Overnight parking in Hilo and Maui

mek

We will be on a cruise in April with overnights in Hilo and Maui.  We always rent cars and now we can keep one for two days as long as we can figure out where to park the cars near the ship overnight.  Any suggestions?

I suggest a little read/search of the board. There are many threads on parking at Maui- by the way, where are you coming on shore at Maui...that is two separate issues for parking, or not parking.

Hilo is not a very frequent overnight dock. Haven't seen much info on parking there.

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I suggest a little read/search of the board. There are many threads on parking at Maui- by the way, where are you coming on shore at Maui...that is two separate issues for parking, or not parking.

Hilo is not a very frequent overnight dock. Haven't seen much info on parking there.

We agree with CruiserBruce about reading and searching the board.  It looks like you will be tendering at Lahaina, so focus your search around there when you check on Maui.

On 11/14/2018 at 4:24 PM, mek said:

We will be on a cruise in April with overnights in Hilo and Maui.  We always rent cars and now we can keep one for two days as long as we can figure out where to park the cars near the ship overnight.  Any suggestions?

The following is from a post from last December.  You might want to check it out just to give an idea of what may be available:

"We just got back from Pacific'o and parked in the outside lot at Shaw and Front. We had a choice of a flat rate of $10 from 4pm to 7am or a flat rate of $25 for 24 hours! So that lot is at least overnight!"

In Hilo the cost of overnight parking at the airport is $15 for a 24 hour period.  Really reasonable.  It is not within walking distance from the port but a very short taxi ride.  You might check if there is a free shuttle between the rental company and the port which you could use if parking your car at the airport overnight.  Cherie

On 11/18/2018 at 4:53 PM, cccole said:

In Hilo the cost of overnight parking at the airport is $15 for a 24 hour period.  Really reasonable.  It is not within walking distance from the port but a very short taxi ride.  You might check if there is a free shuttle between the rental company and the port which you could use if parking your car at the airport overnight.  Cherie

I thought about checking on that.  Paying for overnight parking isn't an issue - we simply want to take advantage of not having to rush back to the ship the first day and might return back late in the evening.

Edited by mek

In 2004 we had an overnight docking in Hilo.  I rented a car the first day and asked the harbor master if I could park there.  He told me that I could park right outside the gate where they could see  it.  He said it was very safe there and it was free.  I don’t know if they still allow that.  You can always contact them to find out.

Have you checked on Discount Hawaii Car Rental and Orbitz for car rental pick ups in Hilo in the am and returning at 9:00p.m. or later the same day?  There are several flights out of Hilo after 9:00 p.m. and I believe that the rental car companies are open late in the evening.  The airport does not close down at sunset.  If you are not going to use the car the next morning returning late the same day is probably an option.  Have fun.  Cherie

• 1 month later...

We have found several lots that offer over night parking in Lahaina.  One being behind the the Wharf Cinemas.  We will be ensuring that we have top notch insurance in the event that the car is broken into or even stolen.  Apparently, this does happen every now and again with cars left overnight.    People watch you and see that you are returning to the ship.  So, we will be buying top notch insurance to cover any eventuality, not just relying on our own car policy or our corporate policy.  It is worth the extra money in my opinion.  

• 4 years later...

I'm replying for the sake of having a recent reply on this question.  In Maui, near the Kahului port where the cruise ship docked, we parked at the Long's 24 hour store but we did receive a warning ticket to not park there and that the car's license plate was recorded.  That is a long walk in the heat but the closest.  To pick up your family from the boat, you can ask them to wait at gate 6 and then you enter from Hobrun Road and tell security that you're picking them up. 

Edited by Davidyho