Current Seadream I crossing

Avidcruiser76

On 11/30/2018 at 5:39 PM, tichbu said:

Thanks to all for these updates. Is SD1 in dry dock now.? We were due to sail from Barbados on the 8th,  we’ve now been give an expected date of the 10th and we're beginning to wonder  whether the ship will arrive in time for the rescheduled sailing. By the way we’ve seen no evidence of the generous compensation mentioned by others above. 

We’ d be grateful  to hear any news. 

Thanks. 

Hi, I am sailing  on that date and just got the call today that it is not going to sail until the 10th. I am also wondering what day it really will sail. I am stressed about vacation which I thought was supposed to be fun and to relieve stress.  Glad I found this post as it has me more informed than my agent. 

Edited by Rcskyhigh

On 12/2/2018 at 5:59 PM, tichbu said:

Is there any chance that SD1 can make up time on the TA ? If the crossing usually takes at least 10 days it seems unlikely to arrive in Barbados by the 10th which is our rescheduled boarding date . 

I‘ve read that the usual cruising speed is 15 knots, does anyone know if SD1 can go any faster?

We haven't been told anything apart from the new departure date so it’s thanks to all for putting us in the picture. 

I was also going to ask you what hotel did they give you or what other options due to late arrival?

On 12/2/2018 at 3:27 PM, Skyking.310 said:

It looks like it left the harbor and is heading to Barbados. We are booked on the shortened cruise for December 10.

AB5EBCE2-1471-4754-8C61-6497F320692E.png

I am booked on it too. Hope it gets there by Dec. 10th.  What the company offer you for the late arrival? 

17 hours ago, Rcskyhigh said:

I was also going to ask you what hotel did they give you or what other options due to late arrival?

Hi.

We’ve booked our own accommodation for the two nights and Sea Dream have offered us a pro-rata refund. Our travel agent is not very impressed and is pushing for some compensation. 

Hoping all goes to plan now. 

See all onboard !

Quick update before cocktail. We are 18 passengers onboard, and still on track to reach Barbados on Monday around 11am (and then at the mercy of the harbor and pilot’s schedule).

One of the benefits of such a late crossing is the weather. The sea has been pretty much perfect since we left Las Palmas.

Jim, no further information on what the technical issue was, but the captain at least said we did not hit a rock, or had a hull breach, like some rumors were hinting. This still leaves a lot of possibilities.

We are running full speed ahead on two engines without any (visible) glitch.

And because we are on the Canary to Caribbean route, we have been passing a large number of sail bots crossing, from small cats to large squared topsail schooner (the Wylde Swan today during lunch)

Edited by TheFrenchGuy

Thanks for the update FrenchGuy.  18 pax!  no problems getting a Bali Bed I bet.  The hauling out of the vessel means there would have been some repair needed that could not be done in the water.  Replacing a valve, a through hull fitting, propeller shaft packing, propeller or rudder issues.   Any way it was for sure not something SD wanted and seemed to be handled rather quickly given that it was an un scheduled haul out.  59 passengers is the least we ever sailed with so enjoy your space.

Thanks for the updates, French Guy.   I do remember one crossing when we had about 18 passengers.. lots of space available.  What were the topics for the guest speakers on the trip?  Did they stay on and expand their lecture series, or did they leave the ship while it was in Dry Dock?  Are you guys scheduled for the spring crossing?  And if so, on SDI or II?  We will be on SDII out of Barbados.  

SD1 is coming around the south coast of Barbados now - 630 AM Eastern USA time - Mon. 10 Dec. “on schedule” per the revised itinerary once she was able to depart Gran Canaria.  Perhaps now we will learn more.  Those on the shortened voyage will be departing today.  As always, the best crew in the world will take excellent care of them!

Unfortunately we had to disembark in Gran Canaria as we had to be back in UK on 2 December. The whole thing was complete stress & hassle, mitigated by the wonderful crew.

I'd now like to add that SD have acted very honourably, not only reimbursing the complete cost of the holiday [cruise, hotel, flights] but also our incidental expenses - [transport to & from airports, additional hotels etc]. No quibble from them whatever.

So well done SD for stepping up to the mark. You'll see us again.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, oliveau said:

Unfortunately we had to disembark in Gran Canaria as we had to be back in UK on 2 December. The whole thing was complete stress & hassle, mitigated by the wonderful crew.

I'd now like to add that SD have acted very honourably, not only reimbursing the complete cost of the holiday [cruise, hotel, flights] but also our incidental expenses - [transport to & from airports, additional hotels etc]. No quibble from them whatever.

So well done SD for stepping up to the mark. You'll see us again.

Glad to hear that they have treated you well, we had the next Transatlantic booked on SD1and hearing about this problem we got a bit neurotic about it. SeaDream were not at all reassuring about what they would do if there were problems, they wouldn't even talk to us about it , so rather than take the risk and lose money on flights etc we just cancelled.

You'd  think with a small company like that and not getting enough bookings to fill ships on Transatlantics they might be a bit more responsive to booked passengers, but they just said Ok cancel if you want. Weren't bothered.

Our first and last attempt at booking on this line.

• 2 months later...