Live/Nautica: Greece, Holy Lands, Egypt, Dubai; Terry/Pix’s

TLCOhio

9 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

YES, Missy from Maryland, you have asked very good questions and made some nice, much appreciated comments.  Great follow-up!!!  We do have set up a "Taku Lodge Feast & 5-Glacier Seaplane Discovery Tour" through the owner (originally from Central Ohio) for Sunday, July 28 with Wings Airways in Juneau while sailing on the Silver Muse.  Should be fun and I am planning to be in the co-pilot seat to achieve some nice visuals (if the weather cooperates).

As to Silversea versus Oceania, they are different in some ways, but overall both are similar and very good to excellent.  Much depends on your personal style, budget, etc. We have done five cruises with Silversea and are getting ready to do our sixth with that cruise line on their Silver Muse for going from Vancouver up to Alaska in late July.  We have booked a February 2020 Oceania South Pacific sailing from Auckland to Tahiti.   Clearly, we very much like the size, style and quality with BOTH of these lines.  Our Oceania ship was a little larger than what are the Silversea ships.  But, both are at a nice, comfortable type compared to being on a ship that hold 2,000, 3,000 or more passengers.  Beer, wine and liquor are extra with Oceania, but included with Silversea.  Soft drinks are included with both lines.  Both have decent dining alternatives in addition to what is offered in the MDR's, room-service menus, etc.  Both are flexible and good in being able to pick your dining times, etc.  Oceania's excursions tend to be more costly than those with SS, plus maybe a little large in the group size. 

In general, Silversea tends to be a little more costly, but their basic balcony rooms are much larger and more roomy.  Some SS ships are newer compared to the older (but being re-done) Oceania R-class ships. Better, larger baths, in general, with Silversea.   In looking at the specifics of your planned November 2020 Silver Spirit sailing, one of the key pluses is that you would have the potential of three days (versus our two days) to explore Jerusalem and nearby.  This SS cruise has less time/stops in and at certain islands in the Med and one less stop in Oman.  BOTH what we did and for what you are planning, they have the key stops for Jordan and Egypt as being virtually the same.  The SS cruise is for 17 days versus ours being 20 days. Those difference in number of days in the sailing can affect the overall cost. 

Does this help a little?  Hopefully, I have given a decent mini-college level summary. What letter grade do you give me?  Do you need a Masters and/or Ph.D, more in-depth analysis?   What added questions, info needs for both lines?  We did sailing on the Silver Spirit in June 2017 from Lisbon to Rouen before it was "stretched" to its current size and style. Know that ship fairly well.  You will love your planned November 2020 sailing!!  But, five sea-days in going down the Red Sea and to Oman, can be a long time on the ship, if your focus is more about port stops.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 220,057 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

A+ Terry!  Thanks!  Nice to know that sodas are included on Oceania although I do like not having to haul out the card every time I want a glass of wine/bourbon/coffee/Coke onboard SS.  The dining flexibility is important as I like being able to wander to the dining room when the mood strikes (can you do that on Spirit like you can on the smaller ones or are reservations required always?  Need to check into that...)

I looked on the Oceania site and the similar cruise for Nov 2020 is sold out.  SS still has space available.  Hard to believe the difference.

You will enjoy Wings Air.  Michelle piloted us over Misty Fjords and we landed on the lake for some walking around time.  I got to co-pilot on the way there.  Just don't touch the foot pedals...

16 hours ago, MHF said:

A+ Terry!  Thanks!  Nice to know that sodas are included on Oceania although I do like not having to haul out the card every time I want a glass of wine/bourbon/coffee/Coke onboard SS.  The dining flexibility is important as I like being able to wander to the dining room when the mood strikes (can you do that on Spirit like you can on the smaller ones or are reservations required always?  Need to check into that...)  I looked on the Oceania site and the similar cruise for Nov 2020 is sold out.  SS still has space available.  Hard to believe the difference.  You will enjoy Wings Air.  Michelle piloted us over Misty Fjords and we landed on the lake for some walking around time.  I got to co-pilot on the way there.  Just don't touch the foot pedals...

WOW!!  Super appreciate your rating as an "A+" and these follow-up comments.  Shouldn't I try to do better??  You've been very kind.  It's fun sharing background from our adventures. 

Agree that we really looking forward to flying with Wings Airways and seeing these dramatic sights around and near Juneau, Alaska.  BUT, weather in that area can be a challenge.  We will hope for the best!!  On the Silversea board, I am planning to do a live/blog with many visuals, etc.

Above you mentioned about needing to show a card when getting wine, drinks, etc., when with SS.  No need to share any cards with Silversea.  It's all included!!  Yes, with Oceania, there are some "hassles" in showing and doing a charge to your card, etc.  It's possible that Oceania books up earlier on their best offerings as their prices are lower.  BUT, comparable room size differences might or might not make the Silversea's pricing worth it.  Keep researching and let me know any added question, info needs, etc.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 82,014 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Terrific and detailed review Terry, was supposed to be on this cruise but cancelled after a not so impressive cruise on the Marina. Have booked the SS November 2020 itinerary and hoping you can join MHF.  I understand that the higher cost of SS compared to Oceania, but was over having to think about every glass of wine and the cost. Also the buffet was always so crowded, it was stressful to get a seat. The Marina room was a god size but that Nautica bathroom is just ridiculously small, can’t have 2 people in at the same time. So it all depends what’s important to you but with Oceania Cruises, the prices appear cheaper but start to creep up with all the added stuff you have to pay for (drinks, gratuities, high alcoholic and excursion prices etc) after the cruise is booked unlike SS. 

Planning on putting together overland tours to Cairo as well. Looking forward to the cruise and looking forward to your Alaska blog Terry. 

Cheers !

On 5/5/2019 at 11:34 AM, j_anandu said:

Terrific and detailed review Terry, was supposed to be on this cruise but cancelled after a not so impressive cruise on the Marina. Have booked the SS November 2020 itinerary and hoping you can join MHF.  I understand that the higher cost of SS compared to Oceania, but was over having to think about every glass of wine and the cost. Also the buffet was always so crowded, it was stressful to get a seat. The Marina room was a god size but that Nautica bathroom is just ridiculously small, can’t have 2 people in at the same time. So it all depends what’s important to you but with Oceania Cruises, the prices appear cheaper but start to creep up with all the added stuff you have to pay for (drinks, gratuities, high alcoholic and excursion prices etc) after the cruise is booked unlike SS.   Planning on putting together overland tours to Cairo as well. Looking forward to the cruise and looking forward to your Alaska blog Terry.   Cheers !

Appreciate these comments and this thoughtful follow-up as detailed above.  Yes, there are many "TRADE-OFFS" to consider and compare!!  A number of plus/minus factor can and should be evaluated and considered.  For us, it is primarily about the itinerary.  Yes, we will be doing the Alaska cruise with Silversea.  Could we have found a cheaper cruise option?  Yes, but the overall "value" and fit worked for us with SS and this overall schedule to explore these areas for the first time.  

After that on our priority list is a first-time trip for exploring in early 2020 various South Pacific islands, including Fiji, Samoa, Bora Bora, etc.  This will be a sailing with Oceania on the Regatta, another R-ship with a smaller bathroom, busy buffet, etc.  Not perfect and ideal, but the overall mix of itinerary and ship/food and costs/quality works for our interests in traveling from Auckland to Tahiti.  AND, most important is giving us an escape from the Midwest winter cold going down to warmer weather and better sunshine conditions.  Plus, unique sights and scenery!!  This planned trip will also allow us a week prior to the cruise on New Zealand's North Island and exploring areas that we did not see during your 2014 sailing and stops in NZ.  Should be fun??!!

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 220,228 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 8:30 PM, j_anandu said:

Absolutely it’ll be fun. Can’t wait for your upcoming cruise, will be following along

Appreciate this nice follow-up above.  YES, am looking forward to these upcoming travels.  Will have many great "photo opportunities" and will share through live/blogs.  

From National Geographic last month, they had this headline: “See Jerusalem like a Nat Geo Explorer”  with these highlights: “Every visitor to Jerusalem arrives with an expectation and leaves boggled by how vast and complicated this jewel in the rocky hills truly is. As the home of three major world religions, Jerusalem attracts people from far and wide. No two travelers to the city leave with the same experience, nor do they leave as the same people they were when they arrived.”

This profile has many good tips and insights for this part of the world.  Plus, there are links to other helpful background info items.  Here is another key story highlight: "People-watching is perhaps the best cultural experience in Jerusalem. The hustle and bustle of the Western Wall late on Friday afternoon is only second to Central Station during rush hour. Watch as people complete their shopping before the Sabbath, pray, and connect with friends."

Full story at:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/destinations/asia/israel/jerusalem/explorers-guide/

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 235,149 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This great visual, done in dramatic National Geographic style, helps illustrated why Jerusalem is a tiny piece of land is so sacred to three major religions.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

824689793_ScreenShot2019-05-18at9_49_05AM.thumb.png.dbfc341e4ed1b973c9232cc287aa74f3.png

Here is a great angle and overview of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.  Dedicated in 1149, this site dates to the crusader era, although portions are older. Pilgrims and tourists from around the world visit the historic basilica each year, which is still an active church.:

874214415_ScreenShot2019-05-18at9_48_06AM.thumb.png.d2ee6754cc4a060621c28b89199d21f6.png

• 2 weeks later...

From the Barrons publication yesterday, they had this headline: “Great Escapes: The Majesty of Petra”  with these highlights: “Petra is regarded as one of the New Seven Wonders of the World, with the ancient city being rediscovered in the early 20th century. It's now an in-demand travel destination as scorching hot for bucket-listers as the desert which surrounds it.  Petra's actual roots stretch back over two millennia further than its modern 'rediscovery'—and the area as a whole was settled some 7,000 years prior to that—when Petra served as the capital of the Nabataean Kingdom. The city thrived with tens of thousands of residents and served as a crucial trading waypoint, before falling to the Romans and losing significance due to trade by sea, along with a devastating earthquake in the 4th century. Much of the city was destroyed, though luckily for modern travelers, there's still a jaw-dropping abundance of splendor to soak up in Petra.”

We super loved late last year our exploring of Petra, plus to nearby Wadi Rum.  This profile also notes: "Don't skip a visit to the surreal landscape of Wadi Rum, whose vast expense, sand dunes, and stunning rock formations, such as the Seven Pillars, and the Burdah Bridge, a traversable rock archway some 1,600 meters above the desert, are singularly stunning."  YES!!  Agree as to Wadi Rum being amazing, also!

Full story at:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/great-escapes-the-majesty-of-petra-jordan-01559338200

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 46,842 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here is one of the visuals used to illustrate Petra and its historic sights.:

1392400071_ScreenShot2019-06-01at8_15_31AM.thumb.png.e831038351da4528e2f95033a75475b1.png

Hi Terry. You kindly shared info about your NZ trip, which we have planned for early 2020, & some visuals of Hong Kong. We are just back from our land trip to China & Hong Kong - most enjoyable & you would enjoy the photo opportunities. We seem to be following each other about - we have booked our first with Oceania (Nautica to Japan in 2021) and were in the South Pacific with Regent 5 years ago. So far, this is the only cruise that we would like to repeat just as it was. I think you will have a great time. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

6 hours ago, nuneham said:

Hi Terry. You kindly shared info about your NZ trip, which we have planned for early 2020, & some visuals of Hong Kong. We are just back from our land trip to China & Hong Kong - most enjoyable & you would enjoy the photo opportunities. We seem to be following each other about - we have booked our first with Oceania (Nautica to Japan in 2021) and were in the South Pacific with Regent 5 years ago. So far, this is the only cruise that we would like to repeat just as it was. I think you will have a great time. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Appreciate your very nice comments and excellent follow-up. Glad to be of help and gain your kind feed-back.  Yes, we want to do China in the future and explore that area for the first time.  Happy to hear that you are preparing for sailing on the Oceania Nautica in going to Japan.  Let me know any other questions as related to the Nautica.  By 2020, as I re-call, it will have been re-done and re-styled.  Right?

From your successful South Pacific sailing with Regent, what were the specific locations and experiences that you most loved?   What special suggestions and tips did you most remember?   Other insights and "words of wisdom"?

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 246,374 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

21 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Let me know any other questions as related to the Nautica.  By 2020, as I re-call, it will have been re-done and re-styled.  Right?

I think the refit is scheduled for 2020, our Japan cruise is planned for 2021. Should still be looking good. I very much like Regent & Silversea but we are also trying Viking for the first time later this year. If we don't like it we shall still enjoy the holiday. Oceania I think I shall like. I hear the food is very good. Trying more lines should give us greater choice of itinerary.

I keep a journal on every holiday so read the one for the South Pacific again in order to answer your question. We loved the friendly people, the softest white sand & the warmth, even in the occasional shower. We were there in January/February & there was some motion in the ocean at times, we actually missed Samoa on that account.

Champagne Bay was unforgettable, standing in clear water looking back at the curve of white sand when several piglets dashed out of the trees & back. Our day in Port Vila when we managed a jetboat ride around the bay, an off-road buggy ride & a walk in the rain forest all in one day. Very impressive cascades & waterfalls. We also had an amazing day on Savala Island from Lautoka, Fiji. I would warn that 5 years ago the local transport was not the most comfortable, in fact they had a wide variety of ways of shaking our bones, but nothing that we couldn't cope with.

The approach to Bora Bora is a dream - a rim of white waves lapping around a truly turquoise lagoon, with the land rising steeply from the coast. Tahiti was more developed, we like it less than other places we saw.

You may find parents encouraging children to sing to welcome you! We had been warned - poverty & unemployment are big problems. I had taken other small things to give - pencils, small books - & others had sweets or toiletries. I noticed Regent toiletries & pens supplementing the gift bags, but I still wonder what the lucky recipient thought of the contents of the Virgin Business Class overnight bag he received! I think you will love it - I am envious.

On 6/5/2019 at 9:55 AM, nuneham said:

I very much like Regent & Silversea but we are also trying Viking for the first time later this year. If we don't like it we shall still enjoy the holiday. Oceania I think I shall like. I hear the food is very good. Trying more lines should give us greater choice of itinerary.

South Pacific: We loved the friendly people, the softest white sand & the warmth, even in the occasional shower. We were there in January/February & there was some motion in the ocean at times, we actually missed Samoa on that account.  Our day in Port Vila when we managed a jetboat ride around the bay, an off-road buggy ride & a walk in the rain forest all in one day. Very impressive cascades & waterfalls. We also had an amazing day on Savala Island from Lautoka, Fiji.   The approach to Bora Bora is a dream - a rim of white waves lapping around a truly turquoise lagoon, with the land rising steeply from the coast. Tahiti was more developed, we like it less than other places we saw.  You may find parents encouraging children to sing to welcome you! We had been warned - poverty & unemployment are big problems. I had taken other small things to give - pencils, small books - & others had sweets or toiletries.  I think you will love it - I am envious.

Appreciate these above great comments and follow-ups.  Very helpful and interesting information about these key South Pacific locations.  Will share this background on our roll call and at another location for tips and insights about this unique region of the world.  Glad to know you have sampled different cruise lines.  We, also, are first and foremost about the "ITINERARY"!!  We are getting ready for our sixth cruise with Silversea, but we have done two cruises with Celebrity, one each with Crystal, Seabourn, Princess, Avalon and Oceania.  The upcoming cruise for the South Pacific would be with Oceania. Yes, you should like Oceania.  Nice sizing, excellent staffing and food, etc., etc.  

From CNN, the cable news network, they had this headline late last month: “Abandoned sacred places around the world”  with these highlights related to Petra: “The Treasury, in particular, was an unforgettable experience. 'That's like an adventure, you walk down a long tunnel in the mountain, then suddenly, it opens up after a mile. You see the treasury-- it looks majestic, but the treasury is a misnomer, it's actually a tomb full of medieval religious images," he recalls.  'In that case, the spirituality of it was not obvious unless you're looking for certain signs, but certainly you get an impression of an amazing civilizations, which blended together.' ”

This story with many pictures is about an author Lawrence Joffe.  His new book is "Abandoned Sacred Places" .  It "examines tombs, cathedrals, churches, mosques, synagogues and burial places across the world, which time has marauded and nature's reclaimed."  This story brings back nice memories and important details related to Petra and its historic importance.  

Full story at:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/abandoned-sacred-places-world/index.html

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 47,040 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

To illustrate this article, they had this visuals of Petra, Jordan.  They noted: "The Treasury in Jordan isn't really a treasury, but a mausoleum. In Arabic, it's called Al-Khazneh. Petra was Nabatea's capital from the 3rd century BCE until the Romans annexed the city in 106CE.":

1818345727_ScreenShot2019-06-09at8_09_36AM.thumb.png.b9e10fb47d0b522a5820e68c74653521.png

From the Sydney Morning Herald and other Fairfax newspapers in Australia in the past week, they had this headline: “World's 10 most spectacular hot air balloon”  with details as to this option in both Luxor and at Wadi Rum Jordan.  

Here is one of the story highlights about WADI RUM, JORDAN: “The jagged mountains of southern Jordan make this one of the best ballooning spots in the Middle East. Unpredictable thermals mean you can't fly over Wadi Rum itself, but the desert scenery is still superb. As you take off at sunrise, the valley floor turns from black to orange, and rocky hills are splashed in red. Squint hard enough and you might spot the distant Red Sea.”

This is how they highlighted for LUXOR, EGYPT: "Glide above Luxor by balloon, away from the hubbub beneath, and you'll be mesmerised as thousands of years of civilisation sprout along the Nile's riverbanks in an unfolding of temples and tombs, railway lines and modern hotels, villages and date palms. As the sun comes up, it illuminates the immense columns of the temples of Karnak and Hatshepsut, with the silent Valley of the Queens hidden in the distant mountains."

This live/blog is now over 13,000 views.  Appreciate those who have tuned-in, dropped-by and asked any questions.  If any info need and/or comments, please feel free to share and not be shy. 

Full story at:

http://www.traveller.com.au/traveller-10-ten-hot-air-balloon-adventures-h1f2by

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 64,010 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

This is a picture used to illustrate this article to reflect ballooning over Wadi Rum in southern Jordan.:

397108876_ScreenShot2019-06-10at8_59_10AM.thumb.png.e292bf1c230453f9888f153304f4da38.png

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Daily Mail today, they had this headline: “Head for Oman's majestic mountains and verdant valleys for a thrilling Arabian adventure” with these highlights: “Oman has been described as the Switzerland of the Middle East. Every acre of land in a country that is 82 per cent desert is in the process of being reclaimed.  There's no avoiding that Oman's lightning-quick development has come at a price. The previous day, I'd gone on a tour of three mountain villages and each was more deserted than the last.  That pattern is repeated across the region, with villagers leaving en masse to take up residence in the newly-built towns nearby.”

Here are some other points and info items shared in this profile: "There hasn't been a war in Oman since 1976 and it is considered very safe. Oman was one of the last countries to officially abolish slavery in 1970.  Muscat was named the world's second best city to visit in 2012 by Lonely Planet.  The Sultan of Oman, Qaboos bin Said al Said, is the longest serving ruler in the Middle East and the world's fourth longest serving head of state.  Between 2010 and 2016 the population of Oman almost doubled and half of its residents are under 15. The coastline is more than 3,000 km long and has some of the prettiest beaches in the world."

This profile brings back wonderful memories from visiting Oman.  Our touring and sampling here worked super well.  Very much enjoyed Muscat and the nearby areas. 

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travelsupplement/article-7144429/Head-Omans-majestic-mountains-verdant-valleys-thrilling-Arabian-adventure.html

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 28,883 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Below are just three of the visuals featured in this profile about Oman.  This includes the old market in Muscat that we enjoyed.  Next are a couple of samples for the options in the nearby desert and in the scenic mountain areas.:

227046463_ScreenShot2019-06-15at8_40_01AM.thumb.png.42c50f40c0cf46ea87521690fdc44889.png

762603654_ScreenShot2019-06-15at8_39_44AM.thumb.png.68bd6551a036147926a3901b566a27a0.png

125541493_ScreenShot2019-06-15at8_38_55AM.thumb.png.981ae1c49ac5fcce7080535bb0445c95.png

• 2 weeks later...

Our cruise ship had an overnight in Safaga. We contacted Haitham Masoud, the Tour Operator for Ramasside Tours.  He proposed a two day itinerary with the option to be flexible.  All the admissions and the hotel were included. We opted for a 5 star hotel and it was still very reasonable. We were very glad we decided to stay overnight. We avoided 6 hours on a bus two days in a row, and we were able to start very early in the morning before it got oppressively hot.

On the Africa Cruise Critic board, these above great comments, details and follow-up for the smarts in doing an overnight stay in Luxor.  It might cost a little more, but it is very, very beneficial.  There is so much wonderful to see in and around Luxor that you need the time there in that historic town.  Plus, it is good in gaining a break from the long drive required to get there and go back to the cruise ship.    

From USA Today newspaper and the AP newswire two days ago, they had this headline: “Egypt suspends hot air ballooning in Luxor after 11 tourists swept into the desert” with these highlights: “Egypt has suspended hot air ballooning rides over ancient sites in Luxor after strong winds took 11 tourists off course the day before and forced them to land in the country’s southern desert.  Local authorities said on Friday the rides would not resume until an investigation is completed.  This news comes a year and half after a tourist died in Luxor after a hot air balloon crash. That January 2018 incident also injured 12 people, and Egyptian authorities said the crash was caused by strong winds that forced the balloon off its course.”

Interesting development and situation.  We did not have time to do such a hot air balloon adventure, but glad we avoided those high winds.  

Full story at:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2019/06/21/egypt-hot-air-ballooning-suspended-in-luxor-after-tourist-incident/1525982001/

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 247,120 views.

From the Wall Street Journal earlier this month, they had this headline: “Dubai’s Palm Jumeirah Ready for Showtime” with these highlights: “The Palm Jumeirah has been Dubai’s most enduring work in progress for two decades. Now developer Nakheel is adding the finishing touches. Several major additions to the world’s biggest man-made island are approaching completion as it transitions from a near-perpetual construction site to a near-finished community—with hundreds of shops and restaurants set to open in the year ahead. Among the latest additions are a shopping mall and a tower that will form the centerpiece of the island, located close to the site originally earmarked for a 48-story Trump Tower.  While a monorail station originally bearing the Trump Tower name was completed 10 years ago, the tower itself never made it out of the ground, joining dozens of other developments across the city that were abandoned as property prices plummeted in the wake of the 2008-’09 financial crisis.”

Having traveled around and seen this amazing development in early December, this WSJ profile provides many more details and insightful background for its construction.  This story noted: "The Palm was where the Dubai property dream began, instilling the belief among investors that the emirate could deliver projects of an epic scale."

Full story at:

https://www.mansionglobal.com/articles/dubais-palm-jumeirah-ready-for-showtime-203522?mod=cx_picks&cx_navSource=cx_picks&cx_tag=mgrt&cx_artPos=8#cxrecs_s

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 236,157 views.

From this Wall Street Journal profile, here is an overall view for this massive development in the sea project.:

2142331209_ScreenShot2019-06-23at1_07_06PM.thumb.png.28f402591bef0a23365b94831c33229d.png

From NBC television, they have a weekend travel series titled: “THE VOYAGER WITH JOSH GARCIA” with many interesting visuals, highlights and details.  This mid May segment covered and related to amazing Oman.  This series is very well produced and brings back many nice memories.  He details many aspects for their sights and options in Muscat and Oman.  Much to see and enjoy in preparing for a visit to Kotor or to re-live nice memories from being there.   

Full story at:

https://www.nbc.com/the-voyager-with-josh-garcia/video/a-date-in-oman/3955154

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 221,706 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Here is the opening visual for this television profile on Oman, plus a couple of other interesting pictures from this video.:

1215149966_ScreenShot2019-06-23at2_36_38PM.thumb.png.26f4e91a55240bf157d940eb53a1405a.png

536048230_ScreenShot2019-06-23at2_36_24PM.thumb.png.2cbf9c208d1763566bcca189112a2f7d.png

1273143054_ScreenShot2019-06-23at2_35_39PM.thumb.png.efc483d2896dc7475d09e681e725a9b7.png

From the South China Morning Post today, they had this headline: “Seven Silk Road destinations, from China to Italy: towns that grew rich on trade” with these sub-heads: "Settlements along the route linking Europe and Asia thrived by providing accommodation and services for countless traders. Formally established during the Han dynasty, it was a 19th-century German geographer who coined the term Silk Road."

Petra played a key role in this story and the trading operations. Here are more story highlights: “The location of the Nabataean capital, Petra, wasn’t chosen by chance.
Savvy nomadic herders realised the site would make the perfect pit-stop at the confluence of several caravan trails, including a route to the north through Palmyra (in modern-day Syria), the Arabian peninsula to the south and Mediterranean ports to the west.  Huge payments in the form of taxes and protection money were collected – no wonder the most magnificent of the sand­stone city’s hand-carved buildings is called the Treasury.  The Red Rose City is still a gold mine – today’s tourists pay a hefty US$70 fee to enter Petra. The Nabataeans would no doubt approve..”

Full story at:

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/travel/article/3016088/seven-silk-road-destinations-china-italy-towns-grew

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 46,077 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

From the Telegraph and other News Corp newspapers in Australia earlier this month, they had this headline: “Abu Dhabi etiquette and top things to see” with this key summary: “A twinkling metropolis backing onto both the desert and the sea, Abu Dhabi is a cultural oasis that’s rich in tradition and progressive in spirit.”

Here are some more highlights: "As the capital of the United Arab Emirates, which was founded in 1971, Abu Dhabi is the largest of the seven emirates.  With over 200 islands and 700km of coastline, it accounts for almost 90 per cent of the UAE’s total area and its cosmopolitan offering of world-class art, adventure, lavish stays and dining make it one of the Middle East’s most sophisticated gems.  The sun shines in Abu Dhabi year-round. Visit between November and April in the winter season when temperatures hover between 20 and 30 degrees and there’s plenty to do outdoors. January and February are the coldest months, with the thermometer dropping below 15 degrees in the evenings.  More than 80 per cent of the UAE’s residents are expats from countries such as India, Pakistan, Iran, Egypt, the Philippines and the UK. Almost every language under the sun is spoken here, but English is most widely used."

Among the activity options suggested?:  "Visit world famous landmark Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque; see classic art in the Louvre Abu Dhabi (closed on Mondays); splash around at Yas Waterpark; ride the world’s fastest rollercoaster at Ferrari World; go kayaking in the mangroves; go dune-bashing in the Liwa Desert; attend the F1 Grand Prix and after shows in November each year; go on safari at Sir Bani Yas Island; shop for good-value gold and diamonds at the Gold Centre at Madinat Zayed; try Arabic coffee; get pampered at Emirates Palace Spa; tour the Abu Dhabi Falcon Hospital."

Full story at:

https://www.escape.com.au/destinations/middle-east/abu-dhabi-etiquette-and-top-things-to-see/news-story/34fd93ad6e280058ba2dafa28aea2fae?ad_sec2=middle-east

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 247,658 views.

Below are two of the visuals used to illustrate this profile about Abu Dhabi from this Australia news source.:

563059919_ScreenShot2019-06-30at3_54_57PM.thumb.png.c468132ffce78bad205ce8d1064cf100.png

1311798438_ScreenShot2019-06-30at4_03_02PM.thumb.png.3af60e627154080583b5ca90d28006cc.png

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2019 at 1:27 PM, TLCOhio said:

WOW!!  Super appreciate your rating as an "A+" and these follow-up comments.  Shouldn't I try to do better??  You've been very kind.  It's fun sharing background from our adventures. 

Agree that we really looking forward to flying with Wings Airways and seeing these dramatic sights around and near Juneau, Alaska.  BUT, weather in that area can be a challenge.  We will hope for the best!!  On the Silversea board, I am planning to do a live/blog with many visuals, etc.

Above you mentioned about needing to show a card when getting wine, drinks, etc., when with SS.  No need to share any cards with Silversea.  It's all included!!  Yes, with Oceania, there are some "hassles" in showing and doing a charge to your card, etc.  It's possible that Oceania books up earlier on their best offerings as their prices are lower.  BUT, comparable room size differences might or might not make the Silversea's pricing worth it.  Keep researching and let me know any added question, info needs, etc.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 82,014 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Thank you for this review!  Because Silversea wanted 175% for their solo fare, I'm on Seabourn instead; SB is 125% and had an upgrade special and fabulous price on business class air.  Just booked for May 2020 from Dubai to Athens.  Now will work on excursions.  Would like to do private tours but not sure how the tour guides will react to a solo female.

Am following along on your Alaska jaunt.  I have that on Princess for August 2020 with a friend and her mother.  Glacier Bay and College Fjord were the drivers.  Previously did SS roundtrip Vancouver back in 2009.

Looking forward to Denali pix!

Missy in Maryland

On 11/29/2018 at 3:45 AM, TLCOhio said:

Below is a real and fresh "UPDATE" as to our ship's position in the Red Sea and the current weather conditions.  It's a little cloudy outside, but the visual I just snapped on our cabin TV screen shows a temperature of 87F with a humidity of 79%.  Yes, I was correct in sensing these conditions earlier in the morning as to be hot and humid.  I am sure it will get even warmer by mid afternoon.  

We next arrive Sunday, December 2 in Salalah, Oman.  We will be in port there 10 am-6 pm.

Super loved different many parts of the Caribbean in 2015!!!  See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at the link of "Barbados: Our Pix's, Experiences!":

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2262999

This visual below summarizes well our current ship/travel position (yellow downward arrow).  Tomorrow we will be approaching the potential "danger zone" as the passage narrows in going into the Gulf of Aden and then we will be closest to the pirates and/or others from Somalia, Yemen, etc.   Soon, we will be passing fairly new countries called Eritrea and Djibouti with their very exotic names.  Eritrea used to be a part of Ethiopia until 1991 and several decades of battles.  Djibouti had earlier connection with France until 1977.  This is an interesting and unique part of the world.  Glad that we will not be making any port stops in Yemen or Somalia.  Just keep on sailing to Salalah in Oman will be fine for our schedule!!:

IMG_3209.jpg.5c4c84b1d48d86bedb9c09a1092329b0.jpg

We have traveled with Hassan E. on a similar cruise and I am very happy to see your post and the info about his father as well. He is the BEST lecturer we have had on our numerous O'cruises. I still keep in touch with him from time and time and always hope that we will be able to see him again. He is a wonderful person to meet and know.

And, you blog is fantastic, I enjoy seeing the photos of places we have been and will be again next year on a cruise from Singapore to Rome. excited cruise traveler

On 7/30/2019 at 9:11 PM, MHF said:

Thank you for this review!  Because Silversea wanted 175% for their solo fare, I'm on Seabourn instead; SB is 125% and had an upgrade special and fabulous price on business class air.  Just booked for May 2020 from Dubai to Athens.  Now will work on excursions.  Would like to do private tours but not sure how the tour guides will react to a solo female.  Am following along on your Alaska jaunt.  I have that on Princess for August 2020 with a friend and her mother.  Glacier Bay and College Fjord were the drivers.  Previously did SS roundtrip Vancouver back in 2009.  Looking forward to Denali pix!  Missy in Maryland

Appreciate these very good follow-ups and posts. Good luck to those planning future travel to the Middle East.  For Missy, agree that those "single supplements" can be challenging and costly.  You were very smart to seek the best value.  I do not doubt that Seabourn will be nice and offer excellent quality.  Our first cruise in 2006 was with them and we would be happy to try them again.  As single travel, YES, setting up private tours can be more difficult than when you already have a group of two couples.  I would write and ask the major people for Jerusalem, Luxor and Petra to ask if they can put together one person with some other couples.  Many do not offer that important options.  But, some might, maybe and hopefully, could offer ideas and suggestion.  Plus, posting on Cruise Critic might allow that type of grouping.  More later on the other questions.  

Just completed yesterday, for our first time, flying into Calgary, seeing Jasper/Banff National Parks, doing the Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, having three days in Vancouver, then sailing up to Alaska, doing a post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  After that on our priority list is a first-time trip for exploring in early 2020 various South Pacific islands, including Fiji, Samoa, Bora Bora, etc.   Would commence this 18-day cruise in mid February from Auckland.  We plan to get there a week ahead in order to explore more of New Zealand's North Island and be escaping from the Midwest winter cold.  In 2014, we did Wellington, Napier/Cape Kidnappers, Tauranga/Rotorua and Auckland/Waiheke Island, etc.  Will welcome all good suggestion for other exciting opportunities and fun locations in NZ's North Island.  More good photo opportunities??

Just completed Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Lots of visuals and details!!  That live/blog is at: 

www.boards.cruisecdritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Or, you could simply do a quick Google search with these terms: 

“Live Terry/Ohio Muse Alaska”

Terry, there's a typo in the link you posted:  a "d" in the midst of cruisecritic in the link.  I'm just now catching up with your travels.

Appreciate Barb catching of this "goof".  Have corrected and will update the other posts with this better link.

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

CORRECT LINK

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Terry

Thank you for all of the excellent information you have provided on this thread.  We are travelling on Nautica next year, Singapore to Rome, so will be visiting many of the ports you have discussed.  We have already engaged or enquired of some of the guides you have mentioned.

We have one specific question that I hope you can help with, and apologies if you have already addressed it and we have missed the reference.

At Petra, the walk through the Siq to the Treasury appears more challenging than we are capable of.  The horse and carriage ride would not be a first preference.  We read about golf buggies being available.  Did you see these in operation and do you have any intelligence on whether they can be reserved in advance and whether there are enough of them to serve the demand?

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

23 hours ago, rialannah said:

Terry:  Thank you for all of the excellent information you have provided on this thread.  We are travelling on Nautica next year, Singapore to Rome, so will be visiting many of the ports you have discussed.  We have already engaged or enquired of some of the guides you have mentioned.  We have one specific question that I hope you can help with, and apologies if you have already addressed it and we have missed the reference.  At Petra, the walk through the Siq to the Treasury appears more challenging than we are capable of.  The horse and carriage ride would not be a first preference.  We read about golf buggies being available.  Did you see these in operation and do you have any intelligence on whether they can be reserved in advance and whether there are enough of them to serve the demand?  Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Mike

Hi, Mike!!  Appreciate this above good question, nice comments and follow-up.  YES, we did take advantage of this new "electric golf cart" options as one member of our group of four had been having serious back challenges.  He could not walk down, nor take the "risks" with those fast horse/carriage carts.   As I recall and pull up right now from my "foggy" brain, I think use of the electric cart was about $100 USD for our group of four and was just added on to the total cost of our tour we paid at the end of our excursion.  It was arranged that morning by our excellent tour guide. Clearly working with a good and skilled company makes a positive difference.  That $100 cost allowed for going down there and back over a total of a one-hour period.  Our friends went back by the cart.  We stayed a little longer, explored around more and walked back.  You have been correctly advised to be careful about those "pony carts".  Those drivers are fast in going over the rocky road and that would be challenging for some with medical issues. 

Need more and/or any other info?

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 236,837 views.