Gifts for photographers 2018

havoc315

Thought I would start a thread to keep an eye on the best Black Friday deals and discuss holiday shopping..

To get things started, my own gift suggestions for photographers in all price ranges:

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2018/11/17/holiday-gifts-for-photographers/

They discount the A6000 every year... Hard to get too excited at this point about a 5-year-old camera for $450 (kit lens only)/ $600 (two lens kit). Canon T6 has a two-lens deal for $500.  NIkon D3400 has two-lens deal for $550. Though all 3 cameras are $450 with single kit lens. (And the Nikon D3500 is $500 but it's practically the same camera as the D3400). Canon SL2 is $550 and may be cheaper for the holiday. etc, etc.

Basically... the $450 to $550 price point for aps-c camera + lens is now a pretty crowded market.

The A6000 is practically the oldest camera on that playing field: while still a capable camera, it lacks some features that are standard among entry level models (such as a touch screen) and/or standard in Sony mirrorless cameras (such as eye-af which is extremely rudimentary on the a6000)..

Just adding, my assessment of Canon, Nikon and Sony cameras purely in terms of pricing and value: 

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2018/11/21/camera-prices-for-2018-holidays/

Some on this board may disagree, but I find the A6300/A6500 a bit overpriced for the current market. The A6000 is well priced but it's getting so old it's hard to consider it a "value"

But there are plenty of value cameras to be had. At the low end, you really can't go wrong between $400 and $600. At the high end, the Sony A7riii and A9 offer amazing value for the holidays. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, havoc315 said:

Just adding, my assessment of Canon, Nikon and Sony cameras purely in terms of pricing and value: 

Some on this board may disagree, but I find the A6300/A6500 a bit overpriced for the current market. The A6000 is well priced but it's getting so old it's hard to consider it a "value"

But there are plenty of value cameras to be had. At the low end, you really can't go wrong between $400 and $600. At the high end, the Sony A7riii and A9 offer amazing value for the holidays. 

Nice article and fair...except for your unhealthy obsession with trying to make cameras into fat phones with the gimmicky touch screens! 😉

Seriously though, fair and concise.

Dave

On 11/21/2018 at 6:04 PM, havoc315 said:

Thanks, great article.