Silver Explorer Cuban Itineraries 2019/2020 Cancelled

zigtraveller

Zigtraveller,  yes I'm looking at the Scenic Eclipse.  We saw her earlier this year off the coast of Croatia when we were on an Adriatic cruise with Seabourn.  At first I thought it was a superyacht belonging to some oligarch; all dark and sleek.  As we sailed away I managed to see the "Eclipse" name.  Only when I started looking for an alternative cruise did I see the Scenic Eclipse and everything fell into place.  The price for what we'd like is high but I feel that it's better than 2 separate cruises at different times.  By booking early we are getting either 20min helicopter or 20min sub thrown in.  Though I normally book direct I am using an agent that I've used before and because I'm also booking a Seabourn Baltic cruise, both in good grade suites, they're being generous.  The ship is now not scheduled for its maiden voyage until April 2019 due to strikes in the Croatian shipyard, but they don't want everything up front in order to get any deal.  We're beginning to get excited again.  Good luck in your hunt for a suitable cruise.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Holy Roller said:

Zigtraveller,  yes I'm looking at the Scenic Eclipse.  We saw her earlier this year off the coast of Croatia when we were on an Adriatic cruise with Seabourn.  At first I thought it was a superyacht belonging to some oligarch; all dark and sleek.  As we sailed away I managed to see the "Eclipse" name.  Only when I started looking for an alternative cruise did I see the Scenic Eclipse and everything fell into place.  The price for what we'd like is high but I feel that it's better than 2 separate cruises at different times.  By booking early we are getting either 20min helicopter or 20min sub thrown in.  Though I normally book direct I am using an agent that I've used before and because I'm also booking a Seabourn Baltic cruise, both in good grade suites, they're being generous.  The ship is now not scheduled for its maiden voyage until April 2019 due to strikes in the Croatian shipyard, but they don't want everything up front in order to get any deal.  We're beginning to get excited again.  Good luck in your hunt for a suitable cruise.

Good luck with Scenic. Have you been following the tale of woe that is the Scenic thread on these boards?

Having been interested earlier this year, we wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole after the way they have behaved.

Hi Silver Spectre,

I know that they've had trouble with shipyard strikes in Croatia, where she's being built.  The revised maiden voyage is now April 2019 so I'm hoping that October will have most of the problems sorted.  DO you have any other information as I'm about to book.

46 minutes ago, Holy Roller said:

Hi Silver Spectre,

I know that they've had trouble with shipyard strikes in Croatia, where she's being built.  The revised maiden voyage is now April 2019 so I'm hoping that October will have most of the problems sorted.  DO you have any other information as I'm about to book.

Only that which is on the Scenic thread

Hello, Cool Cruiser.  I too have just confirmed our booking for October/November 2019 on the Eclipse.  Sadly, the suite and deck we originally wanted had just been taken but we've settled for Deck 8. 

Realistically, I don't think that after the delays they've had they would dare state a revised maiden voyage in April unless they'd built a little slack into the timing.  Another delay would be vey damaging and costly.  they may be covered by insurance and penalty clauses but their reputation would take a severe hit.  I've also booked another Seabourn for the end of June.

Where are you going in August?

• 7 months later...

A quick update.  Just returned from our Baltic cruise with Seabourn which was excellent.  On board they're great and both the pre- and post-cruise transfers, hotels and communications were good.  We are still expecting to sail on the Scenic Eclipse from Miami to Lima in October.  The revised itinerary is disappointing with the loss of Cuba (thanks to the Trump edict) but it was difficult to find anything else suitable at short notice.  I feel that Scenic were not very helpful with the change but had a rather "take it or leave it" attitude.  This spoils the experience somewhat and makes me concerned about Scenic, both in terms of finance and customer focus.  Nevertheless, we have confirmed the booking and will see how it turns out.  With all the turmoil I am not booking another cruise until we return.