Christmas On Board: Seeking Tips

JennAngel9

Hi, we'll be travelling with 2 pre-schoolers over Christmas on board Celebrity.  This is our first Christmas at sea with kids and I'm hoping other people can chime in with ideas about anything from decor, holiday traditions (that don't require additional bulk in our luggage!), and even fun gifts that aren't too big!

I'll start a few tips I've modified from other boards:

Bring magnetic hooks (should stick to stateroom wall) and hang small stockings on the hooks.

Pack presents that are also useful for the trip (like a pair of new pajamas or pants themed like favorite disney princess).

Load favorite holiday music on iphone.

Any others?

We sailed in mid-Dec. last year.  We took a miniature USB powered Christmas tree for the cabin.  We had a power pack and took it to the MDR and put it on our table.  We also have several of these suction cup ornaments that we used for night lights, especially in the bathroom.  No possibility of nightlights in bath on Carnival, so we plugged it into a power pack at night.  Works great, suctioned to mirror:

https://www.amazon.com/d/Indoor-String-Lights/RadioShack-USB-Powered-Acrylic-Christmas-Tree/B00U0EIL02/ref=sr_1_39?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1542595059&sr=1-39&keywords=usb+christmas+tree

We brought our Elf on the Shelf for our cruise last year, and had fun setting it up around the cabin. Our steward even joined in on the fun, and incorporated the elf into some of the towel animal set-ups. We brought christmas window clings that stuck to the door (from the dollar store, super cheap and easy to pack). We also did a "christmas ball", with goodies inside for ages ranging from 1 to 14. Candies, small toys, glow sticks and things for the glow party, all wrapped up in a big cling-wrap ball that the kids had to take turns unwrapping with mittens on. A fun little christmas game we did in our cabin one night.

NikkiDee, that sounds hilarious but our kids are 2 and 4 so I think it would be difficult enough for them with no gloves. 😉

I've been debating window clings on the door-- upside is holiday cheer, downside is I love the view out the window and don't want the visual clutter.  I can probably live with decor only as high as the kids can reach. 

Be careful with colored window clings.  They may have dyes in them that will leach onto the surface.  This happened on a luxury line several years ago and the occupants had to pay thousands to have the wall panels replaced.  Window clings on mirrors or windows...EM

When we had toddlers we made a tree out of felt with ornaments they could rearrange. 20 years later Ive seen that someone sells them now. Wouldnt take much space in luggage or cabin. Could hang with magnets or command strips. Check amazon or ebay.

Edited by Athankfulheart

I bought magnetic decorations at the Dollar Tree for each of our cabin doors and they would work on the walls also because they are metal.  The dollar store also has hang up trees that you could put up with a suction cup instead of taking space with a tree.  Don't forget you cannot wrap the presents before you go if flying and I believe the cruise line also recommends you don't wrap them for security check.

Gift ideas:  Christmas pajamas, book or activity book, individual ginger bread cookies in a tin, stocking filled with typical stocking items, disposable camera and a photo book for kids to record their own memories, old maid or uno cards, travel size etch a sketch