Cruising from Cape Liberty Cruise Port Aug 2019

edgwaremike

Our first time cruising from the New York area and I am confused by numerous aspects. (RCI Anthem)

We fly into Newark on Saturday evening and have booked a Manhattan Hotel (The Jewel) for  few days to view the sites.

• Plan to book a shared shuttle (8pm) so hopefully it will not be too long.
  • How to get to the port on cruise day, is it best to get a car to pick us up, if so who and should I book it this early.
  • On our return, we dock on a Saturday morning but do not fly back to the UK till late Sunday from Newark again, where should we stay, somewhere relatively safe with things to see and reasonable places to eat.Should I just go back to the Jewel or try a different area/hotel.
  • How best to get to that hotel.
  • Not knowing what time we will get off the ship, what time should I ask the car to collect us.

Appreciate any advice you experienced cruisers can offer us.

4 hours ago, edgwaremike said:

Our first time cruising from the New York area and I am confused by numerous aspects. (RCI Anthem)

We fly into Newark on Saturday evening and have booked a Manhattan Hotel (The Jewel) for  few days to view the sites.

• Plan to book a shared shuttle (8pm) so hopefully it will not be too long.
  • How to get to the port on cruise day, is it best to get a car to pick us up, if so who and should I book it this early.
  • On our return, we dock on a Saturday morning but do not fly back to the UK till late Sunday from Newark again, where should we stay, somewhere relatively safe with things to see and reasonable places to eat.Should I just go back to the Jewel or try a different area/hotel.
  • How best to get to that hotel.
  • Not knowing what time we will get off the ship, what time should I ask the car to collect us.

Appreciate any advice you experienced cruisers can offer us.

Personally I wouldn't use a shared shuttle such as SuperShuttle to get from EWR to Manhattan because for some reason in the NY City area the shared shuttle service is just generally pretty poor.  I would book a car service such as Carmel Limo www.carmellimo.com or Dial 7 www.dial7.com for  your transportation from EWR to Manhattan and from your hotel in Manhattan to Cape Liberty for your cruise. Even if you decide to stick with a shared shuttle from EWR to Manhattan by all means book one of these car services for your trip from Manhattan to Cape Liberty.

You might want to consider staying in Jersey City upon your return. There are several good hotels that would also be convenient to transportation to Manhattan via PATH, a subway-type train system that runs between New Jersey and Manhattan. Possibilities might be the Westin, Hyatt Regency and Courtyard by Marriott. Hopefully other posters more familiar with Jersey City than I am will chime in with suggestions. Again a car service such as the two I've mentioned can be booked to take you from the port to Jersey City, or elsewhere.

I'll let someone familiar with Anthem disembarkation procedures suggest a pick up time.

• Like 1

What exact date in August do you need a post cruise hotel?  What is your budget?  I agree with the suggestion to stay in Jersey City for that night. Room prices should be reasonable on a Sat - both business travel and tourist travel should be down at that time of year. PATH transportation to both midtown and downtown is good and you will significantly reduce your car service costs from the port and then back to the airport by staying in NJ. 

• Like 1

If you are flying BA from EWR Mike, just so you know, their check in desk doesn't open until 3.30pm as all their flights are late afternoon/evening. I know you said you've got a late flight, but just thought I'd say in case you try to check in early.

Simon

• Like 1

19 hours ago, edgwaremike said:

Just been offered the Candlewood Suites at a fair price. Seems near to the shopping centre, views of the skyline etc.

Due there on the 24th Aug 2019, one night stay.

Candlewood Suites is very well priced for your dates. On a weekend you can walk to the Newport PATH station for direct service via Hoboken to 33rd and 6th in midtown and walk to Exchange Place for direct service to World Trade. This gives you transportation flexibility. In addition when you disembark, you can get a shuttle from the Cape Liberty taxi dispatcher for $5-6/pp to the 34th St light rail station where you can take the light rail right to the hotel for $2.25/pp (half price if seniors)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I would stay in Elizabeth, NJ at Spring Hill Suites, Courtyard, Country Inn, or Residence Inn. They are across the street from Jersey Gardens Mall. When my family comes over from England, they always stay there as they can shop and it is tax free and a lot less dear than our American brands in England. My Mum and most of my family live in Bristol. Others live in West Sussex.

When are you sailing?

9 hours ago, counsdr said:

I would stay in Elizabeth, NJ at Spring Hill Suites, Courtyard, Country Inn, or Residence Inn. They are across the street from Jersey Gardens Mall. When my family comes over from England, they always stay there as they can shop and it is tax free and a lot less dear than our American brands in England. My Mum and most of my family live in Bristol. Others live in West Sussex.

When are you sailing?

Same comment as the other thread -

Hi there counsdr - I know we know each other, but I’ve forgotten your first name.  I need to be picky here.  Courtyard Elizabeth and Residence Inn are at the Jersey Gardens Mall.  Courtyard Newark and Springhill Suites are on the north side of the airport in an enclave that also includes Fairfield Inn and the new Home2Suites.  In order to bnear Jersey Gardens Mall, you must pick a hotel on International Blvd, Elizabeth.  “

22 hours ago, counsdr said:

When are you sailing?

How far is this from the port?

5 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

How far is this from the port?

Not very far. I made a mistake, Spring Hill Suites is not near Courtyard and Jersey Gardens. Embassy Suites is also near Jersey Gardens. Some of these hotels have park and cruise, but I don’t know which. Carol or Meg would know more than me!

19 hours ago, 138east said:

Same comment as the other thread -

Hi there counsdr - I know we know each other, but I’ve forgotten your first name.  I need to be picky here.  Courtyard Elizabeth and Residence Inn are at the Jersey Gardens Mall.  Courtyard Newark and Springhill Suites are on the north side of the airport in an enclave that also includes Fairfield Inn and the new Home2Suites.  In order to bnear Jersey Gardens Mall, you must pick a hotel on International Blvd, Elizabeth.  “

Hi Carol!!! We cruised together in February of 2010 on the Explorer! Meg was on our cruise as well as my roommate Karen from SC. This picture of me was taken on that cruise in Barbados. My name is Cheryl. Thanks for recognizing me, hope you are well!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I’m thinking of staying in Jersey City as opposed to Elizabeth pre cruise night.

My one reason is I think it might make a liquor store more accessible. I just want to insure I have my 2 bottles for carry on.

The hotels not near Jersey Gardens such as Hampton Inn, Spring Hill Inn, Fairfield Inn, seem to be less expensive. Are they in a bad area of Newark?

I'm looking for your thoughts and advice on this.

Thanks!

Cheryl - it looks like you’re sailing Aug 31, which is Labor Day Weekend.  That’s good news for hotel prices.  What time does your flight arrive?

What is your hotel budget?  If your budget accommodates and you arrive early enough, this would be a good opportunity to experience staying in Jersey City plus buying wine.  For my Feb cruise I got a great price for the Residence Inn and really enjoyed Jersey City despite the cold.

The hotels you mentioned are not in bad areas.  They are in areas without any kind of services, so absolutely no where to go and nothing to easily do.

Carol, I’m trying to keep my hotel at $150 or under, but this doesn’t seem possible with a refundable reservation. Perhaps because it’s Labor Day weekend, the reservations are higher? I don’t need to go anywhere except to buy my 2 bottles of wine. I must sound very needy for alcohol!!!

I arrive into EWR around 2 PM, and sail the next day. Meg said there’s a new Costco at the port, but Uber drivers don’t like to stop. I’ve thought about getting an Uber to Costco and then getting another Uber to the port.

Have you ever done the NE/Canada Cruise?

6 hours ago, counsdr said:

Carol, I’m trying to keep my hotel at $150 or under, but this doesn’t seem possible with a refundable reservation. Perhaps because it’s Labor Day weekend, the reservations are higher? I don’t need to go anywhere except to buy my 2 bottles of wine. I must sound very needy for alcohol!!!

I arrive into EWR around 2 PM, and sail the next day. Meg said there’s a new Costco at the port, but Uber drivers don’t like to stop. I’ve thought about getting an Uber to Costco and then getting another Uber to the port.

Have you ever done the NE/Canada Cruise?

Look at lastminutetravel.com for Country Inns at $117 plus tax cancellable, but you have to pay now.  I have used them for Country Inns - got a room that slept 6 people with a microwave and refrigerator!

The new Costco is not yet open, so no feedback on it yet.  Some of the hotels may sell wine, but I haven’t paid much attention to that.  Start another “wine” thread to see the current responses.

I live in NE and have never done a NE cruise.

7 hours ago, counsdr said:

Thanks Carol!

I will start a new wine thread! 

I will also look into the Last Minute Travel. Do you have any thoughts on that Country Inn? It gets some bad reviews.

Cheryl - your budget is very low for EWR for a refundable reservation.  Look on United.com at the Hilton EWR and Hilton Penn Station in downtown Newark.  Their refundable rates are just a bit more than $150 tax included.  Staying at Hilton Penn Station would solve your wine problem and the hotel is actually closer to Cape Liberty even though it is in downtown Newark.

I’m considering staying at Country Inns next winter again.  I’ve stayed there several times and have found it to be acceptable but not fancy.

• 1 month later...

The trip is well through the planning stage but I am still concerned as to -

• What time to book the cab on our return date. Not knowing what time they will give us to  disembark, ???
  • How do you know what time they will allow you off the ship as I do not want the car waiting ages for no reason.
  • Roughly, from departing the ship, how long should it take to get luggage, clear customs and get to the pick point (where ever that is) in time to meet the car.
  • Where do private car pick ups meet customers for their onward journey.

Look forward to some expert help as I am clueless.

4 minutes ago, edgwaremike said:

The trip is well through the planning stage but I am still concerned as to -

• What time to book the cab on our return date. Not knowing what time they will give us to  disembark, ???
  • How do you know what time they will allow you off the ship as I do not want the car waiting ages for no reason.
  • Roughly, from departing the ship, how long should it take to get luggage, clear customs and get to the pick point (where ever that is) in time to meet the car.
  • Where do private car pick ups meet customers for their onward journey.

Look forward to some expert help as I am clueless.

It looks like you might be staying at Candelwood Suites in Jersey City.  I would just go to the Taxi Dispatcher at Cape Liberty and get a cab when you get off the ship.  This would remove all the angst of trying to plan your disembarkation times down to the minute. Uber would be another option.

FYI Candlewood Suites is 1 block from the Harborside Light Rail Station.  Cab to the 34th St Station in Bayonne would be $5-6/pp and accessible light rail to Harborside is $2.25/pp.  If you can roll your luggage, I would consider this option.  I always use the light rail to get to the PATH train to either Newark or Midtown NYC.

• Thanks 1