Transatlantic - which ship

• 2 weeks later...

I have not cruised HAL but did a 19 day Panama Canal cruise from Vancouver to Miami on the Pearl. It was the best cruise that we’ve been on in regards to onboard enjoyment. We had a “bowling with the NCL stars” tournament over the course of the cruise and it was fantastic. I’m told this tournament is held only on 14 day cruises. If you get a chance to participate, go for it. The crew got to know us and we were treated like VIPs for the entire cruise.

Edited by lamchops

Out of the 22 cruises I have been on only one is a  transatlantic. In November of 2017 I took my 22 yo son on the Celebrity Silhouette. It was the trip of a life time! We booked the trip 10 days before it set sail from Rome. The folks on the Celebrity customer service were great at making this trip pain free.  The trip included stops at Florence, Barcelona, Majorca, Canary Islands and stop in France that was cancelled  because of the weather. My son was the youngest  passenger. This didn't affect him till we actually had 7 days at sea. Our cabin was a balcony mid ship on the 8th floor. We had the late dinner seating because of how late we booked the cruise. The port days were awesome. The sites were not that busy because it was near the end of the tourist season. On sea days they had guest speakers that I found very interesting and I also took origami classes. There was also games and tournaments during the sea days. I joined my first slots tournament. The pool was busy but the water was too cold for a Floridian. 

Just realize the days are easy its the 7 sea days in a row that are a little trying if you don't decide to be adventurous. I tried a new thing every day and went to every free activity I could. On my down time I read a book and did my Sudoku. I'm not a fan of NCL and HAL is a little too quiet for me. Have you sailed with either of them?  I would gauge your experiences with the 2 cruise lines with your activity level. We usually cruise RCL so we are used to tons of things to do but I knew going into this cruise it was not as high energy as we were used to so I came prepared. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:18 AM, lamchops said:

I have not cruised HAL but did a 19 day Panama Canal cruise from Vancouver to Miami on the Pearl. It was the best cruise that we’ve been on in regards to onboard enjoyment. We had a “bowling with the NCL stars” tournament over the course of the cruise and it was fantastic. I’m told this tournament is held only on 14 day cruises. If you get a chance to participate, go for it. The crew got to know us and we were treated like VIPs for the entire cruise.

Can you share with me the date you went on your HAL...I would love this cruise...especially living in Miami...refresh my memory...Pearl is NCL is it not?....thanks

I had stated that I haven’t cruised HAL but did the NCL Pearl.

On 12/20/2018 at 2:03 PM, Littleribbie said:

Can you share with me the date you went on your HAL...I would love this cruise...especially living in Miami...refresh my memory...Pearl is NCL is it not?....thanks

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 5:03 PM, Littleribbie said:

Hi! We're considering the HAL Rotterdam for an 18 day crossing from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale, sailing 11/2/19.  We are booked on a Viking Ocean cruise that disembarks in Athens 2 days prior. With the ridiculous cost of air fare to get back to FL from there, we thought doing a repositioning crossing would be really cool. 

My wife did a panama canal cruise on HAL and loved it! We are older 60-65 so HAL appeals to us. 

• 2 weeks later...