Are we Crazy?

FunInTheSun9

We will be in port for the day in Papeete, and we are planning on taking the Aremeti ferry over to Moorea for a tour. Problem is: It is on a Sunday and the ferry's don't run as often, so our tour will not return to the Moorea/Viare ferry dock until just before the last ferry departs at 6:45pm. Are we crazy for depending upon making the last ferry to return to Papeete? Does the last ferry ever cancel? The ship continues to Bora Bora at 10pm, so as long as the ferry is running we should make the ship. The worst case is we'll have to fly to BB to catch the ship should there be any ferry problems. Is there a high risk here?

The Moorea driver who is picking us up at the HIlton and dropping off at the ferry told us not to arrive at the Terevau ferry less than 30 min prior departure. He said the Terevau ferry is generally on time but has been known to leave early or late.

Terevau has a ferry most days around 8:10am. Why not just head over to Moorea earlier in the morning and wind up your tour earlier? I know I could not take the stress of wondering if I'd make it cutting it so close. Good wishes to you.

Looks like the ferry schedules have changed. Our ship arrives in Papeete at 10am, so we can't take the earlier ferry - would have been nice. Our trip is in May of 2020 (on a Sunday), so I guess we'll have to keep an eye on the schedules and see if this remains possible as we near the date. As it stands now we'll have to take the Terevau 3:05pm Papeete to Moorea ferry, tour for 3 hours, then take the 6:45pm Aremiti2 ferry back to Papeete. Super tight.   ...Would hate to miss Moorea, but if the schedule doesn't improve we may have to stay on Papeete for the day. We are planning a 4x4 Jeep tour with Safari Mario on Moorea. Maybe there is something similar on Tahiti?

We are not permitted to recommend a tour we've not been on ourselves but since two of my friends did a jeep tour from Papeete and LOVED it I'm going to jump in there. It's Tahiti Discovery in Papeete. They raved about the guides and the things that saw. We are visiting Moorea twice on our cruise on a b2b, so on our full day in Papeete we hired a transport company to take us to the Hilton for the day. This transport company is called Torea Transports  very reasonable and you can find both of these on Tripadvisor) They will also do custom tours of the interior of the island. Might be able to make it work with your Moorea ferry schedule.

• 3 weeks later...

Funinthesun,

We did the Terevau Ferry a few days ago and the schedule  was very “loose”. We weren’t able to board till about 10 min after predicted boarding time Tahiti-Moorea. And did not leave till a good 30 min later. It was again about 30 min late on the return. I’d not plan a tight schedule around the ferry but take a ferry at least 1.5 hrs earlier than you need on the return. It would make me very nervous otherwise.

Edited by Petoonya

• 6 months later...
On 11/22/2018 at 12:16 PM, FunInTheSun9 said:

Looks like the ferry schedules have changed. Our ship arrives in Papeete at 10am, so we can't take the earlier ferry - would have been nice. Our trip is in May of 2020 (on a Sunday), so I guess we'll have to keep an eye on the schedules and see if this remains possible as we near the date. As it stands now we'll have to take the Terevau 3:05pm Papeete to Moorea ferry, tour for 3 hours, then take the 6:45pm Aremiti2 ferry back to Papeete. Super tight.   ...Would hate to miss Moorea, but if the schedule doesn't improve we may have to stay on Papeete for the day. We are planning a 4x4 Jeep tour with Safari Mario on Moorea. Maybe there is something similar on Tahiti?

Just a big FYI for you regarding this.  The ship doesn't always get into Moorea after Papeete.  In Feb. this year, the weather was terrible and we didn't go to Moorea, stranding about 40 ish people on the island that had done the overnite tour.  The ones that did that tour through the ship were flown to Bora Bora a couple days later to meet the ship.  Some people went to Moorea by themselves and spent the nite...and then had to get themselves to Bora Bora to meet the ship.   Just keep that in mind, that the ship may not be able to stop in Moorea in case you got stuck there due to the ferry.

Linda R.