if the Nat Geo would be a better experience?  Any feedback?

Did you decide?  We're looking at Celebrity Xpedition in Nov. 2019.  The Future Cruise agent aboard the Celebrity Silhouette on our recent TA worked a pretty good deal for us... $9942CAD per person. We managed to snag a mini-suite on the upper deck for that price.  We put a deposit down but can cancel for full refund before July.    This will be our 5th Celebrity cruise.  Looking forward to it.

Because of the arrival of the new Celebrity Flora, the Xpedition is apparently going in for a quick refit at some point before our cruise.  The number of passengers aboard is suppose to be reduced from 100, down to something like 60, as per environmental regulations (or so we have been told),

We took the Celebrity years ago and it was memorable. They have it down perfectly. We did see the Lindblad ship and it was very old looking but they may have a newer vessels now just like Celebrity does.

Celebrity uses Equidorian guides that are the official guide for Galapagos. They gave us at that time a wonder CD of picture from our tours. They offer each day different levels of hikes, some easier some very difficult.

I am looking at three pictures we framed and put up in our house.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi Trend, 

You mentioned the different level of hikes that Celebrity offers.  How difficult would the most difficult be with regards to length of time, distance and elevation?  And do we have to sign up for these excursions and are their limited space on each excursion or if everyone wanted to go on the same one would we all be able to?

Also, I really like to swim in the ocean.  Are there many opportunities when we can just jump off the boat and go for a swim as it's tendered somewhere? (without those annoying uninflated life jackets I've had to wear on snorkeling excursions I've taken with other Celebrity cruises)

Great questions, each night they had everyone in there lounge watch a video or a talk about the next days spot.

you were explained the different tour levels and signed up on a sheet.

No one was turned away from which they wanted. Easy usually using the zodiac going around the land area and viewing.

Medium was a short hike maybe 10 min on more level ground. Difficult depended on the spot as one was climbing 93 steps up to a lookout another day it was hiking over uneven ground 1 hr.

We swam from a beach in one spot and signed up for the deep water snorkel early morning at Kicker Rock. The seals in February were only a couple of months old so at Christmas they probably are newborn and you can stand near them on the beach and hear them suckling.