Oriana v Ventura

Dorset cruise fan

I have been looking at a cruise on Oriana next summer around the British Isles but the prices are sky high.  The only alternative that we like the look of at similar time is Ventura to Iceland. However I'm mot that keen on the idea of Ventura. Please can any tell me if we will have as good an experience on Ventura, given that we tend to like going to the guest speaker talks, catching up with films that we may have missed at the cinema and particularly enjoy the Syndicate quiz.

Having spent five weeks on Ventura earlier this year we would probably not cruise on her again!  Compared to Oriana she seems very crowded and noisy, we struggled to find somewhere to sit on the open decks....we found cleanliness to be an issue in some of the public areas especially the indoor pool area.

It was also a long walk from one end of the ship to the other so best to get a mid ship cabin should you decide to go on her! We were forward so had to walk the length of the ship for the buffet and dining...then after dinner again had to walk the length of the ship for the theatre!!! I did not gain any weight!!

We much prefer the adults only Oriana and will be spending Christmas on her....you get what you pay for I suppose but keep an eye on prices as we paid the same for Christmas as we did two years ago and we only bought it a month ago!

It's been a couple a years since I've been on Ventura, but only a few months since Oriana. 

Oriana has a dedicated cinema with proper cinema style seats and they have a different film on daily (certainly sea days).  If memory serves me right films, on Ventura are shown in the either the theatre or the Tamarind lounge.  The seating in Tamarind is fine for a show, but not necessarily good when you're watching a movie for 1.5 - 2 hours.

Oriana doesn't have a poolside burger bar and pizzeria, but it does have Al Fresco which is a sort of bistro ish self serve/takeaway snacks place.  Quite small though and you may have to wait for a table.

Bear in mind as well that Oriana is adult only and Ventura is a family ship.

Our next cruise is on Oriana, but the next one after that will be Ventura.  

Thank you for your helpful replies. We haven't been on anything bigger than Arcadia so far, the cruise we are looking at isn't in school holidays so hopefully not too many children on board and a covered pool would be nice as it's going north. I think I will just have to keep an eye on the prices and decide nearer the time.

Ventura

• Big ship with lots to do; you don't like the theatre show, then there are the two show bars
  • Films are shown in the theatre or bars with abysmal projection because the equipment isn't specifically designed for it
  • Can attract a younger/louder/more boisterous customer base, but probably not so much on an Iceland cruise
  • As it is a big ship, can't dock in the places a smaller ship like Oriana can, so more walking or buses

Oriana

• Small ship with less to do; if you don't like the theatre show then tough
  • Films are shown in a decent(ish) purpose built cinema. Not as good as a real cinema, but head and shoulders above the poor attempts on Ventura. Only issue are the seat reservers who stalk the cinema and will be in their seats an hour before show time.
  • Customer base is 'God's waiting room' and this seems to drive the type of show and entertainment - they seem to think everyone is interested in a 'Songs from the war' show or 1970s 'comedians' who you thought had given up but were still using the same material.
  • Old ship and lots of stuff frequently broken - public toilets out of service for whole cruises.

It’s a myth that Ventura cannot get into ports that Oriana can get into. I know of only one and that is La Gomera. The problem there is the wind. 

In fact Britannia can get into all the ports as well.

You have to go down in size to the likes of Adonia to get into the small ports that even Oriana can’t get into.

7 hours ago, picsa said:

Ventura

• Big ship with lots to do; you don't like the theatre show, then there are the two show bars
  • Films are shown in the theatre or bars with abysmal projection because the equipment isn't specifically designed for it
  • Can attract a younger/louder/more boisterous customer base, but probably not so much on an Iceland cruise
  • As it is a big ship, can't dock in the places a smaller ship like Oriana can, so more walking or buses

Oriana

• Films are shown in a decent(ish) purpose built cinema. Not as good as a real cinema, but head and shoulders above the poor attempts on Ventura. Only issue are the seat reservers who stalk the cinema and will be in their seats an hour before show time.
  • Customer base is 'God's waiting room' and this seems to drive the type of show and entertainment - they seem to think everyone is interested in a 'Songs from the war' show or 1970s 'comedians' who you thought had given up but were still using the same material.
  • Old ship and lots of stuff frequently broken - public toilets out of service for whole cruises.

Can't agree with your comments on Oriana

• As well as the theatre, there is the Pacific Lounge, Lord's Tavern and Crow's Nest, all of which have entertainment at different times.
  • Personally never had a problem getting a seat in the Cinema.
  • I'm not yet 60 - so definitely don't feel like I am in God's Waiting Room and I've never felt especially old when sailing on her.  Shows I have seen include the Motown-themed show, New Romantics and Abba-themed show.
  • I must have been lucky as I've never experienced lots of stuff frequently broken.  I have seen the odd public toilet out of action but usually just one cubicle or urinal, with alternatives available.

Ventura would be able to dock in most of the places that Oriana can.  The only problem can be the wind - Ventura's bigger profile could be more problematic in high winds. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Britboys said:

Can't agree with your comments on Oriana

• As well as the theatre, there is the Pacific Lounge, Lord's Tavern and Crow's Nest, all of which have entertainment at different times.
  • Personally never had a problem getting a seat in the Cinema.
  • I'm not yet 60 - so definitely don't feel like I am in God's Waiting Room and I've never felt especially old when sailing on her.  Shows I have seen include the Motown-themed show, New Romantics and Abba-themed show.
  • I must have been lucky as I've never experienced lots of stuff frequently broken.  I have seen the odd public toilet out of action but usually just one cubicle or urinal, with alternatives available.

Ventura would be able to dock in most of the places that Oriana can.  The only problem can be the wind - Ventura's bigger profile could be more problematic in high winds. 

Fair enough, but can't agree with yours either.

Ventura has two big shows every night, plus musicians playing in the bars. Oriana has one show, plus plus musicians playing in the bars. That makes a big difference when the one Oriana show is not of interest.

As for the ages of the customers on Oriana you really didn't notice? 

You might be happy that every public toilet you go in has a bin bag over one or two of the urinals and a cubical out of action, but to me that is pretty shabby and not something I have ever noticed on Ventura to anywhere near the same level.

15 hours ago, picsa said:

Fair enough, but can't agree with yours either.

Ventura has two big shows every night, plus musicians playing in the bars. Oriana has one show, plus plus musicians playing in the bars. That makes a big difference when the one Oriana show is not of interest.

As for the ages of the customers on Oriana you really didn't notice? 

You might be happy that every public toilet you go in has a bin bag over one or two of the urinals and a cubical out of action, but to me that is pretty shabby and not something I have ever noticed on Ventura to anywhere near the same level.

We've obviously had very different experiences of Oriana.

On 11/21/2018 at 4:06 PM, daiB said:

It’s a myth that Ventura cannot get into ports that Oriana can get into. I know of only one and that is La Gomera. The problem there is the wind. 

In fact Britannia can get into all the ports as well.

You have to go down in size to the likes of Adonia to get into the small ports that even Oriana can’t get into.

I didn't say it couldn't get in but it couldn't dock in the same places, so they have a habit of parking it in the back of beyond in some ports so more walking or needing to use a shuttle bus.

4 minutes ago, picsa said:

I didn't say it couldn't get in but it couldn't dock in the same places, so they have a habit of parking it in the back of beyond in some ports so more walking or needing to use a shuttle bus.

Thate not quite true either. Ships which berth in the same ports on a regular basis get the best berth. Ships which go to a port only occasionally tend to get the worst berths when there is a number of ships in that city. It happens to Ventura and Oriana in the Caribbean when on their once a year transatlantic cruise. Size has nothing to do with it.

1 hour ago, picsa said:

Docking in the back of beyond is more normally associated with some large ports, like Stockholm,, or some like Dubrovnik where smaller ships can anchor near the town, but then you have to go ashore in tenders with all the queuing that entails, and which precludes full time wheelchair users. So there are negatives even for these ports.

Cruised mainly on Ventura and Azura - very little real difference between them in reality, and to be fair I'd happily sail on both.  Never had any problems with either of them (though I do take on board the lack of a proper cinema) and we've got various further cruises booked on them already.

Big fans of aft suites, though, and I'm not sure we could get anything similar on Oriana or any of the older ships.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2018 at 1:42 PM, picsa said:

Ventura

Oriana

Dont agree with your Oriana comments at all.

-There is lots to do if you dont like the Theatre production. Other acts play in other venues. There is another show lounge plus there are quizzes on etc.

-The cinema is gorgeous. Better than our local cinema, in fact. Plus never had trouble getting a seat and never saw seat hoggers either. It was always very quiet, except for the Greatest Showman.

-Gods waiting room? Sure, there were old folk on board, but there were plenty of younger ones on too. We had an Adele tribute act for one, which I dont think is aimed at 'Old' people. Also a Derren Brown type guy.....to name but two.

-I dont think I came across a single thing that was broken. I saw one set of public toilets closed for deep cleaning once becuase they werent able to do it during the wee hours, but other than that, nothing not working.

Im in my 50s and loved this ship. My favourite out of all the ones Ive been on.

• Like 1

I have done the British Isles cruise with Princess.  Caribbean Princess and Pacific Princess.  2019 Princess are running a series of British Isles circumnavigations, yet again with slight variations and balconies are as cheap as £2000 on some sailings.  If you like smaller ships Pacific Princess has around 670 passengers capacity but does a shorter cruise ex Dover.  Crown Princess is of a more or less identical build to Azura/Ventura.  Prices on these cruises sometimes plummet particularly on Princess nearer sailing date and flights from US to UK increase nearer sailing date which is the main reason for the drop in my opinion.

Regards John

Thanks for the information John.  I've previously read cruise reviews of the round Britain cruise on the Princess forum and they always look lovely and have a great time. I have just had a look at their itineraries for next summer, they are fine but I think the Oriana one fired my imagination, going as it does to the Faroes and the Shetlands as well as the Orkneys.  It was visiting the Faroes that made me start looking at the Ventura cruise and we would like to go to Iceland at some point.  But would like to sail on Oriana before she goes, oh decisions, decisions.  The headline prices between the 2 don't look much different but as soon as you look at on ocean view or above the difference is vast. Perversely the Oriana cruise to Iceland is more reasonable but we can't do the dates and the itinerary isn't as nice - no overnight in Reykavik.  maybe we should just overcome our suspicion of the big ships and book Ventura and see if we like it.  Our daughter is at Queens in Belfast and we could call in to see her. If this happens (obviously we would phone P&O to check but advice welcome) do you think we could bring home a load of her stuff, leaving her able to fly home and us not having to take the ferry over to clear out her room?