RENFE help, please!

roothy123

I am traveling from Barcelona to Madrid after our cruise.  I just bought the tickets, and printed them out.  However, I'm not sure what I need to do when I get to the train station.  Do I just hop on the train with them (and my luggage) and find a vacant seat in the "coche 7" or what?  I read somewhere that first time purchasers might have to go to the train station windows first for some reason.  Is that true, or since I paid with PayPal online and received a ticket with barcode, do I simply get on the train?  I booked on an AVE train, turista, promo.  It says "Plaza 14B" - is that a location?

Edited by roothy123

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone.  Yes, my ticket looks like the one above.  Didn't know about getting there early for security check at platform for AVE train, thanks. Looked at seat61.  Didlydi, I believe there are racks above seats for luggage, and occasional spaces between seats.  We plan to travel somewhat lighter than usual, so I think we'll be OK.  I'm a little wary of luggage theft on Italian trains just because I've heard stories, but if necessary, I'll just get up when the train approaches a station.  I think there's only one stop before Civi, and then Civi, so it shouldn't be bad. 

12 hours ago, roothy123 said:

Thanks, everyone.  Yes, my ticket looks like the one above.  Didn't know about getting there early for security check at platform for AVE train, thanks. Looked at seat61.  Didlydi, I believe there are racks above seats for luggage, and occasional spaces between seats.  We plan to travel somewhat lighter than usual, so I think we'll be OK.  I'm a little wary of luggage theft on Italian trains just because I've heard stories, but if necessary, I'll just get up when the train approaches a station.  I think there's only one stop before Civi, and then Civi, so it shouldn't be bad. 

@roothy123 Italian trains? Civitivecchia?  I thought you were asking about RENFE and Barcelona to Madrid trains?

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

@roothy123 Italian trains? Civitivecchia?  I thought you were asking about RENFE and Barcelona to Madrid trains?

Oh sorry, I WAS asking about Renfe trains.  But I will be taking Trenitalia from Rome to  Civitavecchia (IC or regional train) so had that trip on my mind when I replied. 

Regarding my comment on luggage, please disregard that, as that may only be true on Italian trains, not RENFE.

1 hour ago, roothy123 said:

Oh sorry, I WAS asking about Renfe trains.  But I will be taking Trenitalia from Rome to  Civitavecchia (IC or regional train) so had that trip on my mind when I replied. 

Regarding my comment on luggage, please disregard that, as that may only be true on Italian trains, not RENFE.

That is what I thought happened, but just wanted to be sure (to be sure!).

RENFE trains (AVE) have good luggage space.

6 hours ago, roothy123 said:

I have used local trains on all my European cruises and I bring a bicycle cable lock to tie our luggage together and to the rack.  Even if there’s no rack it would be difficult to run off with 2 pieces of luggage that are tied together. I bought them at Ross for $5.

On 12/7/2018 at 8:05 PM, lamchops said:

I have used local trains on all my European cruises and I bring a bicycle cable lock to tie our luggage together and to the rack.  Even if there’s no rack it would be difficult to run off with 2 pieces of luggage that are tied together. I bought them at Ross for $5.

I also use the cable locks - inexpensive security. 😊

• 3 weeks later...

It seems to me that getting up at each stop and staring at your bags is a sure sign to any thieves that there's something in them worth stealing. Much better to use a cable lock to tie them to the rack, then ignore them.

Edited by Langoustine
  • Like 1