Military Discount

back-at-it

First time Celebrity cruiser and booked a Cruise with the Military Discount.  Know where has it asked for proof yet.  I called and they said I needed to take a Notarized copy of my DD-214 document.  Is this correct?  What has some of you veterans run across?   

Per the policy statement only active or retired members are permitted. I assume that means if you did not retire but still served you cannot get the OBC? Do you send in a copy of your DD214 to go into records? That is the way Princess does it and you get the discounts without having to produce DD214 each time. Where would you send your DD214 for validation for Celebrity?

28 minutes ago, Cruzinram said:

Per the policy statement only active or retired members are permitted. I assume that means if you did not retire but still served you cannot get the OBC? Do you send in a copy of your DD214 to go into records? That is the way Princess does it and you get the discounts without having to produce DD214 each time. Where would you send your DD214 for validation for Celebrity?

It's not an OBC. It's a Military discount off from the cruise fare. I only severed four years. Honorable discharge.  I have always received the Military discount.  Different program than on Princess. I've never submitted or have shown a copy of my DD214 to Celebrity, my TA or at the time of check-in. 

Edited by davekathy

I called the 888 number and talked to person, who happened to also be a Veteran, and they were the ones that told me to get a Notarized copy of the DD214.  I thought that was a little extreme, but I am will to do it just in case.  

Thank you for all the responses.  

Good questions !

I can only tell you my experience.

I am retired from active duty, 21 years US Army.

I have been on  3 previous cruises, 1 Holland America and 2 with Celebrity.

With Holland America I booked the cruise myself, online, to get my military discount I had to copy my DD 214 and attach it to a form that was on there website, it took a bit for them to process it but ib the end I got my discount.

My 2nd cruise was with Celebrity, I booked it through MWR at Fort Bragg and they just looked at my retired ID card, Celebrity asked for nothing and I got my discount.

My 3rd cruise is also with Celebrity, I booked through AAA and again, they asked for nothing, on my itinerary/receipt my discount was there.

So, I guess at some point, especially if its your first cruise you will have to show some sort of documentation to prove you are entitled to the discount.

I met a lot of veterans on cruises and some through Cruise Critic that didn't know they could get a discount.

in closing, I would like to make a statement to those who make comments regarding why military veterans should be entitled to a discount, all I can say is if you walked a mile in our shoes you would not make such comments.

Thank you ! 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, m8zenblue said:

Good questions !

I can only tell you my experience.

I am retired from active duty, 21 years US Army.

I have been on  3 previous cruises, 1 Holland America and 2 with Celebrity.

With Holland America I booked the cruise myself, online, to get my military discount I had to copy my DD 214 and attach it to a form that was on there website, it took a bit for them to process it but ib the end I got my discount.

My 2nd cruise was with Celebrity, I booked it through MWR at Fort Bragg and they just looked at my retired ID card, Celebrity asked for nothing and I got my discount.

My 3rd cruise is also with Celebrity, I booked through AAA and again, they asked for nothing, on my itinerary/receipt my discount was there.

So, I guess at some point, especially if its your first cruise you will have to show some sort of documentation to prove you are entitled to the discount.

I met a lot of veterans on cruises and some through Cruise Critic that didn't know they could get a discount.

in closing, I would like to make a statement to those who make comments regarding why military veterans should be entitled to a discount, all I can say is if you walked a mile in our shoes you would not make such comments.

Thank you ! 

Their opinions don't count or matter. Thank you for your service. 

Edited by davekathy

The military discount isn't just for last minute cruises.  I looked at a future cruise, new release, then asked my TA to book it for me.  It was $200 less than what I came up with -- I never thought the Mil Discount would be offered this far out, so didn't bother to check the box to compute the final price.  

7 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

The military discount isn't just for last minute cruises.  I looked at a future cruise, new release, then asked my TA to book it for me.  It was $200 less than what I came up with -- I never thought the Mil Discount would be offered this far out, so didn't bother to check the box to compute the final price.  

Agree. All our future Celebrity cruises for 2019 and 2020 were booked at least 18 months out and we received the military discount for all of them when booking them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

Agree. All our future Celebrity cruises for 2019 and 2020 were booked at least 18 months out and we received the military discount for all of them when booking them. 

It was only $200, but $200 is $200.  😄

Anyone who has already booked with Celebrity Cruise look at your itemized receipt, it will show, "Military Savings", yes, it's only $200, better than nothing.

Of you are a veteran, please check your daily bulletin for veteran's gathering in the Sky Lounge.

Thank you all for your service !

Just a comment on Notarization of DD-214 by a Notary.  

At least in California we can not notarize a  DD-214 or other government issued ID's and documents.  Their is a work around, that I can  notarize a Statement of Custodian of Document. Basically I swear in the person who has the DD0214 and notarize a statement that it is a true and correct copy.   The notarization is on a separate paper and is attached to the copy of the document. 

I also believe that you cannot notarize a dd214.  You normally must sign the document in the presence of the notary.  It is proof that you actually signed something. 

Having said all of that, I have never been asked for proof. The people that check you in are port contractors. They don’t care. 

The last Celebrity cruise that I looked at was a big $49 per person.  A few years ago, you would see the occasional huge military discount like $600. 

Hi there! Question for all of you that have used the military discount: when we have tried in the past, it has then nullified the associated “perks” (like the drinks package and OBC). Is this your experience as well? Because the perks have a higher value than the $200 discount, we have never chosen to use the discount. Am I doing something wrong when booking? 

I just booked a 4 night cruise in the Infinity on line.  They gave me the perks and $100 per night per person for the Military discount.  I checked with Celebrity customer service to see about the Police discount, as my wife would qualify for that, and they said it was less and would affect the perks.  He said the Military discount did not and was a bigger discount.  So I stayed with it.

1 hour ago, kpd21880 said:

Hi there! Question for all of you that have used the military discount: when we have tried in the past, it has then nullified the associated “perks” (like the drinks package and OBC). Is this your experience as well? Because the perks have a higher value than the $200 discount, we have never chosen to use the discount. Am I doing something wrong when booking? 

We had an AUS/NZ cruise that cost $6,000 and included 2 perks (Bev Package & Grats).  Ten months or so out they were offering the same category stateroom with the Military Discount for $3,800 without the perks.  For $2,200 we gave up the perks.  Later, after final payment, we were able to upgrade to Aqua Class with the perks for $1,000 (Military Discount).  

You have to accept the offer they have at the time -- some with the perks and some without the perks.