Transatlantic -- Cabin Selection

lahelwig

Although I understand the Atlantic weather may be unpredictable, can anyone who has done a transatlantic advise whether cabins on upper or lower decks would be advisable? We are looking at the last two interior accessible cabins for the Radiance in June 2020, one on deck 8 and the other on deck 1. Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, Micah's Grandad said:

We have done three TA's and generally find it too windy to use balcony most of the time so now doing either inside or o/v.

Agreed low down and mid ship gives less movement.

any reason you think it's windier than the Caribbean, colder maybe, but pretty sure the ship sails the same speed, we would never sail without a balcony.

• Like 1

Not all of the wind felt on the deck is from the ship's forward motion.  The surface wind can add or subtract from that depending on direction.  The wind speeds in the Atlantic are generally stronger than in the Caribbean, at least outside of tropical storms.

Seas will also be higher in the Atlantic, so ship motion is more likely to be felt.

I've crossed the Atlantic many times.  Sometimes the Atlantic is like a lake with barely a ripple and no wind and sometimes the ocean is angry.  It really is a crapshoot.  I do like my balconies though so for this trip I would snag a cove balcony on Deck 2 amidships.  You'll probably be under the galley (haven't seen the deck plans for this ship) so bring ear plugs.

1 minute ago, Cushing985 said:

I've crossed the Atlantic many times.  Sometimes the Atlantic is like a lake with barely a ripple and no wind and sometimes the ocean is angry.  It really is a crapshoot.  I do like my balconies though so for this trip I would snag a cove balcony on Deck 2 amidships.  You'll probably be under the galley (haven't seen the deck plans for this ship) so bring ear plugs.

Sorry...this is the "Sunshined" ship so no coves.  That being the case, I would go oceanview on Deck 1 amidships.

2 hours ago, coevan said:

any reason you think it's windier than the Caribbean, colder maybe, but pretty sure the ship sails the same speed, we would never sail without a balcony.

No clue, might have been cabin location or direct of wind but on several occasions decided it was often too windy to stay on balcony

2 hours ago, NebraskaSatellite said:

Not all of the wind felt on the deck is from the ship's forward motion.  The surface wind can add or subtract from that depending on direction.  The wind speeds in the Atlantic are generally stronger than in the Caribbean, at least outside of tropical storms.

Seas will also be higher in the Atlantic, so ship motion is more likely to be felt.

As a Captain for over 40 years, what? Yes, the rollers off shore will be bigger but also spaced further apart. However, wind speeds can vary in open ocean or the Caribbean Sea. I had a friend sailing back for the Azores had a full week of becalmed seas. 

Edited by coevan
sp

1 hour ago, Cruiserbarbie said:

We did a trans and water was very calm. Actually kept commenting how their was no difference between Carib and Atlanic but again, maybe we were lucky. Believe it was Nov. Hubby will not cruise w/o balcony, me, I'm never in the room.

Where is Rocky Point, Mexico?

We have done two crossings... a westbound on the Carnival Magic and an eastbound on the Regal Princess. Both were in staterooms on higher decks in the forward section and motion wasn’t bad. On the Regal, we had very smooth seas where the ocean was like glass but there are times it can be very rough when crossing the Atlantic.

Ps- it can get cold at night on a transatlantic cruise so pack accordingly.

Edited by xDisconnections