Halifax - Via Rail Car Rental - back entrance?

WorkerBee74

Question for those who have rented a car from an agency (any one) inside the Via Rail station (Enterprise/National at the station or Dollar/Thrifty at the Westin).

I've been trying to streetview the back of the station from Marginal Road and I can't see if there's a back entrance to get in there without having to walk all the way around.  South of the train station are the train tracks so it doesn't look like you can cross there, and north of the station you'd have to walk all the way up to Terminal Road and around.

Reason I ask is it would be a 5 minute walk through the back, but probably over 15 mins to go all the way around.  I'll be with my elderly mother and I don't want her to have to walk all the way around (but if we can get in through the back she'd be OK).  Otherwise I'll have to arrange to get her settled somewhere to sit and I'll run and pick up the car and come back to pick her up.

This would also be on a Saturday next September.

Thank you!

maybe they have a shuttle from the port to the rental office

Have you  tried calling one of the  rental places ?

Enterprise usually pick you up & take you to the office to fill in the paperwork 

You can get in the back but it's not well marked.  If you're in Google street view you'll see the sign for the VIA Rail parking lot.  If you zoom in on that view you'll see the rear door.  It has a small sign over it.  In October it had some scaffolding around it but it was still open.  From there you can either make your way to National or to the Marriott through some internal hallways.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2018 at 11:33 AM, LHT28 said:

maybe they have a shuttle from the port to the rental office

Have you  tried calling one of the  rental places ?

Enterprise usually pick you up & take you to the office to fill in the paperwork 

The rental agency is sooo close to the pier they'd probably laugh at me, and quite honestly I don't know they could actually get in closer to the boat much further than I could walk haha.  I can walk no problem, it's just my mom that I was concerned about.  Definitely going to use the "Pick Up" option from Enterprise in other ports though!

On 11/19/2018 at 10:30 PM, ericosmith said:

You can get in the back but it's not well marked.  If you're in Google street view you'll see the sign for the VIA Rail parking lot.  If you zoom in on that view you'll see the rear door.  It has a small sign over it.  In October it had some scaffolding around it but it was still open.  From there you can either make your way to National or to the Marriott through some internal hallways.  

Ah... yes, I see it!  Thank you SO much, now that I know where to look... I see the small blue/yellow sign with Via logo on it.  This is exactly what I needed!! I'm sure we can make it together that far. :classic_cool:

Edited by WorkerBee74

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/11/2019 at 12:08 AM, Cruise Cynic said:

We rented a car from an agency in the train station last summer for a drive to Peggy's Cove. You enter through a small back door on the rear parking lot, follow a corridor, and take an elevator up to the concourse level. 

How long is the drive to Peggy's Cove from the dock?