CRUISING OUT OF THE BIG APPLE!

Lois R

Hi friends, just booked a cruise sailing out of Manhattan:classic_biggrin:....going in April on Azamara...…I will keep an eye out for weather the closer I get to sailing but am just excited about it. I will go see a show pre-cruise and I am sure black slacks will be just fine.  Hopefully I won't be going into a late winter storm LOL...….booked my flights already and I will get insurance so that would  help if needed. Now I need to book a hotel. Oh, the cruise goes to Bermuda and down the east coast to Charleston...…..for 11 hights:classic_biggrin: and I need to decide what show to see on Broadway too...…..have any of you seen Hamilton? And they are doing My Fair Lady again...…...one of my most favorite musicals ever!

Hope all you fashionistas are doing well on here!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi friends, just booked a cruise sailing out of Manhattan:classic_biggrin:....going in April on Azamara...…I will keep an eye out for weather the closer I get to sailing but am just excited about it. I will go see a show pre-cruise and I am sure black slacks will be just fine.  Hopefully I won't be going into a late winter storm LOL...….booked my flights already and I will get insurance so that would  help if needed. Now I need to book a hotel. Oh, the cruise goes to Bermuda and down the east coast to Charleston...…..for 11 hights:classic_biggrin: and I need to decide what show to see on Broadway too...…..have any of you seen Hamilton? And they are doing My Fair Lady again...…...one of my most favorite musicals ever!

If you have not been to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, I think that you might enjoy it.  

Hi,:classic_biggrin: my flight arrives at 1:30pm....by the time I get to the hotel (haven't booked one yet) not sure how much time I will have to do it...…..I want to go to Ground Zero though and if possible have the time for that museum.

Hi Lois, so excited for you-cruise sounds like a great choice. I saw Hamilton in September  in Minneapolis-the traveling Broadway production. They were in Minni for 2weeks and it was a sellout. There is a learning curve in order to fully understand and follow the play. I did some reading on Hamilton’s life and listened to the soundtrack prior to seeing the play. I was very glad I did.  The production was amazing. 

There are most likely many plays to consider and it may come down to ticket availability and compatibility with your other plans. 

I wore black slacks and a dressier top and a silk scarf to accessorize. I fit right in although I  did see a few formals too. This production was at the Orpheum, a beautiful older downtown theater.

Funny you your should mention My Fair Lady, I saw that one many years ago-my first Broadway play and I will never forget that experience. Going to see Disney’s Lion King in a few weeks-I’ve waited a long time to see this one! Finally performing in our city!  

Good of luck with your plans and I hope you let us know how it turns out. 

Sharon

Hi Sharon:classic_biggrin:....did you know PRETTY WOMAN is now on Broadway? I have probably seen the movie 100 times LOL...….

Need to find a hotel...….there are so many choices in the city!!!!!! OMG...….where to stay? Times Square? Lower Eastside, Upper? Mid town? LOL...….I will use Trip Advisor as the reviews on there are normally pretty honest.

We love to visit NYC and have gone many times over the past 15 years or so. Normally we stay in an Affinia property (we love having a fridge for craft beer and leftovers 😉 Last year we stayed in The Library which was amazing! Tiny rooms but perfect service, including breakfast and an afternoon wine & cheese happy hour! And the rooms, while tiny, were so well arranged! Right by the NYPublic Library, Grand Central Terminus, Bryant Park - easy to walk or get multiple subway lines.

We did Azamara in 2016 in Asia - I loved it! We love the R class ships and the itinerary was wonderful for us. We pretty much always eat in the main dining room and I found the food lovely (included drinks always nice - I never had a problem finding wine I liked) and the country club casual was the perfect dress code for us. I hope you have a fabulous time!!!

51 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

We love to visit NYC and have gone many times over the past 15 years or so. Normally we stay in an Affinia property (we love having a fridge for craft beer and leftovers 😉 Last year we stayed in The Library which was amazing! Tiny rooms but perfect service, including breakfast and an afternoon wine & cheese happy hour! And the rooms, while tiny, were so well arranged! Right by the NYPublic Library, Grand Central Terminus, Bryant Park - easy to walk or get multiple subway lines.

We did Azamara in 2016 in Asia - I loved it! We love the R class ships and the itinerary was wonderful for us. We pretty much always eat in the main dining room and I found the food lovely (included drinks always nice - I never had a problem finding wine I liked) and the country club casual was the perfect dress code for us. I hope you have a fabulous time!!!

Hi, thanks for your thoughts...….how far is Broadway from where you stayed? I want to go to a show......I know I can grab a cab but just wondering how far away the hotel is from that area?

The Library is on 41st St between Park and 5th I think. Broadway theaters will be northwest of there, 50s and Broadway. So maybe 15-20 minute walk? I would never stay in Times Square - too busy for me personally, and a little too touristy.

The Affinia we liked best was Murray Hill but that's been sold now :-( Affinia 50 is on East 50 by 3rd Ave and that's not a bad location for us.

Generally we pick out the main things we'll be doing during a trip and make sure we can do that easily from out hotel, usually walking or Subway. 

I couldn't get local Hamilton tickets for the touring show, so we're going to see it in Chicago in December :-) I decided we could get better and cheaper Tix in Chicago over NYC and I haven't toured Chicago in years....They have a Christmas market - I can't wait :-)

16 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

The Library is on 41st St between Park and 5th I think. Broadway theaters will be northwest of there, 50s and Broadway. So maybe 15-20 minute walk? I would never stay in Times Square - too busy for me personally, and a little too touristy.

The Affinia we liked best was Murray Hill but that's been sold now :-( Affinia 50 is on East 50 by 3rd Ave and that's not a bad location for us.

Generally we pick out the main things we'll be doing during a trip and make sure we can do that easily from out hotel, usually walking or Subway. 

I couldn't get local Hamilton tickets for the touring show, so we're going to see it in Chicago in December :-) I decided we could get better and cheaper Tix in Chicago over NYC and I haven't toured Chicago in years....They have a Christmas market - I can't wait :-)

Normally I would do the same (about picking a location) but to be totally honest, my flight arrives at 1:30pm...…..not even sure how long it will take me to get to the hotel, (whichever I choose)…...I know I want to see a show.....if I cannot walk it, I will grab a cab...…...and for the daytime? All I really want to do is Ground Zero and the Museum that goes with it...….might sound morbid to some but I have not been up there since before 9/11...…….I want to see it.

I recommend leaving plenty of time for your visit to Ground Zero because it can be crowded. Museum tickets are timed admission and it is best to buy them ahead of time online if your schedule that day is tight, or just to save yourself the time of waiting in line for tickets.

Friends who've seen Hamilton recommend listening to the soundtrack and/or youtube to familiarize yourself with the lyrics. They say it makes it easier to understand the play. I live here and I haven't seen it yet! The tickets are quite expensive and I am cheap. 🙂 It is fun to dress up for theater but you will see people in everything from jeans and hoodies to sparkly dresses and high heels. Pretty much anything goes. Many residents come from work in their business wear because it's time-consuming to go home and change and come back to midtown.

April is usually a great month to visit. We are normally past winter by then, but the days can vary between brisk and rainy in the 40s to sunny and pleasant in the high 60s, so bring layers and a raincoat. Spring is my favorite season here.

Taxi or Uber can save your feet, but traffic here has become terrible. Just terrible. I am a subway person myself when I am in Manhattan.

You can sometimes get a good deal on the New York Hilton Midtown, which is one long block from Times Square and not too far from the theaters. It's not fancy but very convenient to so many things, shopping on 5th, the MoMA, some very fine restaurants.... My sister-in-law also got a great deal at the Park Lane on Central Park South, another really nice location.

• 3 months later...
On 11/18/2018 at 9:30 AM, Lois R said:

Hi Lois, congrats! I just wanted to say we were in NY city in April 2015 and it was cold like winter to us. I am sure Bermuda will be warmer though but bring something warm for NY, just in case. the only other thing is sea sickness. It was awful for me leaving from NY. Usually ginger does the thing but leaving and returning I need bonine for  NY ports. Dramine makes me sleep like a drunk.

Hi,:classic_smile: I never get sea sick and have sailed out of New Jersey multiple times before so I am sure sailing out of Manhattan will be the same.  I appreciate the thought.  As for sailing in April? I always look at the weather about a week before I leave and will pack accordingly. I will probably just bring long sleeves and I always pack a sweater/cardigan.

Thanks for the congrats.

9 hours ago, awhfy said:

Lois, I can’t wait to get your take on Azamara. I’m seriously looking at several of their immersive voyages. 

Well, tomorrow is March so I can then say "I sail next month":classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We are sailing out of New York for the first time to, on the 28th.  Not Azmara--I wish--.  We get into LaGuardia at 2 and will take a private car. to our hotel, which I got on Hotwire,  the Moxy, which will be fine.; I think more in the financial district but not too far from the 9-11 area.  Not very familiar with New York!

We live 2.5 hours from the airport and leave at 6AM.  So will have to leave home around 2 or 2:30 AM.  From similar flight  schedules we both know we will not be able to sleep that night so I think by the time we get to the hotel we will not be too anxious to get out and do anything, unfortunaley.

9 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We are sailing out of New York for the first time to, on the 28th.  Not Azmara--I wish--.  We get into LaGuardia at 2 and will take a private car. to our hotel, which I got on Hotwire,  the Moxy, which will be fine.; I think more in the financial district but not too far from the 9-11 area.  Not very familiar with New York!

We live 2.5 hours from the airport and leave at 6AM.  So will have to leave home around 2 or 2:30 AM.  From similar flight  schedules we both know we will not be able to sleep that night so I think by the time we get to the hotel we will not be too anxious to get out and do anything, unfortunaley.

Good morning, so you leave in 11 days:classic_biggrin:...I hope you have a wonderful time!:classic_smile:   I have all my plans set......I am going to see "BEAUTIFUL".  That would be the day I arrive.   The following morning I am going to the 9/11 Museum and Ground Zero before going to the ship.

I am staying at "The Beekman" which is very close to the Museum so I can walk there.  The hotel was a recommendation and it looks lovely on line.   I fly out April 9th and am hoping for warmer weather than what the NE is experiencing right now.

Sorry--we're leaving April 28.  Might be a really cold crossing in March!  We are dealing with historic flooding here in Nebr.--3 ft. of water in our basement--so going anywhere right now isn't in the cards.

Wish we had time to do something fun in New York, but at least we have been there before and have seen the major sights.

1 hour ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Sorry--we're leaving April 28.  Might be a really cold crossing in March!  We are dealing with historic flooding here in Nebr.--3 ft. of water in our basement--so going anywhere right now isn't in the cards.

Wish we had time to do something fun in New York, but at least we have been there before and have seen the major sights.

Oh....I sail before you!...…..hoping the spring comes soon (for them)

And omg….I saw a video of some of those floods!  I hope you are doing ok.!!!!!!!!…...sending you all my best!

We are doing fine, although everything in our basement will be ruined.  Many are much worse off.  We even have hot water and toilets that work and are staying warm with heaters.  

The flooding in Nebr. is probably the worst we have every had.  Thanks for the good wishes.  And enjoy your cruise.