San Diego flight time changed to 9:30am

sellwingri

Are you trying to say you will do carry on only? Are you talking about carrying off your own luggage? That part of your post is very confusing. The only way you can even dream about catching this flight is carrying off your own luggage.

It all depends on how fast everything goes, but it is going to be very stressful. I would not plan on making this flight. Rather I would be having American switch you to another flight, which they should do for free.

51 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Are you trying to say you will do carry on only? Are you talking about carrying off your own luggage? That part of your post is very confusing. The only way you can even dream about catching this flight is carrying off your own luggage.

It all depends on how fast everything goes, but it is going to be very stressful. I would not plan on making this flight. Rather I would be having American switch you to another flight, which they should do for free.

I apologize if I was unclear.  No, we will not take off our own luggage.  Since I’m currently on a cruise, I’ll wait until I get home and see if they’ll give me a refund.  Next flight is late afternoon.

Edited by sellwingri

Don't accept the change for now.  Review other AA flight options and ask to be put on those.  If not ticket refund.  I am not sure how much schedule time change is required for you to invoke this right.  You might want to see how much prevailing airfares are before you do this though.

Edited by cruising cockroach

4 hours ago, sellwingri said:

American just changed our flight home time from 11:30 rfect) to 9:30 (yuk).  How doable is this if we don’t do disembark with our luggage which is not possible after a 16 day cruise.

Did you contact your airline and explain your situation?  This (changing flight schedules) happens all the time and the airlines will normally work with you on getting you on a flight more to your likely than the one your were now assigned to - and without a change fee or increase in fare.  Sometimes we have been able to get on a new flight that originally was more expensive than the one we booked without paying more - so it worked out better for us.  Worst case, they should offer to cancel your flight and give you a full refund.

Do your homework before you call the airline and know what options are available on your airline and which replacement one you would like.  Again, most airlines are very good about working with you in this situation. 

You would not be able to make this flight or at least 90% sure you wouldn't.  San Diego is known for the slowest security lines and worse layout.  It's an old airport that's not laid out very well.  We have flown out of there on the same day cruises have disembarked and it's horrible.  Try to take a later flight, go to Old Town or Gaslamp, have a nice lunch, and then go to the airport after the cruise rush.    

I’ve dealt with AA in the past and they’ve always been accommodating.  I’m currently on a cruise so I can’t  call them until I get home.  I’ll try to get a refund and book on United since they have a flight at a reasonable time.  

Since Ive never cruised to San Diego, I was just interested in timing.  I’d heard the airport is close, like Ft Lauderdale, and wanted to know if we’d be able to make it.

The airport is close, but nobody reasonably recommends a 9:30 flight at FLL. Plus getting into San Diego is sometimes a little tricky, with fog. At Port Everglades the really large RCI ships start disembarking by about 6:30, everybody else around 7 or so. I have never heard of any ship letting people off before 7 in San Diego (have sailed out of there 4 or 5 times) and sometimes they start much later.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

The airport is close, but nobody reasonably recommends a 9:30 flight at FLL. Plus getting into San Diego is sometimes a little tricky, with fog. At Port Everglades the really large RCI ships start disembarking by about 6:30, everybody else around 7 or so. I have never heard of any ship letting people off before 7 in San Diego (have sailed out of there 4 or 5 times) and sometimes they start much later.

I agree - SD can be slow disembarking (including Customs).  While the airport is only about 2 miles but you have to go around the block with several lights just to get headed the right way, so the trip could take 15 minutes.  A 9:30 AM flight is way too early IMO.

You didn't say when this flight is supposed to happen so I picked a random sat in March to check. (and assuming you are going to O'hare) I found about 10 flights that leave between about 11am and 1pm to Chicago on AA. They either connect in Phoenix or Dallas.  Both airports are easy to connect in.  No reason to cancel and change to United unless you, for whatever reason, need a nonstop flight. 

I’m home and cancelled the American flight.  They’re issuing a refund-no problems at all since the change is more than 2 hours. With non stops available, connecting flights is not an option.  

Am am I correct in assuming that a flight at  11 am is ok?  United has a flight then.

Edited by sellwingri

29 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

I’m home and cancelled the American flight.  They’re issuing a refund-no problems at all since the change is more than 2 hours. With non stops available, connecting flights is not an option.  

Am am I correct in assuming that a flight at  11 am is ok?  United has a flight then.

Glad you were able to get a full refund.  As to an 11 am flight, IMO it is cutting it a bit close.  As mentioned already, SD can have some lateness issues and even thought the airport is very closeby, you might miss your flight.  Is there something around Noon-1PM?  Why stress about potential issues on your last day of vacation by cutting things a bit close?

If San Diego is anything like Ft Lauderdale (close to the airport), my guess is that 11 should be fine but wanted to check with the “experts”.  I just flew home from San Juan on Saturday and spent 5+ painful hours at the airport.  No other flights until after 3 pm.  Still not sure what I’m going to do.

Not us we would play it safe & go on the  3 PM flight  .If you pre check your luggage  you can go  & have lunch ,relax  & get to the airport with time to spare & no hassles .  A 11 AM flight is really cutting it too close ;because of issues  : possible ship arrival delay , customs delays  ie .Why get all stressed out after a nice relaxing cruise?    

Be relaxed & enjoy  some of San Diego :classic_biggrin:

San Diego is notorious for delays related to Immigration (not Customs). There always seems to be some non-USA passengers who don't follow the directions for doing their Customs check on-board, and until all those people are cleared, no one is let off the ship. 11AM might be workable, but I have not been allowed off the ship in San Diego a number of times prior to 10AM, which would result in you missing your flight.

2 hours ago, Splinter said:

San Diego is notorious for delays related to Immigration (not Customs). There always seems to be some non-USA passengers who don't follow the directions for doing their Customs check on-board, and until all those people are cleared, no one is let off the ship. 11AM might be workable, but I have not been allowed off the ship in San Diego a number of times prior to 10AM, which would result in you missing your flight.

Our experience exactly in San Diego.  

At worst you could get the next day's flight out.  San Diego is a wonderful city.

I still haven’t booked the 11am flight.  We’re the only ship in port (3/13/2019) so hold ups with bigger ships won’t be an issue.

i am interested in a comment made about pre-checking your luggage.  I know that valet isn’t available so were you referring to dropping off your baggage at the airport and then taking a cab into the city?  How far is it?

9 hours ago, sellwingri said:

I still haven’t booked the 11am flight.  We’re the only ship in port (3/13/2019) so hold ups with bigger ships won’t be an issue.

i am interested in a comment made about pre-checking your luggage.  I know that valet isn’t available so were you referring to dropping off your baggage at the airport and then taking a cab into the city?  How far is it?

The airport is right in the city, so an inexpensive taxi or Uber ride.  As far as dropping luggage off early, I don't know if you can do that.  Some airports have restrictions, such as FLL where it's 3 hrs. before your flight.  Don't know about SD.

Roz

Thanks for the info.  I think the luggage drop off time of 3 hours at FLL  is only for Southwest.  We’ve dropped ours off up to 8 hours before our flight.  Think we’ll try to take our time disembarking the ship and take the 3pm flight.  I don’t want to be under pressure after a 16 day cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2018 at 5:37 AM, sellwingri said:

Thanks for the info.  I think the luggage drop off time of 3 hours at FLL  is only for Southwest.  We’ve dropped ours off up to 8 hours before our flight.  Think we’ll try to take our time disembarking the ship and take the 3pm flight.  I don’t want to be under pressure after a 16 day cruise.

Good choice.. 😉

You cannot check your luggage earlier than 4 hours prior to your flight at the San Diego airport. There is no locker service at the airport either. If you have a late flight, you might see about checking your luggage at a hotel near the port (you can tell them you are checking in later; a good tip will smooth this over).  You should be at the airport 2 hours prior to your flight. TSA check-in there can be a long line.

What are you planning on doing downtown?  There is not a lot to do or see unless you are wanting to eat or go clubbing.  Little Italy is a good place to eat, and is about 4 blocks from the pier, so an easy walk. Balboa Park and the Zoo are not "downtown", and a far walk (3 miles from the pier), but you can easily take a cab or Uber/Lyft there. Of course there are also the boats that are part of the Maritime Museum right by the cruise ship pier, or the USS Midway aircraft carrier museum which is at the next pier.

Edited by Splinter