Regal Princess. Tips

josephml1

On a Caribbean sailing:

We take our breakfast trays all the way aft on Lido outside to the Horizon Terrace. It's a wonderful way to start the day and we almost always find tables available. 

It's not often mentioned on these boards but if you like sushi I highly recommend the Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar. We usually visit this venue at least twice in a 7 day sailing and share the sampler.

For peace and quiet while sunbathing and swimming we head up to the Sun Deck and choose a couple of the free loungers by the retreat pool.

Edited by hllwdcruiser
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, josephml1 said:

Hi

Please let me know your inside tips for the Regal Princess

Please share your favorite: spot, food, restaurant, inside tips, bar, favorite place, pool, secret place, etc

All tips are welcome.

Alfredo's waiter served, no charge open from 11am until late evening.

Extensive buffet, open 5am until late evening, never closes during that time. Scan entire area before making your selections.

Horizon Terrace, nice seating area.

Free, coffee from grounds, hot tea and hot chocolate in the buffet area.

Seating for shows, especially theater production shows and comics in the Vista Lounge, arrive 30 to 45 minutes early.

International Cafe nice option for cont. breakfast, lunch and any other time. No charge for food.

Crooner's late evening piano entertainment, may be good, may be not so good, depends on the entertainer.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, geoherb said:

One of my favorite places on the Regal is Alfredo's. The food there is very good. It's our go-to place for lunch when the dining room isn't open on port days. 

and it's FREE. Something I didn't know in our first sailing with Regal. Premium pizza and other Italian dishes.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hllwdcruiser said:

On a Caribbean sailing:

We take our breakfast trays all the way aft on Lido outside to the Horizon Terrace. It's a wonderful way to start the day and we almost always find tables available. 

It's not often mentioned on these boards but if you like sushi I highly recommend the Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar. We usually visit this venue at least twice in a 7 day sailing and share the sampler.

For peace and quiet while sunbathing and swimming we head up to the Sun Deck and choose a couple of the free loungers by the retreat pool.

Did Princess offer serving trays or did you bring your own?  Don't laugh, on one of our past cruises, the cruise line stopped the serving trays, so, we brought our own!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pickels said:

Did Princess offer serving trays or did you bring your own?  Don't laugh, on one of our past cruises, the cruise line stopped the serving trays, so, we brought our own!

I never remember seeing serving trays at the buffet on any any Princess ship. They have large plates. Flatware is on the tables. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pickels said:

Yes - sorry - I meant the large plates, not trays....

Just off a 10 day on the Regal....great ship!

Vines wine bar our favorite location in the Piazza, staff is amazing especially Nemmo!!  Fun to sit at the bar and people watch!

Also Club 6 was a good later evening lounge.

We found arriving 20  minutes early for shows was more than sufficient to get a good seat unless you want to be right up front.

We avoided the buffet as much as possible, and succeeded all but 3 times. We were in Club Class but ate in MDR area a few times, so much better than maneuvering around the crowds in the buffet area.

Retreat pool area very nice.

Can't imagine having anything but a great time on the Regal!

Edited by Gracie115
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, geocruiser said:

The buffet is very good.  On the last sea day of our Caribbean cruises in the very back (aft) of the buffet they have a sea food bar.  Prawns, shrimp, mussels and oysters.  It is my DH favorite lunch.  

IS that for lunch OR dinner?   thank you in advance

This is kind of an issue on all ships, but, if you want to see the early show in the Princess Theater, get there EARLY.  Arriving 45 minutes before showtime is not too early.  It fills up quickly. We had unlimited internet on the Regal in October, so we’d often take our iPad along and catch up with emails during the wait for showtime.   Late show is often less crowded.

• Like 1

DW & I have a favorite table in Vines on Plaza Deck.  There is a table against the window all the way in the rear next to the wine cabinet.  It is dark and private and you have a nice view of the water.  In the attached photo you can see a man sitting at that table.  We love to go there for a cocktail before dinner.

Vines Bar.jpg

• Like 5

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:48 AM, framer said:

If you can book M107 or M108 do it.  L107 and L108 are great also. 

ST6.jpg

The photo is M107

Great balcony!  We had a balcony on the bow of the Norwegian Epic and it was completely glass enclosed except for one small window due to the wind when under way.  How was this balcony when underway?  DW & I love to spend our afternoons on sea days on our balcony.  Do you think this suite would work for us?

Thank you.

• Like 1

We've been on Regal a few times. I tend to have a routine on sea days that I look forward too. I get up early enough to get to the Retreat pool while most are still at breakfast, get a lounger up front, put headphones on and listen to music or an audiobook before the hustle and bustle of the day. Once DW comes to join me (10am or so) I head to the terrace bar and get a bloody mary.

We enjoy Vines and usually make acquaintances with one of the bar servers. If you engage them in conversation about the types of wines you like, generally show interest in them,  you may find yourself a few free samples or heavier pours.

Alfredo's is always good as mentioned several times.... hard to believe it's free and so few people take advantage of it.

If you like burgers, get a burger from the grill by the pool, head to the buffet to build your own gourmet burger with the various selection of cheeses, meats, sometimes bacon, sauce etc.

Some days the lunch buffet has taco's... and sometimes..... Gyros!!! (from the meat spit including Tzatziki sauce!!)

Usually a late night stop at the International Cafe provides a light snack, dessert or a nice cubano sandwich.

If your a wino or even just a foodie who likes wine.... do not miss the wine makers dinner, IMO the best bang for your buck if you are looking to pay for a specialty dining experience... .while not huge portions, you will leave full and satisfied (and most likely gain a few new friends)

Crooners is a nice spot before dinner for a cocktail.

Best draft beer on the ship is served at the Wheelhouse bar (although beer selection in general on Princess is lacking) but it's always cold and always fresh.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, I Love NC said:

IS that for lunch OR dinner?   thank you in advance

Lunch.  The oysters were on the half shell.  There was PLENTY of every thing.  They also had a big cake special.  All kinds of cake that the would give you a slice of.  With the cake the only trouble was getting a small slice.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Great balcony!  We had a balcony on the bow of the Norwegian Epic and it was completely glass enclosed except for one small window due to the wind when under way.  How was this balcony when underway?  DW & I love to spend our afternoons on sea days on our balcony.  Do you think this suite would work for us?

Thank you.

If the winds from the stern wonderful, with a breeze from the bow OK for me.  In weather; fun, if you like to stand up on a motorcycle at 60mph 😁.  Seriously in port it's great, order lunch/dinner from room service and enjoy. 

This just a mini suite not a suite. 

framer

Edited by framer

20 hours ago, BigGuy25 said:

This is kind of an issue on all ships, but, if you want to see the early show in the Princess Theater, get there EARLY.  Arriving 45 minutes before showtime is not too early.  It fills up quickly. We had unlimited internet on the Regal in October, so we’d often take our iPad along and catch up with emails during the wait for showtime.   Late show is often less crowded.

I can't speak to any ship but the Regal which we were just on last week but we NEVER arrived more than 20 minutes before a show and always found great seats.  We don't like seats front & center but even those were open at that time so I don't agree with this post as far as the Regal is concerned.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

I can't speak to any ship but the Regal which we were just on last week but we NEVER arrived more than 20 minutes before a show and always found great seats.  We don't like seats front & center but even those were open at that time so I don't agree with this post as far as the Regal is concerned.  

Just sayin ... we were on the Regal’s 14-day Transatlantic in September and if you arrived in the theater 20 minutes before the early show you would find only a few single seats scattered around the theater.  This was one of the very few things you would hear people grumbling about.  Every sailing is likely somewhat different, so just check it out on yours.

Edited by BigGuy25

12 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Dumb question - does Vines serve other drinks than wine ?

Not a dumb question at all.  There are times when Vines bar isn't staffed and Vines looks empty as in the above photo.  I would walk over to the Piazza Bar, get our drinks there and carry them back to our 'special' table in the back of Vines.  When Vines is staffed, we have had no problem getting a beer and a martini.