Live/Nautica: Greece, Holy Lands, Egypt, Dubai; Terry/Pix’s

TLCOhio

On 11/23/2018 at 5:14 AM, TLCOhio said:

Now back to Jerusalem!  One of our key and most important decision was to focus on Jerusalem and stay overnight nearby to these historic areas.   Many on the cruise ship went back and forth between day one and day two in Israel.  With our plan, we had the added hotel cost, BUT, we avoided wasting four-to-five hours of wasted time traveling back and fourth between the ship and the heart of Israel.

Eagerly following your adventure, Terry. Thanks especially for this tip on an overnight stay in Jerusalem. I will be doing the reverse of your itinerary with many of the same stops, including two stops in Israel, one of which is an overnight (in 2020! Too long to wait!).

Loving your photographs and all the background information -- thank you for being so thorough! About the blue tinted photographs in Greece: if that wasn't a filter, you might want to re-do the "white balance" on your camera.

Looking forward to your next installments,

Terry - I am enjoying your narrative, historical notes and especially the pictures - thanks!

As an aside, in the past Oceania has employed Israeli special forces for protection in that area. Not sure if this was the case on your cruise but it would make sense as they are “local” (as well as very good :))

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 10:07 AM, TLCOhio said:

Have been watching the cable news coverage about the passing of former President George H. W. Bush at age 94.  Much of the attention is about both the 41st President and his late wife, Barbara.  If I have time, I might post some personal experiences in meeting both of them.  As the last of the President who served in World War II, Tom Brokaw was calling him the last of the "Greatest Generation".  

Looking forward to your personal experiences. He was a great friend of Israel. RIP.

On 12/2/2018 at 12:02 AM, Silver Spectre said:

Excellent visuals as usual Terry. Sorry that you are missing out on Job’s footprint on your visit to Salalah, a memorable trip highlight 😂

Appreciate these very nice comments and above good follow-ups. As today is our last sea-day as we sail from Salalah to Muscat off of the south coast of Oman, I will provide more later on the responses from Dani, Paulchili and Unibok.  Keep 'em coming with any and all questions, comments, etc.  

First, as to Salalah, below are some visual highlights.  They look good, but this was a totally "botched" port stop.  The ship was about 15-20 minutes late in getting docked, etc., beyond its scheduled 10 am time.  Then the local officials were late getting on the ship and being set-up for clearing the ship.  The result was that the 10:30 am starting time for our local tour did not commence until 11:58 am.  Then, they cut out an hour out of the allotted 4.5 hours for our tour.  As a result, we could not get inside the new Grand Mosque as prayer time was happening when we arrived there.  It would have been much smarter to have adjusted the time when we visited this religious location till later in the schedule. Then at the Al Husn Souq market, they have already torn down most of this old site.  We only had twenty minutes here (actually a net of about ten minutes after having our guide do a sales pitch at one of the locations selling the scents, etc.).  The Museum of Frankincense allowed us about 40 minutes, but our guide was weak in not explaining that much as to what we were seeing, etc.  This location had some interesting maritime exhibits to remind us about what a sea power had been Oman when its empire stretched from Africa to Pakistan.    

The bottom line was marginal as to what we saw and did here.  Oh, I forgot that we kind of wasted 15-minutes with a stop at a fruit market area for a coconut drink "experience".  WOW!!??  Overall, it was a very weak and poorly-managed tour.  We shared with the ship's General Manager as to how Oceania could have done much, much better.  Additionally, on the positive side, the port here in Salalah is booming and being rapidly expanded.  Lots of other new construction is going on here, etc.  We saw some nice beach areas and enjoyed the cooling breeze coming off these water as we walked around near their market.    We are hoping for a much better experience for Oman in Muscat. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 62,093 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Here are three different views of the new Grand Mosque in Salalah.  Very nicely designed and classy with its first-class materials and construction.  Unfortunately we could NOT get inside as promised and we had prepared by having the proper dress due to poor tour management.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

DSC_9501.thumb.jpg.d81c05eada87dce9ac0f19e8a18a4cfc.jpg

DSC_9514.thumb.jpg.46e3545b3cebecf1531cfc87b85b99cb.jpg

DSC_9520.thumb.jpg.5b14e3b347a6dcd5bd1d482a37895156.jpg

Here are two visuals to give local "flavor" from the coconut drink experience and seeing some of the local produce at this location.:

DSC_9532.thumb.jpg.83bd065986b42a817a736d05a14282c8.jpg

DSC_9536.thumb.jpg.29059ddc923c32182996456e46ed2f4c.jpg

We did get a quick "photo stop" outside of the Royal Palace in Salalah.  This was one view of an interesting tower there.  BUT, mostly we just saw the large outside walls .:

DSC_9545.thumb.jpg.eeb44aead35c67fac7eb49293445ad08.jpg

Now below I are a few more of the visuals from having been in Salalah in the far western part of Oman. 

This morning we will have our final ship lecture as our speaker previews Dubai and talks about how it is a city like no other.  One person on the ship described Dubai as the Middle East meets India and then mixes in Hollywood!!  Looking forward to seeing both Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the UAE.  

Here are a couple of visuals from being at one of the sales shops at their market.  Second is one of the sale ladies (who gave permission for me to take this picture) and one of tour group members who was dressed for visiting inside the Mosque (that did not happen).:

DSC_9547.thumb.jpg.a9a0c4f316a50c22b81c79ea9ad323b1.jpg

DSC_9558.thumb.jpg.596c94a1160c59609233b8216e25ac80.jpg

Here are a couple of visuals from the Museum that highlight the maritime connections for Oman.  Second is an old navigation tool used in the past.:

DSC_9564.thumb.jpg.78a21c9f0bef34ba6f2cd59e1c03bfc2.jpg

DSC_9569.thumb.jpg.072746214c46f928da64993411939297.jpg

Here is the Oman flag flying well in the cool sea breeze.:

DSC_9578.thumb.jpg.bd33a8074abae14ed883a3f6e407b919.jpg

Below finishes the visuals from having been in Salalah yesterday.  Later today, I will finish with the rest of the highlight visuals from Jerusalem, etc.

Unfortunately our fun cruise is drawing closer to its conclusion. Just three more days on the Nautica.  Continue to enjoy the ship's food, nice staff, evening entertainment programs, etc.   

BUT, we will have extra time after the cruise in Dubai and Abu Dhabi to explore and see more there before flying back to the Midwest.   

First, here is a view of the berry from frankincense tree.  We did learn a decent amount about frankincense, its uses, history, etc.:

DSC_9586.thumb.jpg.6838cf22586cf8fb28a13579b0791737.jpg

This visual shows one of the many, many very large cranes in this booming port.  Second is my view looking out from our balcony as our ship was being "fueled up".  This was a large boat acting as a "floating service station".  Interesting to watch this action up close and personal.:

DSC_9587.thumb.jpg.141c70211f3f1ae97b0ad04ba237a5da.jpg

DSC_9590.thumb.jpg.4c9562c824c60fb0d3d3b1c63b5f7101.jpg

28 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

One person on the ship described Dubai as the Middle East meets India and then mixes in Hollywood!!  Looking forward to seeing both Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the UAE.  

I would describe Dubai as the Disneyland of the Middle East - nothing seems real and it’s all about entertainment and show. 😄

Lots to do and see there, as I am sure you know - I love the architecture. If you can fit in a tea or dinner at Burj Al Arab I would recommend it - not for the food per se but to see the hotel (the only way to visit it). Once inside you can see all of the hotel - pretty special.

In Abu Dhabi be sure to visit the Mosque and maybe the Emirates Palace (used to be free - there may be a charge now).

Edited by Paulchili

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

I would describe Dubai as the Disneyland of the Middle East - nothing seems real and it’s all about entertainment and show. 😄      Lots to do and see there, as I am sure you know - I love the architecture. If you can fit in a tea or dinner at Burj Al Arab I would recommend it - not for the food per se but to see the hotel (the only way to visit it). Once inside you can see all of the hotel - pretty special.    In Abu Dhabi be sure to visit the Mosque and maybe the Emirates Palace (used to be free - there may be a charge now).

YES!!  Very good tips and insights above as to Dubai.  Ready to start now the speaker presentation on Dubai.  Will make notes and share more details later.  

Below is how Silversea Cruises summarizes for our upcoming Muscat: "Oman's capital city is hemmed in on one side by spectacular jagged-peaked mountains and on the other by royal blue sea. The architecture is a traditional, sophisticated arabesque blend of white-washed, low-rise buildings surrounded by manicured palms, intricately designed domes set atop the minarets of the mosques, sand-colored villas, a surprising blend of modern art installations, like a giant incense burner that towers over the Corniche, and ancient forts set in the rocky hills.  Though tradition abounds, from distinct, local cuisine to the widely worn national dress, the dishdasha, Muscat is a completely modern city, featuring opulent luxury hotels, international restaurants, excellent cellular and data service, sprawling shopping malls, pristine beaches, lively nightlife, world-class performing arts, and a highly educated population, most of whom speak English, Arabic, and often Hindi. Muscat is the ideal base for exploring other areas of the country since many of the most desirable destinations are within a few hours' drive."

Full story at:

Here is a picture of our Nautica Captain from his earlier question-and-answer session with the passengers.  This visual reflects his strong, solid leadership style.  Plus, his great sense of humor. He did not make clear as to whether these "Seals" were of American or Israel background/training!!:

DSC_9470.thumb.jpg.c45e17d01de7278b52b0a0f2cc3fd12f.jpg

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

Terry,  In Salalah, do you know if a shuttle was provided to town and where the drop off point was ?

Excellent above question as to whether Oceania offered a shuttle into Salalah.  My understanding is that this option was not offered.  My guess as to WHY??  Salalah does not really have a central, main area for dropping off visitors and where they can focus their attentions.  The town, from what we saw and experienced, is fairly spread out.  Hard to drop people off to what kind might be described as "nowhere".  Plus, the net timing available for this port was limited.   Sorry to be so blunt.  

Below from AccuWeather is our upcoming forecasts for Muscat and Dubai.  Looking good?

Tomorrow Cruise Director Julie Jones just shared, the Muscat port arrival time will be 7 am.  We will depart this port at 4 pm.  Lots to see there in a short period of time.  

Super loved visiting many different parts of the Caribbean.  See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples for historic San Juan, etc., at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2264847

First is the upcoming weather for Muscat and then for our two days plus in Dubai.  Looking outstanding and nice.  A little warm, but that will give us nice memories when dealing with the Midwest winters in later December, January, etc.:

678973982_MuscatDec.4AccuWeather.png.b97bd413ff1f73a306d7efb44b89c7f4.png

Here is the forecast for Dubai: 

204454702_DubaiDec.5-6AccuWeater.png.94bc22250a5ebf483ee0bf4e0ea4971d.png

On 12/1/2018 at 10:30 PM, Unibok said:

Eagerly following your adventure, Terry. Thanks especially for this tip on an overnight stay in Jerusalem. I will be doing the reverse of your itinerary with many of the same stops, including two stops in Israel, one of which is an overnight (in 2020! Too long to wait!).   Loving your photographs and all the background information -- thank you for being so thorough! About the blue tinted photographs in Greece: if that wasn't a filter, you might want to re-do the "white balance" on your camera.   Looking forward to your next installments,

From this above earlier posting by Unibok, glad that you are planning to do an overnight stay in Jerusalem.  That does save time, make your logistics better and allow more options/flexibility.  As noted, it costs a little more, but can be very much worth it.  This includes for doing an overnight stay in Luxor. 

YES, I had checked earlier and found that my "auto white balance" was not set properly on my Nikon D7200 camera.  It's fixed now!!  The blue, however, with that water was very much a unique shade of this color.  BUT, it was not "that blue" as my posted picture showed for that part of the coast in Cyprus.  

Below is more catching up for on-board ship activities during our sea-days.  Like the food and program offerings?

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 242,950 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Today and earlier 0n this sailing, the ship offered a cooking demonstration.  Here are some visuals from that earlier program. It featured in this culinary demonstration the Nautica’s Executive Chef Frederic Camonin (right) from France and Chef de Cuisine Toscana Biagio Gallo from Italy near Naples.  Both were very entertaining and fun!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)1863083837_DSC_94171.jpg.efbb7247d458752dd1a4d9d51ca41a36.jpg

922976880_DSC_94182.jpg.126e1a04f4944fb1c91d48b62c66067d.jpg

875422312_DSC_94233.thumb.jpg.a2fc94b30c51e765956bc71a828b4516.jpg

806152703_DSC_94254.thumb.jpg.d2ec1f843828642265b887a7ef4e7151.jpg

Here is Cruise Director Julie Jones doing her evening performance with a number of "torch songs" from that era in music.  Julie is very popular, energetic and talented, etc.:

824164653_DSC_94575.jpg.d0b209dc5dace5a686a7f02cc3c7f095.jpg

From one of our Red Sea sailing days, they had a large luncheon buffet in the Grand Dining Room.  Here are a few visual samples, including my choices for my desserts at this luncheon.  Did I have three desserts?  YES!  The options looked too good to just "discriminate" by picking only one sweet treat!!  Plus, the final picture shows how the wines are available in this dining area.:

1996090258_DSC_94781.jpg.d4686ea4be02b2f74406da6a992d29dd.jpg

591192961_DSC_94862.jpg.801c1d12e7c875792f1fe10f3c4797a3.jpg

1115853352_DSC_94903.jpg.9c9cb9a9d13d852c3edadb3cd1186924.jpg

1993183779_DSC_94914.jpg.9aa2e65ab5cc697e4f89e7bae22b3749.jpg

Now back to completing my postings to document just a small fraction of the amazing sights, sites and history from this celebrated and battled-over city of Jerusalem.  Sorry to share so many, but the unique treasures there are so very many in this historic center of three key religions.  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 232,687 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Within the four different "quarters" of Jerusalem's Old Town, there are many different shopping, food, etc., offerings and options.  Some are just touristy.  We ignored those places.  But, other shops are good and interesting, including for seeing the various people here, what they are selling, etc.  This include experiences such as shown in pictures three and four.  We had some fresh squeezed pomegranate juice.  Very tasty and refreshing!!  Also, one of the sellers of scarves let me take his picture, but then wanted to be paid two dollars.  I gave him one dollar and he was happy!!:

1522045797_CMY_76303.jpg.37486c29bc63b66ee0a1c84fbaf332be.jpg

952678192_CMY_76364.thumb.jpg.0dbbb665e8d50f3283238f2499ac3cd9.jpg

1873624965_CMY_76465.jpg.b3688601d7ec89f1a5e81961c021e63d.jpg

336220617_CMY_76516.jpg.331bd7386f2b2ae4fa34db0422e931a4.jpg

975681975_CMY_76172.thumb.jpg.9fbc1c96602b8338780b5d59514babd0.jpg

Here are more sights as we traveled along the narrow streets of Old Jerusalem, including this cute picture of one of the many cats seen "patrolling" in this area.:

458613595_CMY_76538.thumb.jpg.d8633c59dec1db2ada1cf20a7bd10065.jpg

1401942651_CMY_76527.thumb.jpg.9dc098b936b0f37f5930d7d7519f909f.jpg

666779297_CMY_76609.jpg.7cb757886692fb8c263c137aa42d3b04.jpg

Finally in this visual, here is our group of four with our guide, Ofir Horn.  He operates  
Holy Land Private Tours (Web Site: www.holylandprivatetours.com).  We were visiting this 
antiquities shop in Jerusalem.  We learned that Israel has no prohibitions for exporting antiquities from their country.  WHY??  They have so many there and there literally is no place to store display or house ALL that has been discovered there over the years.  We could have picked up some interesting old coins and other high-quality items in this shop.  BUT, to be honest, we have enough "stuff" at home and there are limits as to what we can spend and bring back.  I like just taking visual images.  Much cheaper??!!:

161944081_CMY_76731.jpg.3b417293627b90f03a93dc347b3dfb68.jpg

Now we come to sharing some of the sights and experiences from traveling along the famed Via Dolorosa.  This name means in Latin as the "Way of Grief," "Way of Sorrow," "Way of Suffering" or simply the "Painful Way".  Within the Old City of Jerusalem, this street or path is believed to be the route that Jesus walked on the way to his crucifixion. The winding passage goes to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre that we had visited earlier this morning.  It involves a distance of about 2,000 feet.  This route is marked by nine "Stations of the Cross".  Five of the stations are inside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling for "down under” wonders. Exciting visuals with key highlights.  On page 15, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 216,172 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Here is a small sampling of what we saw and experienced in traveling along Jerusalem's Via Dolorosa.  This second image is the most moving and meaningful as it involved a group from Central America doing this symbolic carrying of the cross along this painful route.  Finally is a stone marking the Sixth Station, where Veronica wiped the face of Jesus.:

839553439_CMY_76793.jpg.3bd5d41c7ee4336d8e17badfc22905f9.jpg

1017824056_CMY_76641.jpg.74870a8c59f68f534ff0412bcbd0f71c.jpg

432460851_CMY_76702.thumb.jpg.c6e3f6f93f7ca202a3cf080ae30c298d.jpg

Next is part of what was the Pool of Bethesda in the Muslim Quarter of Jerusalem. The fifth chapter of the Gospel of John describes such a pool in Jerusalem, near the Sheeps' Gate.  The location is associated with healing. In the Byzantine period, it was converted to a church and is connected as a site where Mother Mary was born.:

61399250_CMY_76854.jpg.086ec61fb62a900978178a93ca7a6f06.jpg

394024172_CMY_76885.jpg.5bc50c6c6803c013bbd63265a060d2e8.jpg

602233967_CMY_76946.thumb.jpg.aff2829150bdbb6e46f264503ee0fea5.jpg

This religious structure represents the First Station where it is believed Jesus was condemned to death.  Second is the interior of this religious site.

884342113_CMY_77017.jpg.3be5be7a8f2a01af8e95faebd0cc2328.jpg

1821661783_CMY_77068.jpg.0bf1a072dd11f47076d6e700a0001829.jpg

Here are two other religious sites connected with the Stations of the Cross in Jerusalem.:

534312805_CMY_77129.jpg.42ae2296af33276a3e7b417d35b569fd.jpg

2109485344_CMY_771710.thumb.jpg.3b5f815e03ed0630aac81b101a2d20f1.jpg

As I am moving to completing our second day in Jerusalem, here is a little sample from our lunch at a traditional Islam-related dining place with a very good offering of local foods. 

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 79,565 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

First is the sign/name for where we had lunch.  Very "local", quick and good!!  Second, I am sorry that the picture of Milt did not come out better.  My fault!!  As always, you need to go with and pick the picture where the lady (in this case, Amy) looks the best.  The key point here was to show the range of items that we tasted and enjoyed.:

1759804606_CMY_77332.jpg.2104c4fa2f750bdec49c6bc664fbc9f8.jpg

119576227_CMY_77291.jpg.9b17b34ff5de8eaeb1b641cc09ccc764.jpg

Next are a couple more examples for the various sights and sampling for what we experienced as our guide was giving us more background on the local items in these many shopping areas of the Old City.  Second is an example of the many different dining locations/options in this area.:

422687535_CMY_77443.thumb.jpg.c3ef32f109049bf917e6fc7fe0d48f02.jpg

195385513_CMY_77494.jpg.5c73313cc44f4e3bc2de6f9b149850b6.jpg

Now from our two days in Jerusalem, we finished with the Western or Wailing Wall.  It is an ancient limestone wall in the Old City. It is a relatively small segment of a far longer ancient retaining wall, known in its entirety as the "Western Wall".  The wall was originally erected as part of the expansion of the Second Jewish Temple begun by Herod the Great.  This resulted in converting and expanding the natural, steep hill known as the Temple Mount.  This construction created a large rectangular structure topped by a massive, flat building platform. For Muslims, it is also the site where the Islamic Prophet Muhammad tied his steed, al-Buraq, on his night journey to Jerusalem before ascending from this rock up to paradise.  The Western Wall is considered holy among the Jewish with its connection to the Temple Mount. Because of the Temple Mount entry restrictions, this Western Wall is the holiest place where Jews are permitted to pray.  

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 62,093 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Here are several of my visuals related to Jerusalem's famed Western Wall.  Men and women must be separated and they visited different sides of this wall.  Women are on the right in this first picture.  Their side is much smaller and was  muchmore crowded.  Not exactly fair??!!  During the afternoon of our visit, our side was not that crowded or rushed.  Plus, the weather was perfect!!  Much to be thankful with our concluding stop in the Old City.:

1324483108_CMY_77707.jpg.fcc22e486e369d8405e3d1a88c1d5814.jpg

160315912_CMY_77768.thumb.jpg.76dd915b96fbc95fa82e349eaf8f32da.jpg

1668006257_CMY_77545.jpg.201ad6542b9938acbebbaf1bfc67fc93.jpg

595383368_CMY_77596.jpg.127431a445e4223854ef0cf301db4148.jpg

This visual gives a good idea as to how close are these two most important sites for those of the Jewish and Islamic faiths.  Right next door!!  At the top is the Dome of the Rock, then below shows another angle for an overview of the Western Wall.  Second shows more of a close-up for the Dome's detailing.:

1640685907_CMY_77829.jpg.2573970f7ec289ce6f7bae780fb750c8.jpg

308888005_CMY_779210.thumb.jpg.acc9411388fabdb28a9d98f56e4102c9.jpg

Below are the final images and views from our visit to Jerusalem and returning to our ship in plenty of time prior to its 8 pm sail-away.  

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 39,482 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

As we departed the Old City, here was one of the views over to the Mount of Olives and its many burial sites.  Second is a view of the nearby White Russian Church of St. Mary Magdalene on Mount of Olives in Jerusalem.  It was dedicated in 1888 by the Russian Czar.:

981123015_CMY_780011.jpg.cb7a91cda81c47f1b9921d598f2bf25a.jpg

2110133821_CMY_780512.thumb.jpg.b56174cd96e2a94060c657e028abe09f.jpg

Just outside of the old walls, we stopped at the Garden Tomb.  Some believe that this was the final location for Jesus' body before his resurrection.  More modern and scientific evidence places that location more likely at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.:

88552565_CMY_781113.jpg.a1f9c9d3e61dc631331d2f45d88c0722.jpg

As we returned to our Nautica ship docked in Haifa, here is our guide, Ofir Horn, on the left, along with a very happy Amy, Milt and my wife, Penny.  We did so much in just two days, but things worked well, especially given that Milt had been so seriously affected just a few weeks prior with major back disk challenges.  You can see in front the top his cane and some of our luggage from doing the overnight stay in Jerusalem.:

1312293079_CMY_782014.jpg.adad3c9a9065732b2e3070d669e784ea.jpg

Below is a sample of visuals from being on the Nautica today during this final sea-day.  Nice and great staff!!  They deserve a very positive "shout-out" for their excellent performance, hard work and efforts to make things very enjoyable for us as passengers on this fun journey. 

Dubrovnik!  Nice visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic location. Over 44,388 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

This first visual shows our current position in this Arabian Sea portion of the Indian Ocean.  We are now heading and getting closer to Muscat and then on to Dubai.  Second shows my tasty omelet being prepared this morning at the Terrace Cafe.  Sorry that my iPhone was not a wide enough angle to avoid cropping off the top part of her head.   Third is the view of this Terrace dining venue where we had an enjoyable lunch today.  The final two visuals give a sampling of the great staff here.  First is in the Waves area next to the pool. The final image is of a portion of the staff at the Terrace Cafe being very helpful to illustrate their great spirit and interest.  They appreciated me asking to take their picture and recognizing their wonderful efforts.:

1573862508_IMG_32541.jpg.921662f01a908c0ebd9bb1d63dfbf577.jpg

385848013_IMG_32522.thumb.jpg.9018053a2f12700d2930cae3790c8ab9.jpg

1248679643_CMA_95963.jpg.5fa3efdcf0939e03eb374d0c49d225a1.jpg

1479842480_CMA_96125.jpg.692ef77b9d1fd1f966119d3270a4d6fb.jpg

1167343619_CMA_96064.jpg.c3b84667f0ef7f40fa57159f562eda81.jpg

Below are a few more to illustrated sea life today and that we are not suffering in any way.  Nice and sunny!!  It is super pleasant!!  The sea is very calm and smooth today.  And, we are past the potential pirate zones. 

Here is the view for the pool deck on the Oceania Nautica this afternoon.  Look sunny and nice?.:

1095429875_CMA_96181.jpg.365f0672d53e68f608de6a370e5d4bbb.jpg

1659320601_CMA_96162.jpg.00b5dbf46d61d0e031dc415c8cfaa416.jpg

This was my dinner last night in the Grand Dining Room.  Again, not starving and/or being subject to harsh conditions on this ship.  The main item was lamb.  Tonight, we will be at the Polo Grill.  It will be our third experience there during this 20-day cruise.  We were fair and had three visits to the Italian speciality dining location.:

428711336_IMG_32363.jpg.4091e345a9c1893e45a2668e3f891f4f.jpg

1314613254_IMG_32445.jpg.31b2a6decc1616b31c35003cec951808.jpg

865320969_IMG_32404.thumb.jpg.21ebf2bbf544383acca3161f82517113.jpg

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

Sorry you had a poor tour in Salalah Terry, hope Muscat goes better!

Appreciate this above nice follow-ups. YES, am hoping that Muscat goes much better.  We've switched from the scheduled Oceania tour to a private one for just the four of us.  One of the added challenges with the Salalah ship tour was that there were 38 of us on that bus.  That larger number always adds to the difficulties for your tour being both "personal" and time-efficient. 

Late this afternoon, below are two of the views as the sun was setting and how we viewed this fun experience.:

2076267895_CMA_96461.jpg.c263b732d7fe19075b942ba1c5f47468.jpg

195700524_CMA_96612.jpg.adcd12e6af2928ef065232276af0da25.jpg

4 hours ago, Unibok said:

Terry, your posts have made me so excited for the future. Thank you for the care and attention you put into your photographs, background info, and stories. Can't wait to see Muscat through your eyes.

Just arriving now in Muscat.  Had great sunrise from our balcony!!  Seeing this town and harbor during this sail-in are super spectacular, etc.  Looking very good here.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Looking forward to your next set of visuals, we disembarked and drove to the fantastic, modern airport to leave.

As to a quick summary as to how we much liked Muscat, the short response is . . . we loved this very clean, classy and well-organized capital of Oman.  Very impressive!!  I have many pictures to share, but am now getting ready for the final production program in the Nautica Lounge.  Lots of great Motown sounds, etc., coming, plus recognizing the great crew.  

Will try to post tomorrow.  BUT, our ship will be docking in Dubai at noon tomorrow. Then, we are meeting our private guide at 1 pm.  They will be kicking us off of the ship on the morning of Dec. 6.  Then we will drop off our luggage at our hotel and then head to Abu Dhabi for an all-day tour there.  Lots to do and see!!  More later. 

Edited by TLCOhio