ESTA question (Non-US citizen)

John Frusciante

Normally, an I-94W (assuming you are eligible) will suffice to cross into the U.S. (bring proof of onward passage/return home such as your cruise documents) for an Italian citizen.  You need to fill the green form (as well as the blue customs one) at the border and pay ~USD 6 in cash for entry processing fees.  An ESTA will reportedly speed things along and you don't have to pay the entry processing fees.

No ESTA required to board the ship going to Europe. 

My experience crossing US land border with relatives (UK passport holders) was the same as the 'roach posted - $6 each and the old paper I-94W form. We were even told by the CBP officer at the booth outside that if they had got their ESTAs in advance he'd have been able to swipe their passports then and there, we would not even have needed to go inside for processing which was a surprise - so personally I'd get an ESTA anyway, as the minimal extra cost may save you a big chunk of wait time...

Had a similar experience with my dad (UK passport) a couple of months ago. Checked the requirements and they advised no ESTA required to enter the US via a land crossing. You complete the I-94W form at the border and pay them US$6.00.

At the border, they did mention that getting an ESTA, would have expedited up the process. We never head to the US at peak times, so it only took about 5 mins.

On departing the US you must return the I-94 form to prove you left the country. No ESTA is required to board a TA cruise.