Cyber Monday Sale - What will it be?

TrolleyGirl

12 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I was wondering too. M.R. ? Doing a great job so far. I’m happy for our former PCC, she’s thrilled to be able to stay home with her new baby. 🙂

Yup!  Yes, he is very responsive.  It was a bit of a surprise to me when I got our former PCC's auto response saying that she had quit.

6 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Apparently.  My PCC was the one who advised me about it.  One has to book a cruise with a PCC in November to get it.  I got $37.50 per person for a verandah cabin for a 14 day cruise.

Sheesh.  And here’s me holding off on booking my next cruise.  Thank you Alberta Quilter!

I rechecked my cruise today (the one I booked yesterday) to see if the fare changed due to the Cyber sale being off.  It did, by $100 pp.  Of course, I got free grats which is worth over $225 pp and a $25 beverage card (pp).

Just an interesting observation IMO.

Congratulations to all posters who were able to use the Cyber Sale promotion. It really was a good one especially as prices were kept at  the same or mostly the same level . And pre-paid grats as well as a beverage card is much more interesting ( to us and to many others as I have noted in your responses) than for example Explore4 with inflated prices on top.

For those who have wondered if I was able to book a cruise with the promo in Europe: No, I wasn't - after several e-mails und requests I was simply told "No, only for the US market."

That would have been ok for me if it was stated clearly somewhere even in tiny print - but it wasn't, as the Sale was clearly offered on the German website. I afraid I'll have to call that "deception of customers" and am not happy with Holland America at the moment. As a result I cancelled the quite expensive cruise I had on hold because I felt deceived - the few hundred $ I would have saved came only second or third .

I really accept the policy of offering different promos in different countries and the American/Canadian market is obviously the best in that context - the thing I was unhappy with was being lured into the net and then thrown out again because of being too small or of a wrong shape a fish to fry. ( On the other hand - the fish is swimming freely again and is lurking in different waters i.e. cruiselines...!)

But as said before: I'm really happy with all those who were able to get a good deal! It's a bit similar to those posters telling us of getting a  nice or even great upgrade!

1 hour ago, grayjay said:

Congratulations to all posters who were able to use the Cyber Sale promotion. It really was a good one especially as prices were kept at  the same or mostly the same level . And pre-paid grats as well as a beverage card is much more interesting ( to us and to many others as I have noted in your responses) than for example Explore4 with inflated prices on top.

For those who have wondered if I was able to book a cruise with the promo in Europe: No, I wasn't - after several e-mails und requests I was simply told "No, only for the US market."

That would have been ok for me if it was stated clearly somewhere even in tiny print - but it wasn't, as the Sale was clearly offered on the German website. I afraid I'll have to call that "deception of customers" and am not happy with Holland America at the moment. As a result I cancelled the quite expensive cruise I had on hold because I felt deceived - the few hundred $ I would have saved came only second or third .

I really accept the policy of offering different promos in different countries and the American/Canadian market is obviously the best in that context - the thing I was unhappy with was being lured into the net and then thrown out again because of being too small or of a wrong shape a fish to fry. ( On the other hand - the fish is swimming freely again and is lurking in different waters i.e. cruiselines...!)

But as said before: I'm really happy with all those who were able to get a good deal! It's a bit similar to those posters telling us of getting a  nice or even great upgrade!

I don't blame you one little bit.  I'd be more than ticked off if a promotion was offered on the website for my country and I wasn't allowed to book it!  I'm really sorry that you were unable to take advantage of this promotion because I agree with you, it's worth more to us than the Explore4 promotion.

I just spoke to the agent at a big box store to refare my 14 day Northern European cruise with the Cyber sale.  It originally looked like we’d save $300 on the fare, but because I had asked for prepaid gratuities under another offer, HAL said they would give me the Cyber sale deal, but my $600 deposit would be nonrefundable. Soooo, it looks like they’ll be no more discounts if I use the Cyber offer. I’m wondering if the price will go down by our sail date, August 2019, possibly during Wave season. I’d appreciate any ideas. TIA

8 hours ago, gunna9 said:

I just spoke to the agent at a big box store to refare my 14 day Northern European cruise with the Cyber sale.  It originally looked like we’d save $300 on the fare, but because I had asked for prepaid gratuities under another offer, HAL said they would give me the Cyber sale deal, but my $600 deposit would be nonrefundable. Soooo, it looks like they’ll be no more discounts if I use the Cyber offer. I’m wondering if the price will go down by our sail date, August 2019, possibly during Wave season. I’d appreciate any ideas. TIA

As we regularly cruise to Northern Europe in the summer season I always keep my eyes open in regard to cruise fares and I have noticed that the best deals usually are to be had in the early summer which means May or early June. August is holiday season in European countries, so price drops are less likely. You'll also mostly find them for the shorter cruises on the bigger ships. One example: Best deals for Northern Europe in 2019 I noticed to be had for May (Rotterdam, all categories, Prinsendam lower-grade cabins), later in summer there were deals to be had for Koningsdam for shorter cruises and/ or the Mediterranean. But all of these were last-minute deals quite often after final payment limit.

Hope this helps - even if it could be totally different for the 2019 season. I have also read somewhere that in many European countries Northern Europe is a destination well favored by many and that cruises tend to sell out early. I'll nevertheless keep my fingers crossed for you. Sometimes in January/February I have noticed some good deals for the summer months but quite often the full cruise fare is to be paid and non-refundable which is a bit tricky in my opinion. (might be different in the US!)

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2018 at 7:21 PM, Alberta Quilter said:

I don't blame you one little bit.  I'd be more than ticked off if a promotion was offered on the website for my country and I wasn't allowed to book it!  I'm really sorry that you were unable to take advantage of this promotion because I agree with you, it's worth more to us than the Explore4 promotion.

This has also happened to me several times.  Free grats shown on website, but a follow up phone call from HAL (UK) said 'No' only for N American customers! 

Just to show HAL's obscure perceptions of the different markets:  In USA you can call HAL on a toll free number.  In UK/Ireland the HAL phone number in a non geographic chargeable call.  From Ireland, it is cheaper to call Seattle than the UK HAL number.

• 11 months later...

So I know this is 2018's thread but oddly no one has created one for this year.

I do not see a sale on HAL's site yet. However, two large travel agents that I use are offering free gratuities on verandahs or suites (I created a separate thread on that). I am looking at a January cruise that had a Private Sale fare of $1399 that supposedly expired last week. The price is now $100 less, so $1299 and it is combinable with the offer. I'd been holding off on booking to see if there would be a free gratuities deal and was pleased to see it.

I do not see the $25 beverage card that was offered in 2018.

Edited by MisterBill99