Complete check in process early and the upgrade fairy may contact you

Jared100

I had completed most of my check in process for my cruise this  Sunday on the Liberty (4 days), but did not fill out the passport info until last night.

well low and behold I woke up this morning to an email from an agent telling me to call ASAP regarding an upgrade offer, and when I got ahold of him this afternoon he was able to upgrade me from my interior cabin to a 6B ocean view for only $50 total! 

I am thinking that they can’t offer you any upgrades until your completely checked in so make sure to get that done and don’t wait like me! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jared100 said:

I had completed most of my check in process for my cruise this  Sunday on the Liberty (4 days), but did not fill out the passport info until last night.

well low and behold I woke up this morning to an email from an agent telling me to call ASAP regarding an upgrade offer, and when I got ahold of him this afternoon he was able to upgrade me from my interior cabin to a 6B ocean view for only $50 total! 

I am thinking that they can’t offer you any upgrades until your completely checked in so make sure to get that done and don’t wait like me! 

The trick for me has been to print boarding passes and luggage tags.  Murphy’s Law kicks in and an upsell offer creates wasted time and printer ink.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jared100 said:

We were offered and took an upgrade before we finished the check in process! (Still waiting for my passport to arrive)

39 minutes ago, Jared100 said:

I think that is just a coincidence. I have gotten numerous upsell offers, with all but  one of them being offered prior to completing check-in. Not sure why they keep offering them to me, I have only accepted one of them ($100 to go from an interior to a balcony on a 3 day cruise). 

Darn, I always check in early. Well I'm a huge planner, since that's a BIG part of my total vacation experience!  📝🤗.  I actually counted and this next cruise I'm going on is my nineteenth, yet not a one Upsell Fairy on Carnival or RCCL. 

I don't have a clue as to why some folks get offers and some never do. So, I just book the cabin I want. But little magic fairy, IF you ever want to shock the *hi* out of me .....😅

🌸🌸. Bobbi 

We don't check in until November 25th and we got an upsell offer for a suite from a balcony on deck 11.  I'm pretty sure that the only way you are going to get an offer is if they have customers that want to be in the cabin you have booked.  They will offer you what they consider a deal hoping that you will take it so that they can resell your cabin.  In our case, it wasn't a deal.  Sixty dollars less than what we could have booked the suite for originally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

We don't check in until November 25th and we got an upsell offer for a suite from a balcony on deck 11.  I'm pretty sure that the only way you are going to get an offer is if they have customers that want to be in the cabin you have booked.  They will offer you what they consider a deal hoping that you will take it so that they can resell your cabin.  In our case, it wasn't a deal.  Sixty dollars less than what we could have booked the suite for originally.

In the last few months I have received upsells from a balcony to a suite for two separate cruises. Both times it was exactly  $60 less than if I booked it online that same day. I guess a $60 reduction is a common amount, although not nearly enough for me to accept an upsell. 

I have gotted upsell calls on cruises I have neither paid in full or started the check in process.  It is always about the stateroom location, the category or the stateroom itself, nothing else.  Most common are people in a connecting stateroom that aren't "connected" to the connecting stateroom or an interior across from a balcony wanted for kids.  

I have been on over 20 cruises with CCL - in everything from interior to wrap around balconies & have never received an upsell call or email.  Not sure why - guess no one wanted the cabin I had booked??? 

I haven't heard of a lot of great deals lately, but I'd sure like the chance to decide whether to take one or not.

17 hours ago, Jared100 said:

I've gotten an UPSELL offer and my check-in hasn't even opened for the cruise in May. Inside to Ocean View for about $100 (don't remember) wasn't leaving the Lido deck though.

8 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

i was just gonna post this.   My check in date is Nov 26   nothing is done on my account.   Final payment is not even paid and we were offered upgrades twice. 

Im 2/2 on 2 different lines (this and and RC).

I think this is more of a true upgrade fairy (at a small cost) then upsell as it is last minute vs people who get offers to bump up a long way out. Those offers tend to not be as good, where as last minute offers seem to be legitimately good deals. My prior offer on RC was inside to balcony for $100 on a 3 day, and i received it a few days out similar to this one.

For this one, i think inside to OV for $50 is fantastic, even if im still only on the first deck.

I don't know why i have received these offers while those on 20+ cruises have never gotten one. It may be because i have booked interior both times, while others already book balconys. Others have mentioned the interior rooms are needed, which may be true, im not sure, but i also think it could relate to me only sailing on 1-2 prior Carnival cruises, and maybe they are targeting these gold members and trying to get them to stay with Carnival in this rapidly competitive market. 

I couldn't believe it last November when we were in our hotel room and my friend got a call with a 305 area code.  I told him to answer it.  I knew it was Florida.  We got upgraded from an inside cabin to a balcony cabin.  For Free!!!  I was surprised as I thought those days were long gone.  We ran into two other people who also got upgraded from inside to balcony while driving to the port.  

Candi

5 hours ago, candigirl41 said:

I couldn't believe it last November when we were in our hotel room and my friend got a call with a 305 area code.  I told him to answer it.  I knew it was Florida.  We got upgraded from an inside cabin to a balcony cabin.  For Free!!!  I was surprised as I thought those days were long gone.  We ran into two other people who also got upgraded from inside to balcony while driving to the port.  

Candi

If you went by your original cabin, you would have seen maintenance crews at work.  You weren't upgraded as a special favor.

Its mostly the cabin you have  to getting an upgrade. I had an unusual one last time I cruised. I had an interior that slept 4, ceiling bunk beds. I got a text while i was on the ship asking if i would move to an ocean view for free. I was sailing solo. I accepted and later went back to my old room and there were a party of four where one member was a worker in the embarkation center. Said the way they get a free cruise is they wait until the last minute to see if any open rooms are available or if people on the boat will move from their rooms. they actually wait with luggage not knowing if they will get on the cruise or not. Guess they have to have a lot of flexibility but I noticed a lot of those workers are retired and working part time. 

If you eat carrots you may get an call from the fairy. That is to say it does not matter what you do, it matters what are the business needs of company. If they have a fish on the line that wants your cabin, they might offer you an upgrade to make the sale.