Question on jacket/coat to pack for a cruise to a cold climate

mj_holiday

Costco sells packable down jackets. Good quality for the price. Also LL Bean sells packable down jackets and they happen to have a special 25% off before Thanksgiving sale going on. My hubby owns that one and he wears often. LL Bean is very good quality. 

The brand 32 Degrees makes a very lightweight jacket that was sold at Costco in past years.  90% down fill, very light and packs down to almost nothing.

Now, this is in no way a "winter" parka - it's good for temps into the 40s with no problem.  When you start getting toward freezing, then you'll want more thermal protection.

Unfortunately, it's not showing up on Costco's website, but it might be available in the stores.  I can also attest to items from Bean.

And, if course, much depends on your own metabolism and how you deal with "cold".  And what you are calling a "cold climate" cruise.  Compared to a tropical itinerary, a Baltic or Canadian cruise might be "cold".  Compared to Antarctica or Spitsbergen, you're thinking balmy.

YMMV.

For the gentlemen of the world I highly recommend jackets from Carthart.  They specialize in 'work clothing' however they produce reasonably warm jackets that are otherwise light weight.  I was given a black 'Ike' jacket years ago and have warn it through fall in Chicago to winter in Seoul Korea.   

5 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

Within the last couple of years there was discussion on coats that both pack well and are warm.  I am not having any luck searching for it.

so I would like to ask opinions on a good coat to take.

Do you have Uniqlo store near you? Good down coats, very lightweight and pack small, also low priced

Edited by cruiseluv