Cruise Critic Community
donaldsc

Downloading Kindle Books from Library while on the Ship

I routinely download books from my public library to my Kindle reader before I leave on a cruise.  I never buy any Kindle books.  I just borrow them.  The problem is that you can only borrow them from the library for 21 days and I have several longer cruises coming up with a number of sea days.  I hate sea days and the only thing that keeps me sane on sea days is having something to read.

I wonder if anyone has ever downloaded library books to a Kindle using the ship WiFi.  I know that ship WiFi is slow but I am unlimited internet time so a slow download time is not a problem.  

Basically, the way the download would have to work is as follows - 

1) I link my Kindle to the address of the ship WiFi.  This might present a problem if the link to the ship WiFi is not possible or a password is necessary.

2) I log onto the library site on pick the book(s) to download.  I would make a list of books to download in advance as browsing the library site is slow.

3) I select a book to download and the library sends the book to my account on Amazon.  This would essentially require that I am linked to 2 places on the internet - my library and to Amazon.

4) The book is then transferred to my Amazon account and is then transferred wirelessly to my Kindle.

Does any of this make any sense?  Is it possible?  Is anyone who goes on cruises doing this?  If this would not work does anyone have any other suggestions.

I know that I could buy the books from Amazon but I don't want to buy them.  I want to borrow them and return them when I am done reading them.

DON

There are literally thousands of FREE  Kindle books that you can download from Amazon. Why not just do that?

Edited by zqvol

2 hours ago, zqvol said:

There are literally thousands of FREE  Kindle books that you can download from Amazon. Why not just do that?

Good thought.  I had not thought of that.  Thanks.

DON

I have downloaded books on my kindle before while on the ship. It's slow and frustrating, but do-able. I got frustrated, because sometimes it will drop the signal when the book is 1/2 downloaded, so you have to reconnect before you can finish downloading the book. I have since just started putting some paperbacks in my luggage. I still like a good book, in book form. But to answer your question - if you have the patience for it, yes, it can be done!

I believe if you download all of your books and then put your Kindle in airplane mode you should be fine.

While it is possible to find a good free kindle book from Amazon, my experience is if you want a popular good best seller, you will have to buy.  On my cruise I was able to download an eBook from the library, but not without some frustration and effort.  My advise would be to just spend a few bucks and buy some good books from Amazon before the cruise if you will be gone for more than 21 days.  

I know I'm joining this discussion late, but just saw it and thought I'd add my 2 cents...